Thread: Rabbits turn to Caribou.....

Default Rabbits turn to Caribou.....

I took the second and fourth oldest daughters out for some Rabbit hunting today, as I didnt want to buy from the store , nore eat fish, because that what the wife had thawed, and sometimes I just dont want Fish....

So off we went , and had a marvalus time, the younger , Carol, spotted every Rabbit, and took multipull shots at each, and honnestly, missed every shot from her box....50.
    The second Daughter, Iriqtaq scored on 4 and I caught 5 ,so into the backpack and the return walk home.

Well 1/2 a mile from town we spotted 50-60 Caribou comming across the river ahead and I thought we should sit still and watch incase someone else was watching them, and sure enough "Bam!" and one was cartwheeling and down, a second Female took a hit, stopped and tipped after a few seconds, and we sat and watched as the rest milled around trying to figure out which way to go....and off they went when Joe and Harry poped up...

My friends walked out of the willows ahead, dragging a hand sled and were working out the gutting detail when another group came out , following the trail those before had set, and must have mistaken Harry and Joe for other Caribou (The river is WIDE), so, Joe sat down and took a shot, She was very Fat, and once again, made a great hit, blood gushing and all, tipped over and done....... and as the others ran closer (LOL!), a snowmachine came tearing out and the guy on it came to a halt and proceeded to pump 6 or 7 shots into the Caribou, after it was down...Hmmmmmmmmmmmm??? ***??? The girls said nothing, but I could see they were as awstruck as I, so we wlked out and visited while they worked their meats.

Joe was a bit disgruntled, but since none of us knew who this guy was (Turned out to be a 'Tom" come lately) but since this guy litterally shot the animal out from "under" Joe , its assumed he must have needed it badly.
    He then drove across to where the other Caribou had gained river bank a few minutes before, and proceeded to get stuck in the willows, and spent the better part of an hour getting unstuck, but Joe and Harry finished the 2 Caribou they were dissassembling, loaded their sled and we helped drag it back to the rivers edge, 500 yards to the village on foot. 2 caribou is plenty in a hand sled, and we discussed what to do, and Joe decided to see if the guy was gonna finnish up or what......we had no idea, but we waited to make sure.....

Finally he pulled up, introduced himself, a pipline worker for 3 years now, up from FBX and we found hes boyfriend to a local gal, and in a thick Southern accent and ask us "Why did you'all leave thet Caribou??!!" and all Joe said "Its yours..... seems you want it so badly" and the guy laughed and told Joe he just wanted to shoot something, and was helping out. Told us all about shooting "Hogs" and making Magpie food back at his home, and how is semi Remington 30-06 was "The Bangstick".....ohhhh, wonderfull.........

Maybe everyones lack of something to say gave 'em the hint, but off he sped on his 900Polaris, matching suit and all..."The Bangstick" too.....
    I and the girls took Joes knife (dropped mine (!!!!!)) and took care of the Caribou, Joe and Harry dropped off the rabbits at my house and their load at theirs and returned with Joes snowgo, sled and the skinned, gutted, carcass was deliverd to said girlfriends house, and the story grows, as it was quite a fat Female, but 1 .223 in the head and 7 .30-06 soft points to the back and quarters.....Seems the family he's hooked up with will see how this guy "hunts" and we had a laugh with them as they looked over the meats and how best to salvage what they could.............looks like we gotta new guy around.........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Sad to see some hunter like that and I hope his girlfriends family straightens him out quickly. Sounds like you and the girls had an eventful day out and about.

It was actually a strange enough happening to post here.........

I see enthuseasum and ignorance.......... oh what a little bit of Knowlage can do to make things better.

I should have him over for lunch, see how he is.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Make you post up on how that lunch date goes Chip. On a good note he was using a 30-06 so he was well enough armed for anything in Alaska.

glad you had a good time with your kids, and... sorry for your new "neighbor". Like it was said before i hope his GF and her family gets him educated a bit.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Sounds like a good bunny catching day! Carol will the hang of it soon enough. Sorry to hear about "Tom", really sad but you guys kept your heads cool and thought it was great you delivered said caribou to his GF! Atleast he shot the one that was dead on its feet and not 7 others!

Default This is an example of poor judgement!

If I read this story correctly this so called hunter and I use this term loosely, should be turned in for what we Alaskans call Waton Waste!! They should take away his new toy and snow machine !! Why is this being excepted???????????

a mis-guided do gooder for sure, but criminal, not in my mind. lunch and education in procedure seems appropriate. i get a lot of satisfaction helping people do the right thing rather than demonizing the stuff they do wrong.

I see enthuseasum and ignorance.......... oh what a little bit of Knowlage can do to make things better.

The 2 sentances above represent stranger as a "true hunter" more than anything else I have seen on here. Good on you, chip. Help the guy, and his local gal, to be a better hunter.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Well I didnt get him here for lunch, but I did stand with him in the gas line to day and poked at him a bit more than outside his House. He told me he was aiming each shot for the head, and at the 100 or so yards away he was, he thought his impacts were the Caribou "trying to get up"...........Ok.........but was too embarrassed when we dropped it off to speak up about it.

THAT is sorta the start of a good change, hopefully hes too embarrassed to do so again. Haveing a few folks around chukling is a big motivator, at least around here, to do better next time, but I can see that he had good intentions, just no previous experiance.Hes pretty cool and seemed to want to do better, or maybe not again so thats a major plus.

Also found out its perfectly legal to shoot "Hogs" downsouth and leave them to rot, no closed season either.
    He was in no way 'wontonly wasteing" as Joe had first shot and connected, making that animal his. Around here, a second shot made by someone else is a big old "NO NO", unless asked to do so, or by prearrangement, (often its a guy watching his animal get back up or reloading and catching eyes, then a wink or nod tward the animal will have another guy putting it down, but not before) because Guys shooting already shot animals will be expecting a 'Share" of the catch, no different than Whaleing and placing harpoons, but a Whale is big enough to divvie up with out having one guy taking the expense or doing all the work. If someone "needs" to follow a Hunter, and in Dogteam days this was very common, taking a handler , the Hunter will do the shooting and the others will work along side and under the direction of the Hunter.

Our debate at the rivers edge and watching his doings, we did what we shoulda, but pressed the point on this guy by the delivery to his home for all to see. We pretty much had figured this guy had no idea how to go about such, so I gave hiim an open invitation to stop by and check out my rifles and such, and Im thinking he will, he knows very few folks here.

Stranger,

It sure is good of you to take the time to "help" aquant the new guy to hunting. He may have shot things in the past, but sure don' sound like a hunter to me.

Chris

Sounds like you and the girls had a good day bunny hunting, interupted by a good learning experiance for your girls to reinforce the proper hunting values you are teaching them im sure. Its nice to see you willing to help, after the propper and deserved prodding, as a lot of people would not. good on you.

And its ok if Carol missed a bunch. just a good excuse to go out and shoot with her somemore, and shooting with your kids or family is bound to be just another good day out. its win-win

Fin

Well I didnt get him here for lunch, but I did stand with him in the gas line to day and poked at him a bit more than outside his House. He told me he was aiming each shot for the head, and at the 100 or so yards away he was, he thought his impacts were the Caribou "trying to get up"...........Ok.........but was too embarrassed when we dropped it off to speak up about it.

THAT is sorta the start of a good change, hopefully hes too embarrassed to do so again. Haveing a few folks around chukling is a big motivator, at least around here, to do better next time, but I can see that he had good intentions, just no previous experiance.Hes pretty cool and seemed to want to do better, or maybe not again so thats a major plus.

Also found out its perfectly legal to shoot "Hogs" downsouth and leave them to rot, no closed season either.
    He was in no way 'wontonly wasteing" as Joe had first shot and connected, making that animal his. Around here, a second shot made by someone else is a big old "NO NO", unless asked to do so, or by prearrangement, (often its a guy watching his animal get back up or reloading and catching eyes, then a wink or nod tward the animal will have another guy putting it down, but not before) because Guys shooting already shot animals will be expecting a 'Share" of the catch, no different than Whaleing and placing harpoons, but a Whale is big enough to divvie up with out having one guy taking the expense or doing all the work. If someone "needs" to follow a Hunter, and in Dogteam days this was very common, taking a handler , the Hunter will do the shooting and the others will work along side and under the direction of the Hunter.

Our debate at the rivers edge and watching his doings, we did what we shoulda, but pressed the point on this guy by the delivery to his home for all to see. We pretty much had figured this guy had no idea how to go about such, so I gave hiim an open invitation to stop by and check out my rifles and such, and Im thinking he will, he knows very few folks here.
    unfortunately, "hogs" are considered a nuisance animal down here and a lot are left to waste. some are scared to eat them thanks to all the "media" attention hogs get and how they're all disease laden beasts.

hello from Southern Ontario Canada...been a member here for awhile as I enjoy hunting msg boards especially when there isnt a lot of pissing matches and I can tell you guys this is a good one. Now on to my post....
    Chip I have to tell you Im 41 and have been "legally" hunting (ie bunnies with a pellet gun and squirrels before license, which were eaten) for 30 years. I guide duck hunters in the fall and have bow and gun hunted many places. Ive been exposed to a tonne of people who hunt. I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a true hunter as I have been by you. The way you handled this situation has taught me so much as to patience and the right way to handle a situation. Congrats on being a stand up human and you have an open invitation at my house if for some crazy reason you ever find yourself in ontario.
    Doug

Patience helps with children and newcommers. Both need a little info, an example and then an opportunity.....
    Ive seen this same sort of 'lesson' before too, but in differing ways, as well as applied to myself from others who wanted me to do better.
    I havent seen Tom yet, but I think hell go out for Rabbits with me and Huntak59 this weekend if I can get him over here again

The hardest folks to help are the ones who do exactly opposite as you tell 'em, wanna do it thier way, and thats where I find much amusment.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Sad to see some hunter like that and I hope his girlfriends family straightens him out quickly. Sounds like you and the girls had an eventful day out and about.
    Oh boy go eat some chips

You are a bigger man than I am Chip. My first reaction would have set the tone between that guy and I.
    I marvel at and admire the approach you picked. Would have never thought of it. Delivering the goods..priceless.

Now if I can remember the lesson of this thread, I can be a bit better of a man.

Either that or he got you to clean "his" catch....
    and grins a little bit everything he eats dinner.

Great thread
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I was more of an observer on this one, and I didnt mind skinning and gutting, its a 5 minute job and some anatomy work for the girls Besides, It was Joe who I did so for, and where it went is the way Joe sent it

This has to be one of the best threads yet! Stranger, this is a great lesson and great points.

A great lesson for all of us there, thanks for sharing Stranger...!!