Thread: Best Month to Fish Kodiak Road System

Default Best Month to Fish Kodiak Road System

My wife and I will be staying at a B&B for one month of fishing the road system for Salmon. Which would be your choice? Two years ago we fished September. We saw lots of bears but not many fish caught. Not much rain and the water was very low.

I fished early Sept last year and had very good luck, don't over look the small creeks they can be the most productive. Found some small creeks turning left at the Pagshak "T" that were amazing. Mid june to mid July can be great for reds too.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Yeah two years ago it was pretty low but conditions can be poor any month you choose. There is always the chance of high or low water or a late or poor run of fish.

I'd still pick Sepember if i had to choose one month as this is the peak of the silver run which is the the number one thing the road system has to offer because of the number of rivers the fish run in and the size of the fish. If I had to pick another month I would say July as you have reds in saltrey (if you can get there) as well as pasagshak and the stocked chinook runs at monashka, american and olds.

Rain usually is not a problem. I was there in 2010 and know the problems that you faced. However if conditions are that bad, go floss the Pasgashak. Late evening tides were the best and I scored fish every day.

Hey Col. what does it mean to floss a river? Thanks for the replys gents.

Just like you fish for the reds Flossing, Lining whatever you what to call it. In terms, legal snagging.
    The difference on the Shak is you can actually see the schools of fish entering the river. Toss your line in ahead of them, hook them in the mouth and hold on. I've had more than one try to make the run back out to sea, stop them before the seals get your fish!! The best thing is they are big silvers that can push 18 to 20#

I went in August and did well. Silvers, pinks, chums and lots of dollys on the roadsystem. The best part of the trip was the saltwater. We went out 2 days on the salt and slayed the kings and halibut. We stayed all the way down by the winery and every river was loaded. Here's a couple videos. Good luck, I wish I was going back this year, hopefully next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdua...d5AUAAAAAAALAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-R0sD_hW8&feature=context&context=G2c769d5AUAAAAAAA LAA

I will come mid September for Coho fishing. Last time (2007) it worked very well. In the Fish&game office, they told me, week 3 and 4 in September are usually the best for silvers.