Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Moose Recipe for .338 RUM

  1. #1

    Default Moose Recipe for .338 RUM

    Hey guys, I am coming to AK this september on my first ever moose hunt. I have never done any handloading before and I have a Model 700 .338 RUM that I would like to use this season for my hunt. This hunt will be a float hunt on a small interior creek in a tight thick river corridor. I am expecting that a 200yrd shot will be the longest shot that I could take on this particular hunt. We are packing ultra lightweight and we will not be taking packframes on this hunt so I need to drop any bull we shoot within yards of the shore. I have 2 boxes of empty brass to load and my buddy will load them for me. So, Does anyone have any suggestions for a bullet that will hammer a Moose within 200 yrds.? When I see a Moose on the rivers edge I need to put him down on the spot!! Any help here would be much appreciated...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    250 gr barnes would be a heck of a bullet in the 338 RUM. I would rethink not bring a pack frame. Even if it is just the frame part and leave the bag at home. I wouldn't want to carry a moose hind quarter 200 yards without a pack. It would be a PIA.

  3. #3
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I would rethink not bring a pack frame. Even if it is just the frame part and leave the bag at home. I DON'T want to carry a moose hind quarter 200 yards without a pack. It IS a PIA.
    No disrespect swapdonkey, but I fixed it for you. As for projectiles in the RUM there are lots of good choices. To drop a moose where he stands is dependent on shot placement and the only reliable means to do it is to break major bones or a CNS hit.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Another vote for your pack Frame.. you will really increase your chance if you get out of the boat,, and call from shore and be willing to pack one a few hundred yards through the brush... even the best laid shots can go awray... and your going to need more brass to.. you'll need to work up the load, shoot it, sight it.. like it.. practice it.. and work it up some more.. you may not like your first chioce and need to make several loads. you will need to shoot them all again to like them and know where it strikes every time. espessally if you want that DRT shot this fall.. shoot it might get so fun.. youre buddy will help you get set up .. so you can make your own... then you will certianly need more brass..

    dont have a clue about the 338 RUM though. i shoot wins.. 180-200 gn for everthing... be it the 300 or 338
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5

    Default 338rum

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    No disrespect swapdonkey, but I fixed it for you. As for projectiles in the RUM there are lots of good choices. To drop a moose where he stands is dependent on shot placement and the only reliable means to do it is to break major bones or a CNS hit.
    I can appreciate what you guys are telling me about bringing packframes. We are taking a cub flight onto a ridge with 65lbs of gear including rifles and packrafts. Draggn gear down to a tiny ditch to float 10 miles right in moose cover so our plan is camp, fish and hope for a bull right on the creek. I will be putting in some serious trigger time this summer and dial in a most accurate load, so I can strike the CNS with precision in order to hopefully anchor a bull on the spot. I am just looking for recommendation for a good starting spot for a load and what bullet has worked well for any of you guys in tight cover and relative short range with maximum shock.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Pole Alaska
    Posts
    156

    Default

    For what it is worth:

    338 RUM
    97.7grs H1000
    Fed 215 Match Primer
    250gr Nosler Partition
    3.650" Over-all-Length of the loaded round
    I am getting 2937 FPS out of my Remington 700 with a 26" Lilja barrel. This is just below maximum in my particular rifle. I would suggest starting about 8 percent below my stated charge and work up from there.

    With what you are looking to do with this round, there is not a better bullet choice then the proven Nosler Partition design. It will not fail you if you do your part. Good luck in the load development.

  7. #7
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Aframes, TSX, or Noslers will all do nicely. As has been stated getting one to drop to the shot is probably only gonna happen if you spine or brain him. Moose are just so darn big that they aren't much impressed by energy figures. Any good 255, 250, or even a 300 grain bullet is gonna have the moxie to make steaks just the drop on the spot thing may get problematic. Chose one of the above, they'll all crunch bone, and put it where it counts.

    Oh yeah, and with moving packrafts and hopefully moose meat, a packframe will be a huge bonus. An aluminum frame, stripped, can't weigh more than 2.5#.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    No disrespect swapdonkey, but I fixed it for you. As for projectiles in the RUM there are lots of good choices. To drop a moose where he stands is dependent on shot placement and the only reliable means to do it is to break major bones or a CNS hit.
    I didn't know the grammar patrol was out. I reread what I wrote and I like mine MORE better.

  9. #9
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I didn't know the grammar patrol was out. I reread what I wrote and I like mine MORE better.
    I'm not the grammar police.

    Like I said, no disrespect meant in my post, I was simply saying that I've done it both ways and I'll not be ill prepared to pack a moose again. I don't leave home to hunt moose without a frame pack--boat or no boat.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'm not the grammar police.

    Like I said, no disrespect meant in my post, I was simply saying that I've done it both ways and I'll not be ill prepared to pack a moose again. I don't leave home to hunt moose without a frame pack--boat or no boat.

    No disrespect, but then you should have just said that and left the corrections that where not necessary out of the sentence.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'm not the grammar police.

    Like I said, no disrespect meant in my post, I was simply saying that I've done it both ways and I'll not be ill prepared to pack a moose again. I don't leave home to hunt moose without a frame pack--boat or no boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    No disrespect, but then you should have just said that and left the corrections that where not necessary out of the sentence.
    Hey no disrespect but both of your posts bore me and I don't like neither one!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    on a side note I bet that new 300gr accubond that Nosler is going to make would be a pretty good bullet for the 338 Ultra mag!

  13. #13

    Default Awesome

    Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    For what it is worth:

    338 RUM
    97.7grs H1000
    Fed 215 Match Primer
    250gr Nosler Partition
    3.650" Over-all-Length of the loaded round
    I am getting 2937 FPS out of my Remington 700 with a 26" Lilja barrel. This is just below maximum in my particular rifle. I would suggest starting about 8 percent below my stated charge and work up from there.

    With what you are looking to do with this round, there is not a better bullet choice then the proven Nosler Partition design. It will not fail you if you do your part. Good luck in the load development.
    Thanks Sheep, That is exactly the advice I was looking for! I had my eye on partitions from the start and I cannot find anyone who says bad things about them. Plenty of other people suggest other bullets construction, but no one has come out and said partitions are bad. Good advice on starting 8 percent below! That was what I needed was a starting point How big of jumps do you think I should take?

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    A premium 250 grn bullet would be my choice. As to the pack frames, if do not have them I guarantee you WILL REGET it !

    Relying on the chance to spot and kill a legal moose on the river bank is a poor choice IMO, there will be terrain back from the river bank along the float that should be investigated during the trip. After spending as much $$$ and time as you will have invested in this hunt do you honestly believe you will be able to exercise enough restraint to prevent you from pulling the trigger on a moose that is 1/4 mile from the river bank ? If you decide to do so anyhow and you have no pack frame you are now required to pack 600-800lbs of animal 100-150 lbs per trip by some other method, can you accomplish that without putting yourself or others at increased risk of injury ? Are you equipped with the skills to survive a serious injury out in the wilderness ? The quickest help can likely be DAYS away !


    I have no idea where you are from or if you have any past experience in Alaska but, do not take anything for granted, Alaska is a beautiful and spectacular place but, it is most unforgiving and the seemingly smallest unplanned event can quickly become life threatening.

    Choose a reliable bullet, shoot well and please invest much thought in how to have a safe and enjoyable adventure.

    Pulling the trigger is always the easy part.

    Sorry to sound like a mother hen

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    A premium 250 grn bullet would be my choice. As to the pack frames, if do not have them I guarantee you WILL REGET it !

    Relying on the chance to spot and kill a legal moose on the river bank is a poor choice IMO, there will be terrain back from the river bank along the float that should be investigated during the trip. After spending as much $$$ and time as you will have invested in this hunt do you honestly believe you will be able to exercise enough restraint to prevent you from pulling the trigger on a moose that is 1/4 mile from the river bank ? If you decide to do so anyhow and you have no pack frame you are now required to pack 600-800lbs of animal 100-150 lbs per trip by some other method, can you accomplish that without putting yourself or others at increased risk of injury ? Are you equipped with the skills to survive a serious injury out in the wilderness ? The quickest help can likely be DAYS away !


    I have no idea where you are from or if you have any past experience in Alaska but, do not take anything for granted, Alaska is a beautiful and spectacular place but, it is most unforgiving and the seemingly smallest unplanned event can quickly become life threatening.

    Choose a reliable bullet, shoot well and please invest much thought in how to have a safe and enjoyable adventure.

    Pulling the trigger is always the easy part.

    Sorry to sound like a mother hen

    I appreciate the sincerity but you cannot guarantee that I will regret anything because you do not know my capabilities. I have been lurking on this forum for a long time in prep for this trip and a lot of guys try to make AK sound like hell on earth. Interior AK in september is far safer than some places I have been and a sat. phone is a safety net that will bring help much sooner than I am used to. As for my being prepared for injury with no help, I am prepared and have handled gunshot wounds in the field. Sometimes some of you guys should ask a few background questions before you try to cast doubt on someones ability to thrive in AK. I am still not bringing a packframe and I will do just fine!!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Pole Alaska
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgerta View Post
    How big of jumps do you think I should take?
    If you are referring to the bullet "jump" it might depend on what rifle you have. I had an original Remington 700 with a factory barrel that my magazine box length was the limiting factor on how far out I seated the bullet. With this custom rifle I have now (same action different barrel) I sent "dummy rounds" to my gunsmith when he fitted the barrel/cut the chamber so the bullets would be jumping just .005" (I settled on them jumping .025" when I got my final load developed), but still fitting inside my factory Remington 700 magazine box.

    If your magazine box will allow you to seat them out, I would start your load .005" off the lands, and seat the bullets deeper by .005" in each batch. That is how I develop all my loads whether for hunting or target rifles.

    There are plenty of good bullets out there, but Partitions are very hard to beat. They penetrate well, hold together good, and of all the premium hunting bullets out there (Barnes, A-Frames, etc) they have been the most accurate in all my hunting rifles.

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgerta View Post
    I appreciate the sincerity but you cannot guarantee that I will regret anything because you do not know my capabilities. I have been lurking on this forum for a long time in prep for this trip and a lot of guys try to make AK sound like hell on earth. Interior AK in september is far safer than some places I have been and a sat. phone is a safety net that will bring help much sooner than I am used to. As for my being prepared for injury with no help, I am prepared and have handled gunshot wounds in the field. Sometimes some of you guys should ask a few background questions before you try to cast doubt on someones ability to thrive in AK. I am still not bringing a packframe and I will do just fine!!
    Your certainly welcome to do as you see fit. Having a sat. phone is wise but, it can do nothing to ease or prevent weather conditions that prohibit the Alaska State Trooper helo from flying a rescue mission.

    BTW, if you reread my post you will see that I did ASK questions. Answers would have been more appreciated and helpful to us all for future responses.

    As I said before, have a safe and enjoyable hunt

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    There is no way in hell I would pack a moose qtr without a pack! But hey more power to you... It's not that Alaska is all that dangerous its just the dumb mistakes people make that make it dangerous. I wish you good luck and I'm sure your hunt will be a success and you will have a great story to tell.

  19. #19
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I agree with all of the bullet suggestions. Your pack and watercraft choices on the other hand I don't see being up to the task. I just don't see 2 guys in packrafts hauling out 65lbs of gear and 300lbs of moose meat EACH.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    I can tell you that I carried a black bear hide with the skull in it rolled up in the rain jacket about a half mile. I was to lazy to bring my pack frame when we left the boat. Well It was the worst thing I have ever carried. My hands started to cramp and I could hardly open them once I got to the boat. My hands hurt for a day after and that was one trip. Also that weighted 30 lbs maybe. Now picture a 100lbs and a rifle. I really think you should reconsider the pack frame. Take it from the guys on the board that have been there done that. They are not filling you full of bunk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •