Thread: Moving to Fairbanks... Am I bringing the right guns?

Default Moving to Fairbanks... Am I bringing the right guns?

I will be moving to Fairbanks in August. For small game, I'm bringing a Browning Citori over/under in 20ga. I will also be bringing a Remington Speedmaster .22. My question though, is will the cold have a major effect on the actions or opperations of them? I'm also bringing a .338winmag for bigger game and a .308 for deer... those I'm pretty sure of. I used them in upstate New York in sub zero temps with no problems. The other two stayed home where it is considerably warmer. Also, any info on places to hunt near Fairbanks would be a big help too!

Your gun selection is a perfect choice for Alaska. You may eventually want a 12 ga for waterfowl, but otherwise you're set. (There are no deer on mainland Alaska, but your .308 is perfect for caribou, sheep, black bear, and moose. You can hunt deer on some islands, though.)

Like Brian said, your gun selection is just fine, and don't let the weather scare you, it's not that big of a deal most of the time. I'm going to take a guess and say you are coming from Ft Drumm and heading for Fort Wainwright?

Jim

to echo what everyone else has said... your gun selection is almost perfect.. Lubrication is the thing you want to be careful with. Don't use something that's going to gell up and mess with your firing pin.. There have been a couple of excellent discussions (and disagreements) on here that you might want to look at.. Welcome to the Greatland!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Your gun selection is a perfect choice for Alaska. You may eventually want a 12 ga for waterfowl, but otherwise you're set. (There are no deer on mainland Alaska, but your .308 is perfect for caribou, sheep, black bear, and moose. You can hunt deer on some islands, though.)
    Not in huntable numbers but they are on the mainland. Like my back yard. Around Valdez, over around ___________ Bay and _______ Bay. on _________ Point. They are around but I'm not telling. :-)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Sub zero temps in upstate New York and sub zero temps in Fairbanks are not quite the same. My daughter is up there at UAF and called to tell me her face was freezing off. My answer."You picked it." Anyway, good lubricant,as John stated. Eilison or Wainright?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Not in huntable numbers but they are on the mainland. Like my back yard. Around Valdez, over around ___________ Bay and _______ Bay. on _________ Point. They are around but I'm not telling. :-)
    Yes, yes...I know. I try not to confuse folks by making it seem like mainland hunting is a realistic option, though. Besides, all of the mainland deer are on the coast - point being that he won't be getting much deer hunting in around Fairbanks.

On another note...your backyard, huh? I'll be there with my automatic feeder and treestand next fall!

The Interior is a dry, deep cold unlike New York's damp to-the-bone cold. Your guns are fine and considering our hunting season is August/September time frame -there won't be any issues.

The dry cold is actually pretty easy on guns unless you lube them with 20w50.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thank You, everyone for your help! Yes, I will be going from Drum to Wainwright... Are you allowed to hunt on the ranges there? Drum you can, but you have to fill out a survey and a registration form. My Final question for this thread, How big is a Ptarmigan? Are we talking turkey, chicken or dove sized? I tried to google it, but it just changes to pterodactyl.

Ptarmigan and Grouse are like a big Quail. Larger than a dove and smaller than a chicken.

Lots of military training land to hunt.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JJTHEFETT View Post
    , How big is a Ptarmigan? Are we talking turkey, chicken or dove sized? I tried to google it, but it just changes to pterodactyl.
    DSCN6099.jpg

Here's one...like Steve said, more than a quail and not hardly a chicken.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thank you guys for the information! hodgeman, that looks like a nice bird!

Ft. Drum? I taught school in Watertown and lived in Theresa not far from the base.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JJTHEFETT View Post
    Thank You, everyone for your help! Yes, I will be going from Drum to Wainwright... Are you allowed to hunt on the ranges there? Drum you can, but you have to fill out a survey and a registration form. My Final question for this thread, How big is a Ptarmigan? Are we talking turkey, chicken or dove sized? I tried to google it, but it just changes to pterodactyl.
    Ptarmigan as Stid said are larger than a dove, smaller than a chicken... but if your into exotic hunting.. The Alaskan Willow Ptarmigan is the same species as the famous Red Grouse of Scotland... per ADF&G.

Well, since you're military, you can hunt on Army training lands without purchasing a non-res moose tag. The best place for you to go your first year is likely going to be in the Army's Yukon Training Area (YTA) out behind Eielson AFB. It's 660,000 acres of prime hunting ground for moose, ruffed, spruce, and some sharp-tailed grouse, as well as ptarmigan. But you won't be alone.

What you need to do is get onto ADF&G's website and review the Wildlife Notebook series. And you really should take the ADF&G Hunter Ed class 'cause it's a whole lot more than firearms safety.

Welcome to Interior Alaska, the last great place!

Jim

Outstanding!!! I will definatly check that out! You lived in Theresa? Did you ever see the only moose in NY? It wanders around the range near Antwerp. I think there are actually 5 now. Thanks again for all the help!