Thread: Homer winter king derby

Default Homer winter king derby

Is anyone planning on heading down for the Winter king derby next month? Any tips you'd care to share with a rookie?

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Is anyone planning on heading down for the Winter king derby next month? Any tips you'd care to share with a rookie?
    Yep. Go north to the bluffs towards Anchor point and troll in about 70-90 feet of water. Lots of folks will be around you as it is a popular spot. Downriggers really help. I would hope for good weather too. I am going to spend nearly the entire week down there boating.....I am towing the boat with the motorhome. There will be no roughing it.....LOL....

Thank you, Sir! I'll see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    That's kind of like asking the best way to catch a king in the Kenai. Everyone has their own opinion on the best place to go and the best method to do it. If you want to PM me I'd give you a few of my own private "favorites".
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    That's kind of like asking the best way to catch a king in the Kenai. Everyone has their own opinion on the best place to go and the best method to do it. If you want to PM me I'd give you a few of my own private "favorites".
    I'd take him up on that as he fishes the area constantly. In fact, if I didn't think it would go to his head, I'd call him an expert

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I'd take him up on that as he fishes the area constantly. In fact, if I didn't think it would go to his head, I'd call him an expert
    No his boat has not moved in months he let it get frozen in its slip, and the best fishing of the year has been going on for the last month!

Looks the same today.

That is pretty funny....beautiful day though How's the ice fishing?????

No this is funny!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Looks the same today.
    I think its funny that you did not even put your net away....

The photo of the fish are great... was that today?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The kings were caught on the charter boat Huntress, by Josh Brooks and clients. My boat is out of the water warm and dry Today was winter kings at it's best, NE 40kts.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    The kings were caught on the charter boat Huntress, by Josh Brooks and clients. My boat is out of the water warm and dry Today was winter kings at it's best, NE 40kts.
    This pic doesnt do justice to just how "Great" the water was. But notice the pretty white caps splashing in the nice water. My sons mentioned that the water looked fun.. Until we got down close.

Deep-creek-Feb.jpg