Thread: How far off of the ground should my cabin be?

Default How far off of the ground should my cabin be?

We are building the foundation and floor for the cabin in the Talkeetna Mountains this summer. How deep does the snow get in tha Bald Mountain area in the winter? How far off of the ground should the floor of the cabin be?
    Also is post and pad the choice in the area? There is gravel about 8-10" under the dead leaves

Thanks

Ultimately that is your choice, but as a minimum I would go 4 feet. My cabin sits about 4-5 miles from where you will be building depending on where around bald mountain you are and the average snowfall is 4 foot. My cabin is exactly 4 feet off the ground and most times the snow is above the deck. I am building a generator shed currently and I am putting it slightly higher than the cabin at 4 foot 6 inches in the front and just over 5 foot at the back on a slight slope.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Ultimately that is your choice, but as a minimum I would go 4 feet. My cabin sits about 4-5 miles from where you will be building depending on where around bald mountain you are and the average snowfall is 4 foot. My cabin is exactly 4 feet off the ground and most times the snow is above the deck. I am building a generator shed currently and I am putting it slightly higher than the cabin at 4 foot 6 inches in the front and just over 5 foot at the back on a slight slope.

mine is in Trapper Creek and sits 10ft off the ground.

seems to be a little water in the spring..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

We're on a little knob above Trapper Creek, 4 feet off dirt, with gravel a couple of feet below that. That's enough for good drainage and a dry storage area. There is a bit of a tunnel feel going to the front door this winter. Some of the snow that slides off the roof zooms out 15-20 feet from the cabin, but a decent amount stacks up below the windows. The farther the eaves are from the cabin side or windows, the less of an issue that becomes.

some people choose to build 6 plus feet off the ground to skirt the bottom of the cabin as a dirt floor garage for 4 wheelers snowmachines, lumber, lawn mowers, ect.....

We went about 8 feet so we can use the underside as a garage / storage. We are Montana / Sheep creek area
    Attached Images Attached Images