Thread: Looking for an experienced Moose/Caribou hunter in fairbanks to hunt w/ 2012 season

Default Looking for an experienced Moose/Caribou hunter in fairbanks to hunt w/ 2012 season

I will be arriving in Fairbanks/ FT wainwright in early august 2012 and am looking for anyone interseted in showing a newby how its done. Im 28 y/o active duty Army medic and will be stationed at FT wainwright. I have lots of experience hunting and will be locked and loaded with my newly bought Winchester model 70 .338 Alaskan. This may be thinkning a litlle ahead, but I waste no time when it comes to hunting. I have been searching through maps looking at arial photos and reading every possible blog to help my first season be a success. and the read through the Regs ofcourse. I will have many more seasons to hunt the area Infact I dont plan on ever leaving, so hopefully a lifetime, but why waste this first one. After reading the regs and blogs I have become alittle overwhelmed. I am a responsible hunter and want to assure I learn the Alaskan way to hunt correclty. I grew up in a small town in ND can handle the hike, cold and anything thrown at me so rest assured I'm not dead weight. So If anyone with some Alaskan experience would like a hunting companion this coming season please let me know, because I would love to learn.

Come on guys! ;-)

Hey Dakota, best bet IMO, is to find and meet a few of the multitude of hunters from your Post who descend upon the wilds of Alaska each spring and fall and start that way and get in with them. Lots of those guys consume Alaska during their time here and are quite successful - they're young, in shape, and have lots of resources. MANY new military guys (and others) post here looking for info with the basic questions you ask, try the search feature. If you plan on living here, take a slow approach to learning the land and options. It'll pay off and it's rewarding!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I know a little about hunting moose and bou. Would be happy to sit and chat and get you pointed in the right direction. Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    This may be thinking a litlle ahead, but I waste no time when it comes to hunting.
    I'd say perfect timing. Good to see someone planning ahead. Hunting up here is a way more complicated operation than the 48 and you'll need someone who's been there and done that. Good stuff. Welcome to the great land.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

You will love it here in this great land. I am active AF and first came up here in the end of 2007. If I can talk my wife into it, I won't ever leave. Anyway, the easiest place for you to get started with moose is right on the Wainwright ranges. This is where I first started moose hunting and was successful the first year (on the last day). There is lots of land out there, but lots of hunters too. Due to how close it is to where you will be living, you can spend more time out there scouting, hunting and learning about hunting in the wilderness of Alaska. As soon as you arrive on post, get your license and then go to the Natural Resources office on post for the mandatory training you will be required to have to hunt on the ranges. Since you will be here almost a month before the season starts, there will be plenty of time to scout. I think the MWR even has ATVs that you can rent. Good thinking on getting started this first year. The deployment rate is normally pretty crazy for you guys. If you arrive and can't find anyone to show you around, let me know. I've spent quite a bit of time out on the ranges.

Don't go our buying a bunch of new hunting clothing just use what CIF issues you when you get to Wainwright for the first season or two till you figure out exactly what you want/need for clothing.

If you have no luck finding a partner then do like some others have mentioned and look around Wainright, Elmendorf and Greely plenty of moose in all those areas and easy access from trucks 4 wheelers or LPC's.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I know a little about hunting moose and bou. Would be happy to sit and chat and get you pointed in the right direction. Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Steve
    Same goes for me... i've managed it once or twice up here, i am normally pretty avalible to sit over coffee with, and may have time to run you around some...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

will do, I will frequent this thread an return to it around the time I arrive. I will also PM you both when i recieve the jedi powers to do so.

How do you feel about winter hunting?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    How do you feel about winter hunting?
    think you'll need new plans for next year.. IF 20A has antlerless.. you will be done by 12/1
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm grandfathered in on the 20A hunts. I will be going to get something next season no matter

Love it, born and rasied trecking through some cold witnter hunting months in ND. Been down south for about six years now so it will take a few months to climatize again.

Are we talking 40 below for a week? Or -20 and back to the truck every couple hours?

Let me know what gear I need and lets do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbenjamin78 View Post
    As soon as you arrive on post, get your license and then go to the Natural Resources office on post for the mandatory training you will be required to have to hunt on the ranges.
    No class needed to hunt on Wainwright or Eielson, only an access permit which you pick up at the welcome center at the front gate.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

OP, I wish I lived in Fairbanks just so I could have a beer and talk hunting with stid and Vince. It would be in your best interests to get to know them if at all possible.

Let me know what gear I need and lets do it.
    Not giving you a hard time. Just trying to get an idea if you are mentally willing and able to do what it takes in any weather condition to put food on the table.

Love it, born and rasied trecking through some cold witnter hunting months in ND. Been down south for about six years now so it will take a few months to climatize again.

You better watch out mod elan will try and freeze your arse off! And he likes playing in water when its cold out.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Not giving you a hard time. Just trying to get an idea if you are mentally willing and able to do what it takes in any weather condition to put food on the table.
    Hey coach i'm ready to go in.... I'm mentally willing and able to do whatever we are going to do....