Thread: .250-3000?

Default .250-3000?

Anyone up here shoot the .250-3000(250 Savage)? Don't know much about this classic cartridge, just that I'd love to own a Savage 99 chambered for it someday. Seems like it'd be a good 'un for deer, sheep, caribou, coyotes.....
    "– the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

my dad owns 3 savage 99s in 250-3000, .308 and .300 savage...the 250-3000s though......boy what a sweet little gun....tack driver too....havent hunted with it myself but he uses it for bear and big cats down in idaho....tough to find rounds, he reloads his own....i think itd be a great mountain game rifle...

Release Lake Trout

A great and under appreciated cartridge.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

have one built on a mexican mauser great shooter with 110gr accubonds.
    “When the people fear the government, that's tyranny; when the government fears the people, that's freedom.”

I've got a .250 Savage Ackley Improved, which is basically the 250-3000 with a bit of a blown out case with a 40* shoulder like Ackley liked. It's a custom barrel that Mike Bellm turned out for my T/C Contender. If i remember right, he made only two, one for him and one for me. It was my favorite round in California. Could load it perfectly for coyotes and critters all the way up to deer and bear. I wouldn't have hesitated using it on an Elk, but never had the chance... GREAT bullet selection IMHO for the quarter bores, you just need to talk to the bullet makers about the velocity they had planned for them.

I think it will be a great gun for Caribou, but it would indeed be a stretch for moose. :-)

I have an old buddy of mine that has been using the same Savage 99 in 250-3000 since I met him in the mid 70's. There is an old saying that heaps praise on the one rifle man because of the ability he has to use that one rifle. Well that would be my old friend "Woody". I have been loading his ammo for him since we met. That rifle in his hands loaded with his pet load of a 100 grain Hornady soft point on top of a stiff dose of H4350 has killed more game than any other rifle that I know of.

The 250-3000 has got to be one of the most efficient cartridges ever developed and also one of the most underrated cartridges ever developed. Basically what ever the 25-06 will do at 400 yards the 250-3000 will do at 300 with half the fuss.

Anchorage Suburbanites and part time Willowbillies.

I have a Savage 99 .250 / 3000 that was given to me by my Mother. It was given to her by her Dad. My Grandfather used it to hunt deer and small game throughout California. My Mom hunted Northern California Blacktail. I shot my first Blacktail with it. I also used it to take several Caribou when I lived in Barrow.

It is a great shooting rifle; I can shoot one to two inch groups at 100 yards all day with the 87gr ammo.

The ammo used to break 3000 fps is the 87gr bullet which is hard to find in factory ammo. A while back I bought 10 boxes of 100gr factory from a person that advertised on this forum. I think the 100gr factory ammo may still be available.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas; rep to all of ya!
    "– the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

Yup, it's a very "polite" little round for lack of a better word, and useful for all species you note. We've owned several bolts from customs to Ruger M-77's. All were very good, but just not the same as a 99. The bolts seem "overbuilt" unless you get down to a really trim version. I "had" a 99 for a whole week before my wife shot it. Now it's HERS and I'm free to buy another if I really want to shoot one! She's that way. I can tell you that she put over 1,000 rounds through it last year, which is down a little from the year before. We'd be broke if I wasn't a reloader, because I doubt she'd shoot it any less with factory ammo.

The round is potent out of all proportion to its size, and I've never seen one in any model that wasn't a tack driver. If you see any gun in 250 at the right price, nail it. If it's a 99 in good shape, I wouldn't even worry too much about whether it's a good deal or not. Just buy it and enjoy it.

I've got a 99 in 250-3000 that is the takedown version. I love the little lever action and have taken several caribou with it. My sister even took a 52" moose with it years ago. My problem is that it won't zero now because there is the tiniest bit of play in the barrel locking lug. I am hoping to find a gunsmith that an tighten it up so my boy can take it over in a couple of years. It s a great kids cartridge.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have 2 both 99,s ones a EG 24" that I may sell tang sight. And a 99 A scoped with tang safety. Like the little round.

I have zero experience with the 250-3000 but from what I understand, they have a relatively slow twist rate in the Savage 99, so it's best to keep the bullet weight down.

I do however, think I'm crazy about the Savage 99. I (and others) aren't the only ones though, as Bill Ruger was very impressed with it too. He took some of his lessons learned from a Savage 99 and incorporated some of them into his very own designs. Some gun authors have claimed that brass "grows" longer in these rifles due to the rear locking bolt. But, just like most gun magazine writers, they are all full of sht and just parrot off each other until it becomes "common knowledge" in gun magazine world.

There is a famous picture of John Nosler holding a Savage 99 (probably a 250-3000) with a massive trophy mule deer hanging in a tree. The Savage 99 is simple, easy to take apart, strong, and easy to service. Some of them develop slop in the lever over time. This is easily fixed with a shim made from a piece of thin titanium sheet metal, and rolled to take the shape of the lever bushing.

I have a Savage 99 featherweight carbine that's been sent off to get re-bored to 358 Win. The only other mod to do this, is to open up the necks of the Rotary Mag. The best ones IMO are the internal rotary mag models. Some of the cheaper ones had birch stocks with impressed checkering. They are ugly as all git-out if yah ask me. If you get one of these, Boyds makes a walnut replacement stock that requires a bit of fitting.

matnaggewinu

I own 2 now and have owned a total of 4 Savage 99,s in 250-3000 the chambers in most 99,s I have been around are large. Combined with a tapered case, and a rear locking action you will get case stretch, my newer 99 A 70,s era I get a max of 4 firings
    on case life. With dies set to case chamber and moderate loads, I have been using 22-250 brass sized up to extend case life.
    My older 250 Savage 99 EG has a much tighter chamber and get longer case life. Its 1-14 twist 24" and will stabalize most 100 gr bullets. The 99 A 250 twist is 1-10. I have owned 250-3000 tight chambered front locking bolt actions and case life was normal with minimal trimming required.

my 1899 savage 250-3000 is an early model with the safety on the lever and a reciever sight. the trigger is mushy, and it groups about 2 1/2" at 100yds. it still is a great rifle......whose design was far ahead of the competition in it's day. the .250 is an excellent med game caliber, with low recoil and muzzle blast. my rifle seemed to like moderate loads with bullets below 100gr and imr 4064 powder. this classic rifle will continue to be a favorite among hunters most everywhere.
    p.s. i have a couple hundred new primed and unprimed remington cases if you're interested.
    happy trails.
    jh