Thread: Post Model 70 feeding issues 30.06

Default Post Model 70 feeding issues 30.06

I recently aquired a model 70, the Ranger label from K-mart or whoever sold that version back when. It has the plastic follower and the rounds will nose up in the mag and there seems to be alot of play as I load the mag (play from front to back). I thought it may be due to the plastic follower so I ordered the aluminum one from Brownell"s and same story. Any Ideas? I'd really like to start using this rifle more but this feeding issue has me a bit baffled. Maybe the spring is out of whack?
    I have re-assembled the rifle several times to make sure everything lines up.

Mountaintrekker

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I recently aquired a model 70, the Ranger label from K-mart or whoever sold that version back when. It has the plastic follower and the rounds will nose up in the mag and there seems to be alot of play as I load the mag (play from front to back). I thought it may be due to the plastic follower so I ordered the aluminum one from Brownell"s and same story. Any Ideas? I'd really like to start using this rifle more but this feeding issue has me a bit baffled. Maybe the spring is out of whack?
    I have re-assembled the rifle several times to make sure everything lines up.

Mountaintrekker
    You can try adjusting the lips on the magazine so the rounds align properly and stay under the rails. (Experimental Science)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I think I would replace the spring too. All similar feeding problems I've ever had with Model 70's were solved by replacing the spring.... For what it's worth.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have the same rifle/caliber. First thing I did was buy an aluminum Callahan follower. I'd do that, and get a new mag spring, if that don't work either WWG's could fix it or return to Winchester.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

I don't know about Winchesters, but on Remingtons it's possible to put the spring in backwards and cause all kinds of havoc.

I've got the aluminum follower and the spring has a hole for a keeper tab so it only goes in one way. It does look a little like someone had bent it back into shape though. I think I'll look around for a new spring. Any suggestions on who has a spring for this, or do I have to buy a universal and fit it?

Mountaintrekker