Thread: Fishing in June 2012

Default Fishing in June 2012

Guys,

I'm coming from South Carolina to see your area of the world in June 2012. Unfortunately the first part of my trip will be on a Cruise Ship that will be docking in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau. At which of these ports would you suggest chartering for Kings?
    MDog

None of them. Check out the ADFG website for last year's catch reports. You will read reports like this: "catch rates improved to 100 rod hours per fish this week, much better than last year". If you are really determined to catch a king on this trip, try this:
    1) charter a floatplane to Gustavus (Glacier Bay) from Juneau, or Craig (Prince of Wales Island) from Ketchikan
    2) Charter a boat for the day and likely catch a king. You also may puke your guts out because the weather on the outside can be terrible. I spent a week on a boat motoring around Prince of Wales Island a few years ago and never did fish on the outside because the seas were never less than 12 ft @ 10 seconds, and got up to over 20 ft.
    3) Charter a float plane to wherever the cruise ship is going to be the next day, and a hotel once you get there, because you aren't going to get back before the boat leaves.

This adventure will cost you between $2000 and $3000 (less if you get someone to share expenses). On the plus side you will get to see and photograph some amazing scenery, and probably even catch a salmon or two.

Big_E

None of the above, what will be your second part of your trip? If you are comming north to Cook Inlet you would have a good shot at a king, or if you were spending time around Craig on POW. You just need to know that a cruise is a cruise, and a fishing trip is a fishing trip!

Thanks. I'll charter something at the Kenai after cruise.

You might have better luck in salt water then in the Kenai! Look into Homer or Anchor Pt for a charter that will target kings and might be doing a king salmon and halibut combo!

Ketchikan.. They've got a good hatchery run of kings in the salt, and June can be very good.

270ti, I would only say yes to Ketchikan if he can book a trip direct with the charter and not through the cruse ship because they give the shaft to the charter owners!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Ketchikan.. They've got a good hatchery run of kings in the salt, and June can be very good.
    I think this option is worth checking out when he is there, but not something to commit to beforehand. My experience is that this run can be very good; I have sometimes had better fishing right off the dock in Auke Bay than anywhere west of there, i.e Soapstone, Three Hill Island, Yakobi Rock, or Deer Harbor. Unfortunately for us visitors, the run seems to last about 3 weeks and the peak of the run varies by 4 weeks, so you can arrive to find great fishing or nothing at all.

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    I think this option is worth checking out when he is there, but not something to commit to beforehand. My experience is that this run can be very good; I have sometimes had better fishing right off the dock in Auke Bay than anywhere west of there, i.e Soapstone, Three Hill Island, Yakobi Rock, or Deer Harbor. Unfortunately for us visitors, the run seems to last about 3 weeks and the peak of the run varies by 4 weeks, so you can arrive to find great fishing or nothing at all.

Big_E
    Juneau has a good run of hatchery kings as well. They guy is coming off a cruise--the cruise is the main thing here. As such, you're giving him advice about places that are not applicable to what he's going to have time for. Summary: go w/a charter out of Ketchikan or Juneau, you have a good chance of catching fish in both places. He can even go low budget and try fishing from the DIPAC dock. They get caught from there every day in the summer. No fishing from Auke Bay dock any more, it's posted no fishing. Plus they don't release fish in the harbor anymore.

Also, good point to MGH55 about contacting them direct. REP +1

plus kenai river will be no bait allowed in june so kings will be next to imposssible to catch.unless the gods are in ur favor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Juneau has a good run of hatchery kings as well. They guy is coming off a cruise--the cruise is the main thing here. As such, you're giving him advice about places that are not applicable to what he's going to have time for. Summary: go w/a charter out of Ketchikan or Juneau, you have a good chance of catching fish in both places. He can even go low budget and try fishing from the DIPAC dock. They get caught from there every day in the summer. No fishing from Auke Bay dock any more, it's posted no fishing. Plus they don't release fish in the harbor anymore.

Also, good point to MGH55 about contacting them direct. REP +1
    The only place I suggested was Auke Bay, a 15 minute cab ride from the cruise ship terminal. I think that qualifies as applicable, although DIPAC is more accessable in that it is a 10 minute walk. Fish do get caught there every day in the summer, but except for that one hot week, usually at a rate of something like 100 rod hours per fish, not what I would call a "good chance".

No released fish in Auke Bay anymore? I hadn't heard about that; thanks.

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    The only place I suggested was Auke Bay, a 15 minute cab ride from the cruise ship terminal. I think that qualifies as applicable, although DIPAC is more accessable in that it is a 10 minute walk. Fish do get caught there every day in the summer, but except for that one hot week, usually at a rate of something like 100 rod hours per fish, not what I would call a "good chance".

No released fish in Auke Bay anymore? I hadn't heard about that; thanks.

Big_E
    DIPAC would be about a 4 mile walk from the closest cruise ship dock. They get caught on a fairly regular basis by people every day, more fish get caught June 20 - July 10 than other times. During that time period it's more tidal than anything, fish generally get picked up on an incoming tide. I would say that the charter guys do pretty well, probably close to Kenai river in terms of fish per rod hour (comparing guided to guided)

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...kingstats.html

Bottom line: this guy would do fine on a salmon charter out of Juneau or Ketchikan.

They don't release fish in Auke Bay harbor anymore, now I believe they release them near Auke creek. So if you were to come to JNU and want to fish from shore in Auke Bay, people fish the area around Auke Creek.

You'll be fine in Ketchikan. Never had an issue pulling kings in June there, especially down near Mountain Point. Lots of kings when the termianl run returns, and you'll be in the middle of it. That 100hrs per fish, well, the ADFG report always says some crazy number like that, but that inculdes all the guys that have no clue. I've never went that long between kings in June and that includes the time I'd be at work not fishing. You're on a charter, I've see and know a few of those guys, you'll catch plenty of fish. Get with Killin Time, nice boat, good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    plus kenai river will be no bait allowed in june so kings will be next to imposssible to catch.unless the gods are in ur favor
    I have caught at least a half dozen kings on the Kenai withought bait. The gods must favor me
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation