Thread: Looking for a surplus mauser, need advice

Default Looking for a surplus mauser, need advice

I'd like to put together a project rifle as a spare gun for family or friends who travel to Alaska. Any ideas where to find the cheapest one?

The plan is to buy an $80 walnut sporter stock, an Adams n Bennet 35 Whelen barrel($100), a spring service kit and some open sights. The plan is to put together a cheap but reliable hunting rifle for friends and family to borrow.

I'm not too knowledgeable with surplus guns but I hope with the help of other forum members, I can learn where to get one of these, and have this gun put together with only about $400 invested. I've been selling various little things that I don't use so that it doesn't "technically" cost me a thing!

Things like: Ammo I don't use, vintage cook stoves, dies, mags, reloading components and other odd ball things that people want.

I handled one of those Russian surplus rifles and it was the most BUTT UGLY rifle I've ever seen, that is definitely out of the question. It was awkward, rough finish, bizarre, and did I mention BUTT UGLY?! It was $150 but I wouldn't even pay that for it. I think if I was guy with only $150 to work with, I'd rather sell a sample to the sperm bank, dance for Liberty Taxes, and search for odd-job employment to step up to a better rifle.

But we love our Mosin's for real. You can find U.S. 1917 Enfields in 30-06 for low prices and could probably just recut the rifleing.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Building an inexpensive rifle on a decent surplus action is pretty much a thing of the past- the surplus rifles and parts and gunsmith labor are just too expensive. Shop around for a completed rifle someone else sank their dollars on!

For example I picked up a Ruger 77 '06 barreled action recently for less than $200 and a .375 '06 AI built on an FN Supreme action w/dies and ammo for $410 in Dec. If you shop around you can find bargains like this without too much trouble. Bottom line - it is just not cost effective to put one together anymore.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Hey Amigo, Please correct me if I am wrong-- But somewhere in my brain, I kind of remember that the 1917 Enfield had a left hand twist and 5 lands, which made her such a fine shooting rifle? Think "RAVEN" arms is playing with this concept on their sniper shooters. Didn't like the action all that much on the 1917, but thats just me.
    I have played with and built a few rifles from old military actions, 03-A3 and 98's, which was fun back then but lots of work. I do agree you can find some great deals out there these days on lightly used rifles. Good luck on your project.
    Goo

Howa sells their Model M1500's,actions only, with 22 in bbls at a decent price ( Blued and SS ) and not a bad action at all ....
    Sent you a PM Mainer
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Mainer, look for a 8x57 VZ-24 (BRNO) action gun. The Ammo Can in Anchorage usually has a stock of surplus guns. Or look at GNGs used rack for a Whitworth, Parker-Hale, Zastava, etc - all are mauser actions.

It never hurts to keep an eye on gunbroker, also Midway has yugo 24/47 mausers for $299. These would not make a good conversion to 30-06 length cartridge, as they are an intermediate length action. However, they are in 8x57 which is effectively a 30-06 when it comes to killing game. Granted the only way to find cheap none FMJ rounds is to handload, but the same goes for the 35 whelen.

Also keep in mind that the Adems and Bennet barrels are short chambered so you will need to get the chamber deepened to set head space. This will require a reamer at the least, if you try to hand chamber. Or the use of a lathe if not.

Quite frankly if you want a cheap but effective rifle, milsups are only a good deal if you use them as is or with slight improvements like a peep sight. By the time you rebarrel and restock you will be money behind a savage or howa. Granted I think a decently build Mauser is way better then a savage or howa for general hunting. Also keep an eye out for commercial Mauser 98's even new ones. The Remington 798's went for bargain prices for awhile.

Thanks!

I won't do gunbroker, but I will check out ammo can and give them my number if they come across an old mauser. I want to keep the cost down to about $200-$250. If it is chambered in 30-06, it will be sent out to get cut down to 20" and re-bored/rechambered to 35 whelen, which will put me at about $400-450ish.

If anyone has an old beater mauser, I'm interested.

Even though you are a Mosin hater, I just want to remind you how cheap they and their the ammo is. Find one with a good bore and you can put it in an ATI or Boyds stock, which almost makes them look civilized. Put some Mojo sights on... maybe duracoat it and you have a cheap gun that you can lend out w/o fear, or use as a truck or snomo gun. Afterall, if they survived the Rooskies, they are plenty tough.

Bandhmo, nice job! I had no idea Midway was selling surplus rifles!

Mainer, I got a Yugo 24/47 from J&G Sales. It was in great condition. Well, the action was anyway. I never shot it, but took the barrel off to use the action for a .358 Win. Even though it is an "intermediate" mauser action, I can fit my 9.3x62 handloads (with Hornaday 286 grain softpoints seated to the cannelure) into the magazine. I would imagine a 35 Whelen would be about the same overall length. My handloads measure 3.17" overall length.

One way to save $ is to keep the issue barrel and ream the chamber to 8mm-06. You can use 30-06 brass and handload to better velocities than commercial 8x57 ammo. Midway and others sell Boyd stocks for the Yugos.

J&G is still selling the Yugos for $199.00:
    http://www.jgsales.com/yugoslavian-m...on-p-6408.html

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey mike i have an old Styre... not sure exaclty what cal... goning to need some work. it has a spot weld under the bolt will need to be buffed off... and maybe a fire pin.. but shes complete.. and i know how your are about putting things like they should be...
    iff your interested.. i will dig it out, and take a few pics. and you can make me an offer
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have a dandy 24/47 thanks to ElmerKiethClone, and love it as it is. Very accurite, and well balanced in 8x57. I also have a Mosin M-44, nice little shooter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Even though you are a Mosin hater, I just want to remind you how cheap they and their the ammo is. Find one with a good bore and you can put it in an ATI or Boyds stock, which almost makes them look civilized. Put some Mojo sights on... maybe duracoat it and you have a cheap gun that you can lend out w/o fear, or use as a truck or snomo gun. Afterall, if they survived the Rooskies, they are plenty tough.
    Yup pick out a good one from the rack at Artic Ammo for $109 (many are new, never even issued) add a stock, sights, paint, and this:

http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/in...ct_detail&p=50
    To cure the nasty safety and creepy heavy trigger issue and it becomes a fairly nice gun. I have two, one in each truck now and likely to get more.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Project guns are fun, but not always cheap.

You said "Mauser", and if you start with a Military Action, there are a lot of modifications that might need to be done.

Bolt handle,
    Safety,
    Trigger,
    Barrel,
    Drill and Tap, for Scope Mounts, and/or Receiver Sight. (Maybe a Front Sight.)
    Bluing,
    Stock,
    Recoil Pad,
    What did I forget?

If you change the cartridge, there could be feeding issues.

Depending on how much of the work you can do yourself, OR is already done, it can really add up.

I had a 98 done, relatively recently, all of the above, and I didn't do anything myself. The cost was not exorbitant, but more than a new Factory Rifle. It was well worth it to me, and I wouldn't loan this rifle to ANYONE.

I would suggest looking for a rifle at a Gunshow, that has some of this stuff done, already, or a Commercial Version, if cost is a prerequisite.

I HATE those Mosin's too, but I like ADFields, and his advice is of great value.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

hey folks, thanks for the replies. Vince, I'd like to see some photos of that rifle, post em up when you can. I'll also check out ammo can for old mauser style rifles.