Thread: GPS Files?

Default GPS Files?

Does anyone know of a (Garmin) file sharing site for the snowmachine trails in Petersville and other good rides in AK?

Thanks

I'd start by downloading the latest NW Trails map overlay. http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/

These trails are constantly updated by the end users in the field. If you know of trails that are not in the current file, there are instructions on the site about how to record a clean tracklog of a trail to submit to the project. Then that trail will become part of the next version release. The guy is constantly updating this file and it has one of the most complete sets of hiking and biking trails you can get anywhere. There are not as many motorsports trails, but the more motor-users who record and submit trail data, the more motorsport trails will be available right on your GPS screen.

It's a donation funded, volunteer run project. No one's making any money off of it and all outdoor users share in the benefit.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks Joat, that's kind of what I am looking for. Do you know if I can overlay it with other software? I have National Geographic Alaska that I picked up from REI. I have put some points in and can transfer back/forth to my Garmin. Can I do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg400 View Post
    Does anyone know of a (Garmin) file sharing site for the snowmachine trails in Petersville and other good rides in AK?

Thanks
    http://www.curryridgeriders.com/Maps%20And%20Tracks.htm

Switchback's NW Trails is basically worthless on the computer. You install it to your Garmin via Mapsource as a map file. It's a transparent overlay, so it resides on top of the maps that you have in your Garmin. It's an awesome compilation of trails for AK, WA, and OR though most of the contributors are summer time mountain bikers and hikers and wintertime nordic skiers. There are some motorized trails and I wish more motorsports guys would contribute to the project. I'm trying to get all of the Caribou Hills trails on the KP recorded and sent in.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

If you have an Iphone you can do what I did. Using Safari go to the website http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/groompl.htm on your Iphone and open each of the pdf files that are there containing the trail maps from all different parts of the state. Once your Iphone has opened a pdf file, tap on the screen and you should get a little message asking if you want to open the pdf in Ibooks. Click the message and the file opens in Ibooks and at the same time automatically puts a copy of the file on your iphone. Now you have a pdf map that you can zoom into and pan around at whatever detail level you want. Yes, its still on a really small screen but not much worse than most GPSs.

Thanks all!

i'd stop at trapper creek inn tesoro and pick up a map, they have pretty good maps with tons of way points on em with gps coordinates on the back, the maps are also available at some other local businesses up there...

I also would suggest joining the "GpsXChange" forum online -- http://www.gpsxchange.com/ -- and participating there. They have a very little-used snowmobile forum (just a subset of a much larger forum) where folks across the nation post their GPX trail tracks from their personal rides. I just found the site a couple weeks ago and have begun posting my gps snowmachine tracks on there. They are mostly trails since I have a 3 ton Yamaha 4-stroke 2-up sled that I've only stuck once, if you know what I mean. A couple days at Petersville and some around the trail system at Willow. I think the SVWT is on there, too from another contributor. Alaska could REALLY use some participation!

I think you have to submit a track before you can begin downloading any, but if you see any from user "trochilids" there that you want, just PM me and I'll fire it your way.

There are a whole bunch of other nicely groomed trails throughout the Petersville area that I have not been on yet. Someday!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"