Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: passion for ?

Default passion for ?

seems to be a lot of lets just say a lot of heated debates on here lately, so lets lighten things up a little.I would like to think we all share a common bond on this forum and thats in some way we are all sportsman with an interest in the Alaska outdoors. So simple question whats your passion..... Is it stalking a sheep at 5000 feet cresting the ridge and there he is, chasing that bear and having him in range,guiding a hunter to his first moose, shooting a caribou knowing that you just provided a meal for your family...could it be taking/watching your kid take their first critter....could be anything...even just plans of a dream hunt to alaska....
    lets keep it light NO debates.....

Being in the mountains. Sheep is my favorite, but really my passion is simply mountain hunting. Being on a peak that is shrouded in swirling clouds, offering only glimpses of distant valleys...taking naps on alpine tundra while waiting for something to feed into view...heating the french press full of coffee while at the front of your tent, taking in the sunrise gleaming off the peaks and few patches of snow left over from the previous winter, all while dreaming of what might lie beyond just one more ridge later that day. Yep...mountain hunting it is.

For me it is simple, just being out there hunting, it doesn't really matter what I am going after.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Default help that kid

Sheesh, ask something hard, because that question is easy to answer:

Helping a kid take their first game tops the list. A close second on the list is helping a new (non-kid) do the same.

I don't think there's a person on here that can say that they weren't helped, their first time - even if their first harvest was a solo affair, there was someone involved before that.... Maybe I see things differently, but in my view there is no greater joy or privilege.

Wow, Bear I have had a lot of the same thoughts.
    Brian, couldn't have put it better! I was raised hunting and have continued to feed my family closer to shore, But the alpine/mountain top is mysterious, lonely, fulfilling, etc! there is nothing IMO better than a cold morning with the the cold and stiff fingers around the jetboil pressed coffee watching the sun rise. I hope I have legs forever....

To me its sitting around at camp, relaxing (preferably after a successful hunt). I love sitting around the fire with friends and family eating and BS'ing.

Also, its hard to beat the adrenaline rush I get while hunting when I start a stalk...

Brian you had to go and put the pic in there huh.....lol... great pic and man they seem to be the best naps dont they....

To me I love a lot of things... the bump of a fat red whacking into my dipnet and hunting above treeline are big ones.

I love when you come around a terrain feature on a long stalk and your quarry is sitting there blissfully unaware you've crept within 100 yds of him from a mile away.

I don't enjoy killing per se but I do immensely enjoy being proficient at it- to find a caribou after the recoil in the scope and see him collapsed in his tracks- down for the count.

Bacon and coffee over the campfire...those things are all made for each other.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I did forget that all year long I get satisfaction, out of the fact that I only go to the store for vegetables and spices. The hunt (almost any hunt that requires thought and effort) is complementary to my passion for cooking good food that I sourced, for family and friends. It all ties together to make this place great!

THIS
    "f/64 and be there"

Recoilless Black Powder Cannons......really.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default What? (cannon)

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Recoilless Black Powder Cannons......really.
    I'm not exactly sure where that came from.... but since you brought it up:

- The trick is not to prevent recoil, the trick is to absorb it without damage or change to the aim point, so you can better aim the next projectile.
    - Even if you preserve the aim point, the next projectile will not shoot spot on, since its black, and without barrel rifling.
    - Two VW rabbit springs and 10 inches of travel will perfectly absorb the shock of a 20 oz. lead roundball through a 2 inch diameter barrel.
    - All of this would normally be illegal (against BATF law) and be described as an illegal "artillery weapon", except it is indeed legal if it loads only from the muzzle.
    - And yes, I know these things from direct experience.

Panzerfaust 60 to be specific...... Familyman

1 meter long, 58 mmOD, 50 mmID, a single shot recoiless open ended mild steel barrel, smoothbore, thats too narrow to allow an original warhead, 4oz propellent and a dummy warhead with a wooden shaft and sheet spring steellfins screwd to the shaft, cap fired with a simple sheet metal trigger and a nice safety with a 1 mm constriction ring in the tail of the barrel to prevent rear loading.......might haveta enter the 4th of July shoot with it this summer...~~LOL!!~~

But the pictures speak for temselfs when my words fail me , and in better spelt sentances.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Panzerfaust 60 to be specific...... Familyman
    Thanks for the complete explanation; now I understand. All I can say is oops, my bad, I misunderstood.

I was referring to a gun I designed and built, coincidentally only 8mm larger. I've had a picture of it during the point of fire in my album here on this site for years now (I even had it in my sig line until a fellow member thought I was yanking his chain by posting some picture I'd found in Internet-land, so I removed it from my sig line to solve that member's problem) - that's why I immediately assumed (sorry) that was the gun you were referring to.

Just now I sent you a friend request stranger, since viewing my albums on this site requires that, in case you'd like to view my gun. I guess mods can see it too, but of course it would be an entirely inappropriate use of a mod's privileges to respond publicly about it, after privately and covertly inspecting a member's albums, so I don't think that will happen.

As previously stated, I must reiterate that the gun whose picture I'm referring to in an album I have on this site, though rather large and quite unique in other ways, is 100 percent legal. I've had multiple law enforcement opinions on that issue and they're unanimous.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Seeing new places, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, hunting new animals, and experiencing the greatness of the outdoors in it's purest form........wilderness........around the world!!!!!!! If we have to talk animals sheep, goats, and dangerous game!

Brett

To me its gotta be float hunting a remote river somewhere. The anticipation of what lies ahead. Perhaps floating into a area where few others have been really gets me amped up. I love sheep hunting too, but I gotta say I love float hunting more.

Attachment 57231

My favorite moment, bar none, is 15 minutes into the fall hunting trip with my best friend. We've fueled up, we're blasting good music, we've just got on the highway and are about to the power plant outside of Anchorage. At that moment, I slowly, savorily pull my cell phone out of my pocket.... and turn it off. For 6 days.

For me, there is no moment/feeling that can match that.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Well, being new to Alaska the excitement of getting to hunt here next season is amazing!! As for what I have done, it is hard to beat a screaming bull elk at less than 20 yards that has NO idea you are there!

the chaotic footrace chasing a bear can be...then that sense of finality during the last few moments while stalking a brown bear to within spitting ranges...i love that...better do things right, or he gets away...or he comes.

i'm least impressed with moose...but theres really not much comparable to a big stinking rutty bull with bloodred eyes rolled up into his brows, stiff leggin it up to a call with his neck straight as a board...bellowing every step.

watching my old man top out on mountains he never let himself dream of climbing...

that little trick rams do when they spot you but arent "quite" sure that you represent danger yet...ya know, when after staring at you for what seems like hours they go back to feeding.......and after a few minutes...! SLAM ! there heads back up and stare right at you to make sure you havent moved! god i think thats neat.

i love looking out over beautiful western alaska on the last cub/maule ride in of the fall season...way past tired to the bone...way past ready for a shower...with the most rewarding feeling of a job well done, all mingled together with a tinge of remorse for all the killing, and an overwhelming thankfulness at where i am in this crazy game of life....crammed right down in the middle of a boyhood dream.

i love watching the world wake up as the bears emerge in the spring...

i love the chess game trapping represents...

i love being cold, tired to a breaking point, i sometimes like wondering if the wind will ever quit, i like watching clients get some "alaska" thrown at em, i love to walk, climb, and chase...i love the pursuit.

i love sitting on top of the front line of mountains out west, and watching that big flaming ball of sun fall into the bering...god what a beauty of a sight...

After my first year of hunting up here I would have to say just being in God's country does it. No people other then maybe a friend, and nothing to hear but the animals around you and the wind. Add this to the mountains like Brian said and Ive got my own personal heaven on earth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast