Thread: Retriever training classes

Default Retriever training classes

The Alaska Working Retriever Club and Retriever Club of Alaska are offering retriever training classes beginning this Saturday, Feb. 18 in Anchorage. There are two levels, puppy and dogs at least 6 months of age that have some basic obedience. The cost is $100 for 11 weeks of classes, and the price includes membership to the two AKC retriever clubs in Anchorage. It is a great opportunity to learn how to field train your pup and get ready for the fall hunting season or learn how to train your dog for hunt tests and field trials. More information is available at www.alaskaworkingretrieverclub.com, or call Mike Black at 907-444-9088 or Steve McVeigh at 907-841-8783. Hope to see you there!!

I just wanted to say thanks. I'm deployed right now so my wife took Nitro to train with you guys on Saturday. She said that she really enjoyed it and other than Nitro being a little rowdy she said it was an awesome time and very good training.
    Thanks again,

I was there and met your Mrs and Nitro. Good name for him, he's got tons of energy.
    It was eye opening and in my case I've already begun correcting mistakes that were pointed out at the class.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erik,
    How did Saturday's trainings go?

It went well overall, although my dog was being difficult. I'm pretty sure that's because she hadn't done any drills for two days prior and wanted more than the pace of the class delivers.

In class:
    -We practiced walking at heel
    -Presenting to other owners and dogs. We all got in a line with our dogs at heel and each owner took a turn working down the line, stopping in front of every other owner/dog, bringing their dog to heel and make introductions. The purpose was to check for aggressiveness and correct it. Nitro did excellent.

Then we did more single marks with the longline. The focus being on the dog finishing at heel.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

snowstash.jpgGlad to see there is a training session going. I have a new pup, Josey, and would love to jump in but she is not up on all ger puppy shots yet. I will keep in touch. Duckdon

DUCKDON- that's a nice looking pup you have. Sounds like you have your hands full. I recommend you get her shots and get her signed up ASAP. My wife is really happy about the training they are getting and she says the trainers know what they are talking about.

Erik- I'm happy to see that and your pup are enjoying the training. Thanks for update- Nitro is not aggressive to anything that doesn't have feathers. He's actually scared of everything. I'm hoping they are able to move the class outdoors and work with real birds and long blinds. It sucks being deployed and not being there to train and hunt with my dog. My buddy took him hunting Sunday. I'm waiting on a report on how it went.

How's the training going? It's killing me not being able to be there.

Bnkwnto I am doing stuff at home with "Josey" alis: ind*******vonritterberg. Still working my pup through the puppy shots stage so we are not meeting with other dogs yet. She is in the potty training mode and I think she has a bladder infection so I am taking her in Monday for a check. She knows and understands that she needs to go outside but she just can't hold it. Poops are no problem, never an accident. Pee, a different story. Even when she goes out, she will pee a bunch, then every few minutes pee more the whole time she is out. Anyway, other work is in progress but I am letting her ba a puppy for the most part. I am working on her blood tracking and will run her again today. Chasing a wing on a pole and doing some short bumper retrieves. Mostly just spending time being a pup. Looking forward to getting the "thumbs up" after the puppy shots are done. Then the real fun can begin. Later
    Duckdon

Dockdon,

I have a female Lab that had a UTI as a pup at about 11 or 12 weeks...they can get really bothersome really fast..first noticed something odd with pee cycle and w/in 24 hours she (and I) were miserable. I have heard it said, and from my experiance I would tend to agree, that they are more susceptiple to them in the future, and they will tend to pee/female mark, more frequently. I would not wait to long to get this pup to the vet. In our case the anti-biotics worked well and the pup and carpet were much happier.
    Good luck
    PCnAK

Quote Originally Posted by Chesaka View Post
    The Alaska Working Retriever Club and Retriever Club of Alaska are offering retriever training classes beginning this Saturday, Feb. 18 in Anchorage. There are two levels, puppy and dogs at least 6 months of age that have some basic obedience. The cost is $100 for 11 weeks of classes, and the price includes membership to the two AKC retriever clubs in Anchorage. It is a great opportunity to learn how to field train your pup and get ready for the fall hunting season or learn how to train your dog for hunt tests and field trials. More information is available at www.alaskaworkingretrieverclub.com, or call Mike Black at 907-444-9088 or Steve McVeigh at 907-841-8783. Hope to see you there!!
    When I saw your user name I had to look close as my old Chessie was named "Cheska"...."Cheska Bay Lady of South Lake" to be exact. She's been gone for many years now but I think of her and our time, almost everyday. Your post brought back many memories. Please indulge me...

I had just moved to AK. back in 83' and was living with my father in Anchortown. I happened to read about some upcoming retriever trials in Portage. So when the day came I loaded up Cheska and headed south as I thought it would be fun to watch. Upon arrival I stood there with Cheska as we both watched as everybody was busy setting up the trials. I noticed a young boy with a young black lab having a somewhat hard time keeping him calm. I also noticed one older gentleman looking my way from time to time. Before long I saw the lab sent on a retrieve that just wasn't going to happen. Just about that time the older man that had looked my way walked over to me and introduced himself....

"Nice looking Chessie, is she going to run in the trials?"

"Oh no." I said..."She's not enrolled, I just wanted to come down here to watch as I've never been to one before."

"Oh I see" said the man, "But does she work?"

I said, "Oh yes sir, she sure does."

He went on to say, "If you've probably noticed that black lab over there, he was supposed to be our "test dog" for each of the trials. As you can see he's just too excited and it isn't going to work out. I was wondering if you would like to run your dog as our test dog?"

Even though I really didn't know what the "test dog" did, needless to say I was almost blown over with those words. All those years of training and wonderful hunts, and now I get to show a few people in Alaska what she could do?....I was nervous, but I couldn't get the words out fast enough...."Oh yes sir....what do we have to do...???!!!

He explained to me about how a test dog just runs each course before the dogs that are entered run them, just to make sure everything is set up right. The one trial I will always remember was a blind retrieve. I was told where the duck was on the far side of the pond in some march grasses. I stood with Cheska at heal on this side of the pond. On the other side of the pond was a guy with a shotgun. At the sound of the gun, I was to send Cheska on a line to the bird. At the blast of the gun she looked in the direction of the sound. I got down next to her head, pointed towards the bird and sent her with the word, "Back". She swam a beautiful line towards the bird. When she was there I said "Ok, fetch it up". As she just started to swim by the duck she heard me and caught the scent at the same time. She swam around the bird, grabbed it, and headed back. When she was about 20 feet from me, I noticed that her head started jerking to the right, and her head would almost go under. I wondered what the heck? Then somebody said "The duck didn't release from the anchor!" Cheska was pulling the duck AND the weight all the way across the pond, and now that it was getting shallow, the weight was getting hung up on the bottom as she swam in closer. It was a struggle, but she kept on coming. As she approached the shore, I walked up to her and said "Stay". She held the duck and didn't shake, as I untangled the mono filament line and clothes pin from the wing of the bird. She stayed as I stepped back a few feet and said "Ok, heal up". She came around me and healed up beautifully all the time with duck in her mouth. I reached down and and she gently released the bird into my hand and I said, "Good girl...shake!!!" . I remember it being so quiet this whole time, so I was shocked as the whole palace erupted in applause...!!! The man walked up to me, shook my hand and said, "Beautiful retrieve son...you've got a fantastic dog there...!!!

As the day went on Cheska did as good as any of the dogs that were entered. It was probably one of the best days of my life. People came up to me all day long saying fond words about Cheska. I couldn't have been more proud of my girl.

One thing that I am so happy for is that my father got to hunt ducks and geese over Cheska before he passed as well. It's something I will always cherish as it was a passion for my father and I.

I Hope you don't mind letting me tell my little story. I have to say that as I typed this, after all these years it was still hard to hold back the tears. Cheska was that one in a million, and we had many, MANY wonderful times together. I love it when she comes to visit me in my dreams. I love you old girl, and we'll be hunting together again someday.

Enjoy those special times together with your canine friends.....

Thanks...!!!

4merguide, thanks for your story.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    4merguide, thanks for your story.
    Thank you...it was a VERY special time in my life for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    When I saw your user name I had to look close as my old Chessie was named "Cheska"...."Cheska Bay Lady of South Lake" to be exact. She's been gone for many years now but I think of her and our time, almost everyday. Your post brought back many memories. Please indulge me...-Thanks...!!!
    Thanks for the post. It brought back some memories of my own at the line with CH WR Chesaka Zoe's Bruin Hilde WDX. There is nothing like that day when you think this is what it was all for. For me, it came last year with Hilde when she got her Working Retriever title at a NAHRA test where she was the only dog to qualify at her level under national president Frank Plewa. As we moved through the series and had just the water blind to do, it was just Hilde and me. She was overexcited doing her land blind in the morning and it was a bit rough. I didn't know how the water blind would go. I then noticed a gathering of all the other handlers and their dogs and heard someone say, "Not too much pressure on you Mary" and laugh. I felt calm though (unusual for me) and when I sent her she went right in, swam a straight line, took a beautiful back cast and went straight to the bird, swam back and delivered to hand. Short conference with the co-judge and Plewa came and shook my hand.
    As for the name, Chesaka is my kennel name, for Chesapeake and Alaska of course. Glad it brought back good memories for you. I can tell you love the brown dogs as I do.

Just a quick question. Anyone know the web site for holiday kennels?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

4merguide

Quote "I Hope you don't mind letting me tell my little story. I have to say that as I typed this, after all these years it was still hard to hold back the tears. Cheska was that one in a million, and we had many, MANY wonderful times together. I love it when she comes to visit me in my dreams. I love you old girl, and we'll be hunting together again someday.

Enjoy those special times together with your canine friends....."

I don't mind at all...I love to hear a story like this. All of us with dogs have memories etched in our brains that can remind us of lessons learned, frustrations endured, joy, laughter, and bring tears to our eyes.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Just a quick question. Anyone know the web site for holiday kennels?
    You mean Howl-A-Day Kennels? If so, their website is http://www.howladay.us/index.html

4merguide, Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful story!