Thread: Ordering New Stag AR-15, Need Some Advice

Default Ordering New Stag AR-15, Need Some Advice

Hello Everyone,

The beginning of March I will be ordering an Ar-15 from Stag Arms in Connecticut. It's funny, I just moved from CT to Alaska, but Ct had two many regs concerning owning an AR, so I waited until I got here. I was thinking of their left handed 2TL and adding a plus package. This is standard with their 1, 2, 2T, 3, and 8 models:

- Carpenter 158 shot peened Bolt with black extractor spring
    - Shrouded full circle AR15 bolt carrier with side staked carrier key
    - 5.56 NATO chambered barrel with chrome lining, 1/9 twist, double lead lapped, and parkerized under the front sight base
    - F marked front sight base with taper pins
    - Double heatshield handguards
    - Mil-Spec size 7000 series aluminum receiver extension with staked receiver nut (also known as castle nut)
    - One 30rd USGI Magazine*

A plus package would include this for an additional $100.00:

- 4150 barrel steel chrome lined
    - 1/7 Twist rifling
    - M4 feed ramps
    - Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
    - M-16 Bolt Carrier
    - Heavy (H) buffer assembly
    - One extra 30rd USGI Magazine (two total)*

I plan on shooting only Nato 5.56, no 223. Would it be worth it to have the 1/7 twist over the standard 1/9? Would it improve accuracy?

The other thought I had was going for their 8 model which is a piston driven as opposed to gas, is piston more reliable in the long run, or is it a draw. Would it be worth getting the piston driven on the model 8 and give up the nice accessories afforded on the 2TL? Any advice, input, constructive criticism would be appreciated.

God Bless

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

I dont have a Stag arms, but i would say go for the 1:7 twist. I have one and i have never had a problem with any ammo i ran through it... ive never tried really light and fast ammo (35-40gn pushing 3.5-4k) which might spin it too fast, but the heavier NATO stuff and even the old 55gn NATO, i have used both in mine, will be good in the 1:7.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Thanks Josh, I was hoping to use the rifle as a "Designated Marksman Rifle", would 1/7 twist effect accuracy at longer ranges? I guess I want my cake and eat it too lol! Thanks again, and stay warm in Afghanistan.

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

it will keep the heavy bullets spinning all the way out as far as you would need, the biggest thing will be your choice of ammo, 5.56 Nato isnt the best stuff out there but it does work. the worst thing i can see would be if you had the 1:7 and you went with some really light and fast ammo the 7" might spin them too fast, but i really dont think it would be a problem. im sure one of the other guys will chime in and explain it better.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

If you're dead set on Stag, definitely go with the plus package...

I'm a lefty but do fine with normal righty ARs. Likely resale value will be higher with righties!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Piston drive can cost a few bucks more, but when you're dealing with ammo you don't have control over the quality of, the piston drive will operate better when dirty. We did a test comparing 2 ARs, one piston one gas and had better success running the piston with ammo that wasn't as clean burning.

I'd also go for the 1:7 twist.

Stags are great guns.

I'm loving Rock River Arms right now, but am looking to test a Stag again here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Outwrite View Post
    We did a test comparing 2 ARs, one piston one gas and had better success running the piston with ammo that wasn't as clean burning.
    Can you share specifics of your test?

Just send him over to M4C and let the wolves deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just send him over to M4C and let the wolves deal with it
    HAHA...let IraqGunz have a go...

Ha, I see IraqGunz has a reputation that spans across numerous web sites. Hopefully you haven't bought a stag yet. If you are looking for a DI AR a good colt, Noveske or LMT would be my choice. If you are looking for a piston operated AR, I would go with an LWRC, or H&K makes a civilian version of the 416 now I think. I haven't shot a POF yet but the reviews I've seen say they are decent. I know the earlier POF's had issues with carrier tilt. I own both a DI and a piston gun and see no major differences as far as accuracy goes. My LWRC does stay cleaner, but it was a lot of money. A good DI gun can run for ever just make sure you use good lube and keep it lubed regularly. Whatever you get, I suggest the 1:7 twist just like the general consensus seems to be. Remember, you get what you pay for, keep it simple and keep it practical. There is no point in a frankengun IMO. Get good BUIS, an optic you like, I currently run an AIMPOINT CompM4s with a 2 MOA dot on my LWRC. I have consistent 4-5" MOA groups at 150m using 77gr SSA ammo. If you want to get out a little further, I'm liking the Trijicon accupoints the 1-4x24 one. What’s nice about the trijicon, is they have the tritium reticle, you can have magnification for further distances and, if you want a "red dot" type function you can leave it unmagnified and keep the front lens cap on and viola, illuminated dot or chevron for up-close.