Thread: Dalton Highway Management Area

Default Dalton Highway Management Area

A friend and i are planning a small game hunting and fishing trip to the Dalton Highway Corridor in the beginning of August and i was wondering what we should use to catch grayling. Thanks

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated also.

i think the most perculiar trait of grayling is they will bite anything once if you miss change flies. bead heads are good and small mepps. they have tiny mouths. for a rod try a 4 pcs. 8' 2 wt. when you catch them in cold flowing water they feel hard as rock and cold as ice.

I do best on beadheads. Fishing for grayling might be my favorite pass time here. As far as small game you still have to abide by the no firearms within five miles. Next time I go up there I'm bringing a wrist rocket!

Yea i had heard beadheads were a good choice. Whats a wrist rocket?

Any advice on what to use other for fish other than grayling?

A slingshot to whack som ptarmagin.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jmcguckin View Post
    Whats a wrist rocket?
    Really??? is it possible? dude thats almost like asking who is ACDC... oh dam* i feel OLD NOW!!!!!!!!!! THANKS
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I never caught any dollies/char so I don't know. We only fished up there for short spurts while caribou hunting.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

as for fishing, any good fly pattern or small 0 -1 mepps spinner or even small spoons.. they are voracious eaters... and if Dolly are in the area.. they will take it too... little fear of meeting spooked or over fished fish.. in many places..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Are the speckle bellies still up there after waterfowl opens? It would be fun to take few with the bow!

According to the regs on page 119, the DHCMA is a bow and arrow only area. I know the spear/wrist rocket thing was discussed a few years ago. Please let me know if this is incorrect or has changed. Thanks

Well down here we calm them sling shots.. i didnt know you could do that but that would be fun. thanks again.

Sounds like you can't. I was under the impression you could use them up there. Always double check regs for yourself.

k thanks for checking.

Myself and a few friends are coming up the last part of august to hunt the happy valley area up north and i am really looking forward to fishing for the dollys up there. We used to fish for them here but FWP doesn't allow that anymore. My question is what do most of you locals carry for personnel protection if anything ? I've never seen the need for it down here but your bears are a little larger and probably a little faster than ours and i can't outrun my friends anymore ( old age )

I will also say beadheads. Me and my buddy tore the grayling up last year on the Dalton. We fished numerous creeks north of the yukon to the arctic circle and back with great success using beadheads. I can't wait to get back up there this year! I have bow hunted numerous times and call me stupid, but I did not take anything for protection other than my bow. I do bear bait in the corridor and I take my sidearm for protection then, but while chasing bou north of the brooks I have not taken anyting; however, I do have a buddy who DLP a bear some years back in the corridor.

Did you guys see much small game?