Thread: .22-250 issues

Default .22-250 issues

I was shooting my Ruger No. 1 in .22-250, and shooting some 69 grain FMJ's close to the max charge. And they were hitting the target sideways at 50 yards. What is going on? Is it the speed, rate of twist, bullet weight? I am not sure, just wondering.

Assuming you never shot these bullets before but they are key holing and I suspect the twist of your #1 will not stabilize them. You will need a 1-7 twist or 1-8 to shoot them.

It looks like the ruger #1 had 1-14 twist rates so probably need to ditch that bullet and stick to 60gr bullets and lower...

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    I was shooting my Ruger No. 1 in .22-250, and shooting some 69 grain FMJ's close to the max charge. And they were hitting the target sideways at 50 yards. What is going on? Is it the speed, rate of twist, bullet weight? I am not sure, just wondering.
    Rate of twist my 1 in 14 22-250 will not stabalize the 60 gr Nosler Partiition. Which works fine in my 223 1-12. The 64 gr PP May or may not work in yours but you need a shorter overall bullet to work if you go over 55 gr. IMHO

Okay, thanks guys.