Thread: Good hand gun to carry for bear protection

Default Good hand gun to carry for bear protection

What would be a decent hand gun to carry while hunting in AK? My guess somthing large enough to hold back a bear, but small enough to easily carry. Also in AK is there regualtions governing If you can carry both a gun/rifle while bow hunting. The rifle for protectiona nd shooting game not governed with the BOW only regulations. the area i plan to bow hunt is the fairbanks managment area.

I carry a .22 pistol, while Bear Hunting and shoot the Bear , and other game, with the rifle, the .22 as a finnisher and for smallgame, but useing a bow, your carrying quite the load there Bow, Rilfe, Pistol.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Just hire stranger's new neighbor for a bodyguard; anyone who can put 7 shots rapid fire in a critter I want watchin' my back!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

This topic needs to be a sticky, since it is asked almost every other day......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    the sticky bear handgun topic... now i wonder where that one would wander off to...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I know where ya can sticky it....<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    What would be a decent hand gun to carry while hunting in AK? My guess somthing large enough to hold back a bear, but small enough to easily carry. Also in AK is there regualtions governing If you can carry both a gun/rifle while bow hunting. The rifle for protectiona nd shooting game not governed with the BOW only regulations. the area i plan to bow hunt is the fairbanks managment area.
    I think what everyone is trying to say in their own sweet way is that there are a lot of threads on this subject. However to point you in the right direction there are a lot of variables to your question,like what is your budget,can you shoot a larger pistol with the recoil, and so on and so forth, there a lot of good gun/bullet combos out there. One of the best answers I read and I wish I could give them credit for it here, but cant find the post" anything is better then kung foo" or something like that. Also Im with strangerinastrangeland that is quit a load to carry around all three.
    Dave

just make sure you file the front sight off....

(yeah, it's an old one... but so is the topic )
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Maybe a sticky saying if you don'y try search first you become read only for a month.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

For bear protection, carry the biggest gun you can shoot quickly and accurately, stopping power is all about shot placement and how many times you can hit it in the vitals.............IMO

Whether hunting or in self defense hitting the target accurately is #1.

Everyone is diffrent in what they are comfortable with or want to carry, it has too be convienent other wise it will get left behind, for a brown bear a 44 is minimum, IMO. As long as its manageable for the shooter....short shotgun is hard to beat.....but more akward to carry. But really most bear attacks happen so fast there isnt much time for anything but a reaction, hopefully its the right one.

Have you read the regs yet.......?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm surprised it doesn't have it's own forum by now.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

What would be a decent hand gun to carry while hunting in AK? My guess somthing large enough to hold back a bear, but small enough to easily carry.
    I don't think there is a gun large engough on this planet to hold back a bear. Bears are pretty strong, and can easily climb up and over most anything. Then can even dig out 200 to 300 pound boulders while going for parka squirrels. So no gun could hold one back. One of those Nazi rail car mounted howitzers, they would just climb up and over.

Are there handguns that could stop a bear dead with a CNS hit? Yes, there are lots of handguns that will do that. So many in fact that it is covered by many threads down on the handgun forum.

I also agree that this question needs a sticky in both the hunting forum and the handgun forum. Fishing forum. Hiking forum. Well, it might not be possible to locate every forum where noobs ask this same question over and over again. Its like down on the waterfowl forum and the FNGs that ask where to go duck hunting around Anchorage, but not wanting anyone's honey hole. We need a sticky for that as well.

I take all three. (Bow, Pistol, Rifle) but use an ATV to carry the load.

Are you thinking of buying a hand gun ... or trying to decide which one in your collection that you should take when afield?

If you are rifle hunting, you don't need a handgun. The management area is, as you noted, archery only so you'll need your certification. Take a handgun that you can practice with and shoot well. It is less than useless if you can't shoot straight and just make the bear more p***** off that it already is. Although the danger of bears is real, its no where near (imho) as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.
    Then maybe the best is just a .22 but that is also an old one.

Lots of options regarding the handgun choice as others have said. Whatever you choose, it only does any good if you are going to have it with you. Bigger is better for stopping power, but doesn't do much good if it is so big that you end up leaving it at home or in camp rather than taking it with you. Smaller is easier to carry, but not as much stopping power. You do typically get more shots with a smaller, lower caliber gun which can be beneficial if you are being attacked. You may not get as much punch from a single shot, but if you can get 10-15 rounds off, you might have a better chance of at least one or two hitting the target. Personally, I have a .460 for out hunting and a 10mm Glock 29 for other activities like running/mountain biking.

Regarding the gun while bow hunting, it depends on the specific area. In most areas, there is no problem. Even here in Anchorage on JBER (Joint Base Elmendord/Richardson), they have started allowing civilians to carry handguns for protection during the archery hunts). Keep in mind though, as you may have read already, for an archery specific hunt (weapons restricted hunt), you must be IBEP certified. You can hunt with a bow on any non-restricted hunt without the certification, but the certification is required for the limited hunts.

Ok well I think we have established I need to research the thread more figured laziness would pay of guess not. For ibep Virginia requires this to so I have that one taken care off. I will probably enroll in either this or hunter safety again in Alaska because these courses tend to produce great area specific info. Besides what else's am I going to do in the extreme cold winter months. I'll leave hibernation to the bears.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.705409,-77.144078