Thread: Moose or caribou for Fairbanks nonresidents first hunt?

Default Moose or caribou for Fairbanks nonresidents first hunt?

Heres another of my many newby blogs. I have been looking at accesible land in the regs. I will be moving to fairbanks and not be a resident my first year, but will hunt. So would you guys recomend Moose hunting or caribou hunting the first year as a nonresident. Which one would give me a better succes rate and is well "easier" to pursue for lack of a better word. I have noticed there is more open areas and longer seasons for nonresident hunters, hunting caribou as compared to moose. also less stipulations such as antler size.

I would double check the regs but one option is you could always buy the more expensive tag( moose) and if you are unsuccessful at moose use your moose tag to shoot a caribou as it is a lesser tag fee...
    dave

Hey Dakota Boy,

You're going to be active duty right? Go buy a Military Small Game License and concentrate on Military property around Ft. Wainwright the first year. That will only give you about three million acres to hunt on, and the big game tags would be free. An example would be moose in the Tanana Flats. Or even in the Yukon training Area.

Stop by the local gun shops and talk to them (us), about hunting oppertunities. You might just run into somebody to take you under their wing. Or at least point you in the right direction.

Chris

An example is when I arrived back here from Ft. Hood in '97, I bought a Military License and shot a nice eating bull moose across the river that Sept. on a $25 Military license w/ free moose tag.

Chris

And then in December put in for Drawing hunts.

Chris