Thread: 5 gallon food grade buckets

Default 5 gallon food grade buckets

Does anyone know any place in Anchorage you can buy 5 gallon food grade buckets? Thanks!

I used to get them from fast food joints. They get their hamburger pickles in 5 gal buckets and would give them away.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Alaska Mill and Feed probably has them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Actually I think the buckets SBS, Lowes, and Home Depot sell are food grade. On the bottom of every bucket is a triangle with a number in it. 2 is supposedly food grade...

I think old John is right they all should be food safe.
    I get mine from a local laundromat for $2 each with lids included. He gets them full of laundry detergent and thats all that was ever in them.
    I just rinse them well and then use for whatever.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I get mine from a local Pizzeria at a couple of bucks each. They would clean them and they came with snap on lids that seal.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Actually I think the buckets SBS, Lowes, and Home Depot sell are food grade. On the bottom of every bucket is a triangle with a number in it. 2 is supposedly food grade...
    For an item to be considered "food grade", it has to carry the NSF seal. I'm fairly certain that the triangle with a 2 in it signifies the amount of recycled material was used to produce the item. I know for a fact that an NSF seal = food grade.

Default Arctic Brewing Supply

Arctic Brewing supply has 5 and 6 gal food grade buckets. Last time I checked, the buckets at Walmart were also food grade because I called the company that made them and asked when I was stocking up.

#2 For Arctic Brewing Supply for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Arctic Brewing supply has 5 and 6 gal food grade buckets. Last time I checked, the buckets at Walmart were also food grade because I called the company that made them and asked when I was stocking up.
    walmart bucket are fine except I damage the lids taking them off, the first raised band is too high maybe 3/4" down from the top and good buckets are 1 1/2 or so lot's of room for fingers or lid tool
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

dd
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    For an item to be considered "food grade", it has to carry the NSF seal. I'm fairly certain that the triangle with a 2 in it signifies the amount of recycled material was used to produce the item. I know for a fact that an NSF seal = food grade.
    What does an NSF seal look like...??

I paid Arctic Brewing Supply $17 for a 6 gallon (food grade) bucket to brew beer with... in the recycle triangle it has the nr 2... It was my impression the number inside the recycle triangle indicates what raw materials went into the manufacturing of the bucket, which would indicate what materials were safe to store in the bucket... A bucket made with recycled materials probably wouldn't be considered food safe, because it would be difficult to measure or correctly identify all recycled materials. Obviously a bucket with the number 2 is safe to brew beer and wine in... But there is nothing on the bottom of that bucket that specifically says NSF.... could you help us out there.?

dd

What does an NSF seal look like...??

I paid Arctic Brewing Supply $17 for a 6 gallon (food grade) bucket to brew beer with... in the recycle triangle it has the nr 2... It was my impression the number inside the recycle triangle indicates what raw materials went into the manufacturing of the bucket, which would indicate what materials were safe to store in the bucket... A bucket made with recycled materials probably wouldn't be considered food safe, because it would be difficult to measure or correctly identify all recycled materials. Obviously a bucket with the number 2 is safe to brew beer and wine in... But there is nothing on the bottom of that bucket that specifically says NSF.... could you help us out there.?
    The NSF seal is just the letters NSF with a circle around them. Google NSF and you'll see it. Just because an item doesn't have the NSF doesn't mean it's necessarily unsafe for food contact, however items with the NSF seal have been tested and are certified.

The NSF seal is just the letters NSF with a circle around them. Google NSF and you'll see it. Just because an item doesn't have the NSF doesn't mean it's necessarily unsafe for food contact, however items with the NSF seal have been tested and are certified.
    thank you... my beer bucket doesn't have the NSF seal.... guess they figure the Alc will kill off any bad stuff... : >))

thank you... my beer bucket doesn't have the NSF seal.... guess they figure the Alc will kill off any bad stuff... : >))
    I'd be willing to bet that your (and most) buckets would be just fine for a food contact surface. Something that does catch some folks is hoses. The typical garden hose is not the best choice as the fibers/cords which they use for rigidity and strength can harbor bacteria and are difficult to impossible to sanitize. Just food for thought (pun intended).

I'd be willing to bet that your (and most) buckets would be just fine for a food contact surface. Something that does catch some folks is hoses. The typical garden hose is not the best choice as the fibers/cords which they use for rigidity and strength can harbor bacteria and are difficult to impossible to sanitize. Just food for thought (pun intended).
    I had been told (elsewhere) that the numbers to stay away from are 3, 6 and 7 because of the materials used in their construction. 1,2,4 & 5 are considered "safe". Although in recent years, I've never seen a plastic bucket with anything other than a 2 inside the recycle symble.. Although the OP has never stated what the purpose of the buckets is., I'd assume any Nr 2 bucket would work... and a $3 bucket at SBS, HOme Depot, Lowes, and now I see some blue buckets with a nr 2 on them at Walmart would all be more attractive than the $17 buckets the Brewery supply houses are selling... I once decided I could find a cheaper source than the $17 buckets the brewery suppliers sell.. I found several sources in the US and Canada.. Priced as low as $2... but by the time I paid freight or shipping I would end up with another $17 or $18 bucket...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

was in Alaska feed today. and seen food grad buckets there... here in Fairbanks.. i am sure AK feed in Anch does also
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here