Thread: Anybody shoot or own the Taurus 444 Ultralight 44 mag?

Default Anybody shoot or own the Taurus 444 Ultralight 44 mag?

I'm not looking for negative comments from folks who've never owned or shot one. I'm just looking for reviews from folks who've shot or owned this pistol. It seems to be very moderately priced, comfortable in the hand, and extremely lightweight (28 oz). I might be interested in this as a future pistol due to the lightweight.

Make sure you get aftermarket grips. The ultralights are not much fun to shoot. I have shot the .357 and the .44. The .357 stings a little after 5 shots. The 44 stings alot after every shot. I am sure if you were using it in any kind of situation you wouldnt even notice it with your adrenaline up, but when your sighting it in and getting use to its handling initially you will want the grips and maybe even some leather gloves. I was shooting them bare handed and factory grips and I dont think I would do that for very long!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I shot 12 rounds through a buddies. Kicked just like my 329pd and the stock grip is surprisingly comfortable and did a good job of soaking up some recoil.

thanks for telling me a bit about the 444, was it reliable? What type of bullets did you fire through it?

I was shooting backpacker 320 gr hardcast in the 44. The guy that owns the gun has replaced the wood grips and shoots it all the time. So far as he hasnt had any reliability issues.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

The 12 I shot were BB 305 grain. No hiccups with them.

Its not too bad at all for recoil with the rubber grip. My brother has one, never had any trouble with it. I have heard bad stuff about the locks on high recoil guns but never seen it. Did have a raging bull 44 lock up in the timing, the hand got stuck, Taurus USA fixed it up but I still dont like the raging bulls. A Tracker in 41 is the one Im thinking on, looks handy.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I had the Tracker 44 mag at 34 oz with the ribbed rubber grips. It was comfortable to shoot, the grips were very good and soft, and the revolver was pretty accurate as well. That was until the lead and jacket material built up around the barrel's forcing cone because of how out of alignment the chambers were with the barrel. After 15 shots or so, the hammer was almost impossible to cock because of the resistance of the buildup. The chamber throats measured .429, so I even loaded up some .429 bullets, both lead and jacketed, but the problem persisted. I got rid of it soon afterward.