Thread: 1911 commander in 9mm

Default 1911 commander in 9mm

Well I found myself a 30th birthday present… I saw it at a local shop and couldn't stop thinking about it. Once I brought it home I checked the serial number and found out that it was made the same year as I was. Happy birthday to me!

photo.JPG

Nice looking pee shooter. I like the Colts almost as much as the Kimbers. That'll make a good carry gun for people protection.

Nice little gun Rob. Steel frame or aluminum? You going to be at the RB1 class this spring? If so, I'll bring my aluminum .45 Commander and we'll run them at break time.

Very nice. That looks to be series 70.....????? you're thirty? It is very good condition. Nice find. Do I see Combat Commander on the slide? I think that is a steel frame gun, unless I have it backwards. It's a great find, you should kept it lock when cocked though.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Nice little gun Rob. Steel frame or aluminum? You going to be at the RB1 class this spring? If so, I'll bring my aluminum .45 Commander and we'll run them at break time.
    I sure will be there, sounds like a plan to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Very nice. That looks to be series 70.....????? you're thirty? It is very good condition. Nice find. Do I see Combat Commander on the slide? I think that is a steel frame gun, unless I have it backwards. It's a great find, you should kept it lock when cocked though.
    It's series 70 with a series 80 serial number. It is a Combat Commander so steel frame. It will get kept cocked and locked as soon as it proves itself reliable enough to be trusted. Going to take out to the range at lunch today and see how it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by robkroupa View Post
    Well I found myself a 30th birthday present… I saw it at a local shop and couldn't stop thinking about it. Once I brought it home I checked the serial number and found out that it was made the same year as I was. Happy birthday to me!

photo.JPG
    Nice! Same age huh? Hopefully you two will grow old together and have a happy healthy long life.

I'm getting the urge for another handgun and a little 1911 sounds like a good idea. Congrats on the find!
    MyTime

Range report: fired a couple of hundred rounds through it today, it's more accurate than I am, had no major issues at all (slide did fail to lock back on an empty mag once), it even did good with my normal carry ammo. Only thing I really need to change is he grip safety, it feels like someone is jabbing the web of my hand with a flat blade screwdriver every time I fire it.

Yep. Time to head to the gunsmith and get a high-grip safety installed You can then head down the never ending road of putting money into a 1911

Well Doug, I like to torture myself and be my own gunsmith. I sure learned a lot working on my Government model and about have it where I want it. I really want to bob the tail of the Commander but don't really want to experiment on 30 year old Colt...

Here's my Commander's big brother I was talking about...

I built mine, but under the watchful eye of a gunsmith. Fitting the high grip safety was not the toughest thing in the world, but it had huge repercussions if you screw up

Spent some time running a file today, replaced the trigger, thumb, safety, and grip safety. Feels much better in my hand now, I can't wait to go and try it out.

Now we're talking... What type of grip safety is that. Looks like less material removal needed than the ones I did many years ago.

I cheated, it's a Wilson Combat that is designed for commander frames...