Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encore 50 caliber

Default Encore 50 caliber

Anybody on here shooting one of these? If so what load and bullet are you shooting? I have a new one that I got to shoot five rounds through today and was not very impressed with the way it shot. I was shooting 240 grain Hornady Sabots with 100 grs. of Pyrodex RS. I was just trying to get the gun on paper today so I can move to 100 yards the next time I get to shoot. I was shooting about 25 yards today and got about a 2 inch group. The gun was on a bench and bagged. Gun was also cleaned good between every shot. The ones of you shooting them did you have to shoot them a few times before they settled down and started grouping good? I have several other brands of bullets that I can try when I get more time. Thanks for any help you can give me.

340? powerbelts with 100 to 150 grains triple x behind them. I do not like sabots. We started with omega's and have encore's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Anybody on here shooting one of these? If so what load and bullet are you shooting? I have a new one that I got to shoot five rounds through today and was not very impressed with the way it shot. I was shooting 240 grain Hornady Sabots with 100 grs. of Pyrodex RS. I was just trying to get the gun on paper today so I can move to 100 yards the next time I get to shoot. I was shooting about 25 yards today and got about a 2 inch group. The gun was on a bench and bagged. Gun was also cleaned good between every shot. The ones of you shooting them did you have to shoot them a few times before they settled down and started grouping good? I have several other brands of bullets that I can try when I get more time. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    When you say on the bench and bagged.... what does that mean?

The reason I ask is - I've had difficulty getting tight groups when shooting from the bench using a lead sled. But when resting the fore end on bags with the stock against the shoulder ... then had good groupings.

I would suggest that you shoot it in the same manner (rest, shooting positions) that you intend to use when hunting with it.

The rest I am useing is a 4 chamber bag in the front that creates a chanel for the barrel to rest in with a groved rest in the rear made of leather. It also has a grove in it for the stock to set in.

I would suggest that you try it without the fancy rest.

It is not a fancy rest. Just something to put the gun on so you can shoot it. The gun is against my sholder and just laying on this rest.

Oops meant to say triple 7 powder. I know that the rest you are using sounds like a simple one but I too sight my guns in on a bench without a rest. Might try it just for the heck of it.

I shoot the encore and also have bone collector. To get both rifles to group I have the gun clean and cool almost cold and there dead on. But once they warm up there all over. I didn't realize it until the second day of shooting when my first shot was dead on. I'm shoot 395 power belt lead with 110 grains off triple 7. This spring in may ill be glad to meet you at birth wood and shoot with you. I was messed up myself until this old man named jack helped me.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have one and think it shoots great. My best load is 290 gr. Barnes Spitfire TMEZ with 120 gr pyrodex pellets.

I doubt you are going to get any barrel "break-in" using sabots as they wouldn't be hard enough to do anything. On the other hand, I'm not sure cast conicals or round ball being made of lead are going to do anything either. I'm not a ML'er guy, just reading the forum.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    I doubt you are going to get any barrel "break-in" using sabots as they wouldn't be hard enough to do anything. On the other hand, I'm not sure cast conicals or round ball being made of lead are going to do anything either. I'm not a ML'er guy, just reading the forum.
    Mike
    I've never shot enough sabots to know for sure. But with lead conicals and patched balls it takes 100-200 shots to smooth the bore noticeably. You can cut the corner by going to one size smaller jag and cutting a square of a green Scotchbrite kitchen scouring pad, then pumping that in the bore around 100 strokes. I know guys that use steel wool, but carefully and only for a couple of dozen shots. I've fire lapped a couple and saw neither benefits nor demerits compared the Scotchbrite or simply shooting.

You may need to just play with your load, smokepoles can be picky eaters. I have a Black Diamond XR (stupid washington laws) that absolutely loves 300gr Hornady SST's in front of 90gr of 777 FFG. My buddy shoots a Knight and he can't hardly hit paper at 50 yds with the same load. Don't write off the gun just yet, I have multiple TC guns and all of them are tack drivers.

Hey Cast Iron, I broke in a brand new TC Pro Hunter today and maybe can shed some input....
    1st, my new gun had a trigger pull of almost 6lbs - so I ordered some trigger springs from Bellmstc and for $49.00 it is breaking nicely at 3.75lbs. ( This is my second TC and the 1st needed a trigger job also to improve the groups ).
    Today I shot TC 250gr Sabots and put 3/3 shot groups at about 1in at 75yards. I also shot 1/ 3 shot group with 223gn powerbelts 1.4 in and 245gr powerbelts - 1.25 using 100 grains of pyrodex pellets...
    I swab the barrel about 10 strokes ( pull it all the way out each time so you get last few inches good and clean ) with 2 patches pre-soaked from TC in a convenient jar. I will say the powerbelts load much easier but are not quite as accurate in general.
    I was adjusting the scope on the 250 gr loads as it was almost dead on right from the start or all 10 shots would have likely ended up under 2 inches...
    The cleaning and trigger pull are def pluses when it comes to accuracy with BP guns..... The Bellmtc kits are easy to install and take about 1 - 1/2 hrs...
    Good Luck!

50cal 121.jpg50cal 12.jpg
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My Encore is a tack driver (>2 inch groups)at 100 yards with T/C Shock wave 250 grain Sabot and two pyrodex 50/50 pellets. Swabbed with a bore butter patch between shots. Plenty of energy to kill big game. The bear in my avatar was shot with this load with no bullet recovery because of complete pass through.

I am still watching this thread I have just not had time to shoot much lately. The trigger is not my problem here. I have owned this gun several years and shoot under 1 inch with a 7mm Remington barrel on it. I should have things caught up around here before long and get to shoot some more. Thanks to all that have posted and I will post back when I get to shoot some more.

Cast Iron, I think the TC cleaning patches are T17 if memory serves me. I probably did not elaborate well on the cleaning process but most of us clean conventional rifles from the rear and drag the gunk out from the end of the barrel. On a BP gun we go from the business end and most people hesitate to withdraw the rod out with each stroke and thus you are actually dragging more stuff into the end which is not good. I have followed the treated patches with clean ones and not really found much advantage, so in general I just stroke it 8 - 10 times with the pre lubed patch and load and shoot.
    They are finicky for sure and you may have to experiment with diff bullets and powder... Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Cast Iron, I am shooting 295gr powerbelt lead bullets with 100gr triple seven pellets. It shoots really well at 100yds with open sights. I started with 150 grains but it was much more accurate with 100. I have other powerbelt bullets but have only used it to hunt Sitka Blacktails and the lead bullets do a number on them. The other powerbelts shoot well too and seem much easier to load than the sabots I tried. Hope this helps
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Cast Iron, my Encore didn't shoot Powerbelts worth a hoot. They were easy to load but that was the only thing good in my gun. Like OHTroy, I am now shooting 250gr T/C sabots with 100 grain Pyrodex powder. Very good results at 100 yards. I am going to experiment with more powder/longer ranges soon. Good luck on your shooting.

I am still keeping up with this thread and thanks to all that have posted. I have picked up some more bullets and another scope to try. Will post more when I get a chance to shoot again.

I have had really good results from 250gr Barnes expander MZ with two 777 magnum pellets. Has worked well on several whitetails and one very large cow moose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast