Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Association of Off Highway Vehicles

Thumbs up Alaska Association of Off Highway Vehicles

OHV = anything that goes off road, ATVs, Snogos, Jeeps, Trucks, Motorcyles

IMO it is time we take proactive measures to promote and develop all motorized recreation. Too often the anti's use a divide and conquer approach to pick off our small groups and shut down their activities. The idea is to have a single Statewide Association with a large enough membership base that our voice can not be denied.

Come and be part of a highly motivated group that will improve and increase motorized recreation opportunities throughout the State of Alaska

Kick off meeting

• Thursday, February 23, 2012
    • 6:00pm until 9:00pm
    • BP Energy Center, 900 E Benson BLVD, Anchorage, AK

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000065843055&sk=info#!/AKAOHV?sk=info

Thanks for the heads up.

Showing up at the meeting will give anyone a chance at a $100 dollar fuel card from Shell, not to bad of odds if only 35-40 people show!

Not everyone likes the idea of motorized users banding together....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...2-OHV-planning

Hard fact but a true one- the use of the term "Anti" is habitual and necessary. Anyone with an anti-OHV perspective will see no compromise unless you park your motorized vehicle and end up on bike or foot. There is no middle ground.

Radical conservationists are nation wide, motorized participants are broken cliques.

Get involved.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Question no off-road product company sponsorship?

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Showing up at the meeting will give anyone a chance at a $100 dollar fuel card from Shell, not to bad of odds if only 35-40 people show!
    An oil/gas company?

Good on them shelling out (sorry...) some coin for this, but I would have thought that Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Suzuki, etc would contribute something, either at the corporate level or even from a local Alaskan dealership. If not money, than even something you'd wear while off-roading with their name on it... or something...

Have any of them been asked?

My bet is that it is a local shell station owner donation--not corporate. Looking on the site, the AKAOHV by laws were just signed 30 days ago, so I doubt any corporate support was asked for. I think you have to be somewhat up running and show you are for real/legit, have support, and are going to be around for awhile before you get any real sponsorship anyway. If AKAOHV can succeed and do some positive things in the coming month's/year they can probably get some local business support that will open doors for corporate support.

All that being said, being a non-profit, I'm not sure how corporate OHV support would work. Not only the legalities (which shouldn't be too hard), but the impression that OHV corporations are funding a non-profit "lobbyist" to push their agendas.

May be better off with just local support I dunno, just some random thoughts--time will tell.

Callin 907 743 4293

Default seeing double? or half...

I kept seeing this thread double-ized then half-sized.... couldn't figure out what was going on... until I noticed that it is two different threads (with identical title) posted in two separate forums.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghway-Vehicles is the other one, in case anyone else is seeing double/half like I was.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    Not everyone likes the idea of motorized users banding together....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...2-OHV-planning
    That's one interpretation, but not really what I am saying over there. In fact, I think the idea has some benefits.
    Note my stating I "understand the reasons" and the mention of "well wishes".

is there free cheese curds from captian curd with the free gas card? or just that yuky jerry burger abortion?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I kept seeing this thread double-ized then half-sized.... couldn't figure out what was going on... until I noticed that it is two different threads (with identical title) posted in two separate forums.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghway-Vehicles is the other one, in case anyone else is seeing double/half like I was.

Sorry about the confusion and not sure about the doubling. I was attempting to reach the larger audience of both ATVs and Snogos

Sorry about the confusion and not sure about the doubling. I was attempting to reach the larger audience of both ATVs and Snogos
    I think entering it in both forums is the only way to do it, unless a paid member or staff here entered the thread on one forum, and then "moved" it to the other. A link would be left in the thread's old forum. But, as I said, that takes being a paid member or staff. Just as a side note: I did this very thing as a favor for an unpaid member once, and received a note from mgmt saying that was an improper use of my (paid for) forum privileges. So, I'd recommend that if you go this route, have that paid member post it as from themselves, with no attribution to the unpaid member that had the original idea. (Oops, I'm gonna get another note now. )

My only suggestion might be to slightly change the title in each forum, including "ATV" in one thread title and "Snow Machine" in the other. That way when a thread's title pops up in a member's subscriptions (like when the thread has been added to) it'll be clear when you click on it where you're going.

Maybe its already clear and I'm the only one that got confused. Or maybe other members have a better suggestion. But, no worries, you did fine I think bear - the problem was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    My bet is that it is a local shell station owner donation--not corporate. Looking on the site, the AKAOHV by laws were just signed 30 days ago, so I doubt any corporate support was asked for. I think you have to be somewhat up running and show you are for real/legit, have support, and are going to be around for awhile before you get any real sponsorship anyway. If AKAOHV can succeed and do some positive things in the coming month's/year they can probably get some local business support that will open doors for corporate support.

All that being said, being a non-profit, I'm not sure how corporate OHV support would work. Not only the legalities (which shouldn't be too hard), but the impression that OHV corporations are funding a non-profit "lobbyist" to push their agendas.

May be better off with just local support I dunno, just some random thoughts--time will tell.
    Yes the donation was by a local station.

On lobbying. 501(c)3 is not allowed to lobby. If I recall correctly you have to be a 501(c)4. It comes down to the use of the corporation funds. A (c)3 can't use the non-profits funds a (c)4 can. There is nothing stopping a (c)3 from asking their membership, officers included, to write letters, make phone calls, even visit their representatives. Just can't use the corps $ to do so. The Mat-Su Trails Council was incorporated as a (c)4 at one time.

I hope the Association grows to the point it attracts corporate donations for use on trail projects!

OHV = anything that goes off road, ATVs, Snogos, Jeeps, Trucks, Motorcyles

IMO it is time we take proactive measures to promote and develop all motorized recreation. Too often the anti's use a divide and conquer approach to pick off our small groups and shut down their activities. The idea is to have a single Statewide Association with a large enough membership base that our voice can not be denied.

Come and be part of a highly motivated group that will improve and increase motorized recreation opportunities throughout the State of Alaska

Kick off meeting
    • Thursday, February 23, 2012
    • 6:00pm until 9:00pm
    • BP Energy Center, 900 E Benson BLVD, Anchorage, AK

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000065843055&sk=info#!/AKAOHV?sk=info
    I suggest that you either take out the word Recreation or add another use. As an example when you drive your truck to your cabin up the road you don't call it a recreational drive. Anymore than riding a ATV into a remote cabin would be. It is a tool in many instances.
    Tim

Yes the donation was by a local station.

On lobbying. 501(c)3 is not allowed to lobby. If I recall correctly you have to be a 501(c)4. It comes down to the use of the corporation funds. A (c)3 can't use the non-profits funds a (c)4 can. There is nothing stopping a (c)3 from asking their membership, officers included, to write letters, make phone calls, even visit their representatives. Just can't use the corps $ to do so. The Mat-Su Trails Council was incorporated as a (c)4 at one time.

I hope the Association grows to the point it attracts corporate donations for use on trail projects!
    This raises the following questions:
    Can one safely assume that all the mail outs/forwards announcing fund raising events, banquets, raffles, asking for support on legislative issues, supporting candidates, etc. from Mat Su Trails Council in the following partial list are, therefore, proper? When was the Council change from (c)4 ?

Safari Club International
    NRA Foundation
    Event to support Lyda Green
    NRA ILA
    Friends of NRA
    Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance
    Alaska ATV Club
    Alaska Extreme 4 Wheelers
    Alaska Outdoor Council
    SFW Alaska Chapter
    Sen. Huggins - forwards and support events
    BOG confirmation advocacy requests, POM suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    This raises the following questions:
    Can one safely assume that all the mail outs/forwards announcing fund raising events, banquets, raffles, asking for support on legislative issues, supporting candidates, etc. from Mat Su Trails Council in the following partial list are, therefore, proper? When was the Council change from (c)4 ?

Safari Club International
    NRA Foundation
    Event to support Lyda Green
    NRA ILA
    Friends of NRA
    Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance
    Alaska ATV Club
    Alaska Extreme 4 Wheelers
    Alaska Outdoor Council
    SFW Alaska Chapter
    Sen. Huggins - forwards and support events
    BOG confirmation advocacy requests, POM suggestions
    You saved our emails? ;-)

Is forwarding info from other's considered lobbying? A good question that I don't know the answer too.

I believe the MSTC change to a (c)3 from a (c)4 occurred by accident. That is the person that filed the renewal docs some time back didn't know or understand the differences. I could be wrong and it was done on purpose. The bylaws still allow for lobbying. It is something we should look at getting straightened out. I recall some limitations for (c)4's that the MSTC may not want. IIRC there were some recent donors or grants that were not available to orgs that allowed for lobbying.

Like most small groups we focus most on doing the things we like, were formed to do, and the admin/legal stuff gets lower priority.

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    I suggest that you either take out the word Recreation or add another use. As an example when you drive your truck to your cabin up the road you don't call it a recreational drive. Anymore than riding a ATV into a remote cabin would be. It is a tool in many instances.
    Yeah this is something folks have wrestled with for a while. Many of our trails are transportation routes and serve for more than just joy rides. The folks at RTCA have really pushed this angle to help get more funding for trails as community transportation routes. It gets to splitting hairs and semantics and to be frank gets really tiring for me. If someone could provide some wording to use in addition to 'recreation' I am sure the folks at AKAOHV would listen.

Is forwarding info from other's considered lobbying? A good question that I don't know the answer too.

I believe the MSTC change to a (c)3 from a (c)4 occurred by accident. That is the person that filed the renewal docs some time back didn't know or understand the differences. I could be wrong and it was done on purpose. The bylaws still allow for lobbying. It is something we should look at getting straightened out. I recall some limitations for (c)4's that the MSTC may not want. IIRC there were some recent donors or grants that were not available to orgs that allowed for lobbying.

Like most small groups we focus most on doing the things we like, were formed to do, and the admin/legal stuff gets lower priority.
    Definitely complex, agreed. Thanks.

Oh, and Yes - as an adjunct to begrudgingly monitoring an access alliance group and compatriots' less than above board shenanigans of record (with ongoing umbrella support from AOC and above, including gov. insiders and a central lie so oft repeated that the head of Board of Game could not resist repeating it for the news.) As one of the founders of MSTC, it has troubled me to see the group somewhat taken in, though I still have a measure of faith in your future. Did you know that one of my first introductions to this crowd was one of them jumping up in public meeting and bellowing, "He's a god****ed liar !!" when I informed that a stream, of which he claimed years of knowledge and use, supported a salmon run?

Dishonest campaigns come with liabilities. However, that is one sure way to certainly create a crop of 'antis', as is neglect of known valued habitats.

Best of luck with positive results,
    Robert

Talking

It might just be me, but I have a hard time taking
    environmental advice from a guy named 68Bronco.

I sure hope he doesn't drive that vehicle in the KRPUA.
    Or anywhere else for that matter.

A car made in the 1960's produces 2000 lbs of pollutant emissions
    every 100,000 miles.
    A new car produces 10 lbs in 100,000 miles.
    Old cars are 100 times worse. That's just pollution, not to mention gas usage.

Environmental damage shouldn't just me measured by the depth of a rut.

If he changes he his name to JackedUpPrius, or 2012Jeep, I might take him more seriously.

Mr. Bronco,
    Do you really care about the environment ?
    Or are you more of a NIMBY kinda guy ?

If you care, crush that clunker!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast