Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Private Herd.............kids hunt

Default My Private Herd.............kids hunt

Last years Ox hunt was a local area hunt. There was a large herd just outside the closed area that was monitored by a few state and fed govt workers and attempted to keep secret. Kinda their own private herd. One of the govt guys buds let me in on the secret and I got an Ox just before the quota was met and the area closed.
    This year the local area, 22C was only 8 permits and you had to be in line at F&G here in Nome on June 24 to get one. I was there and got one. So this year, with only 2 other guys with permits for the same area...............I had a guaranteed Ox...........more or less. But, didn't have anyone else to communicate with on herd location.
    Was trying to rely on co-workers.........pilots.........to help with info, but they weren't coming thru. Got on the snogo last week and a 15 minute ride found me a herd in my permitted area. Neither of the other 2 permitees had harvested an Ox yet either.
    Sunday the 12th was a good day so we loaded up. It's legal to let a kid hunt on your permit so this was a chance for my 11 yr old daughter to make her first kill. Should I say ........"harvest"? Here we are about ready to go:

Got the kid an AR in 6.8 spc last summer. Haven't spent as much time at the range as I would like, but...............the range was on the way to the herd!! Had some handloads I wanted to try too. Here is the kid at the range:

I took my AR in 6.8 also. Did a little shooting with both guns and then it was off to my very own private herd...........and I d***** sure didn't tell any govt guys where it was.............haha! Just another couple miles and the herd was in sight:

Decided to approach the herd from down wind so we had to go around back of the ridge they were on. Was hoping to use the slope of the hill to allow us to identify our intended animal...........cow only...........figured they wouldn't see us till we were close and had a target picked out. Unfortunately, as soon as we started seeing them, they started grouping up. I wanted a mature cow and was having trouble identifying one. You need to see the horns to safely identify the sex and age. Here is about what we had to deal with by the time we had a good view of the animals:

Now it is mostly a waiting game. Move a little, wait a little. We were fortunate and a good cow positioned herself in a safe shooting spot. My daughter isn't the most gung ho hunter. Took a lot of encouragement on my part to even get her on this hunt. She was expressing reservations about shooting one just minutes before the chance at the cow opened up. The slope of the hill only allowed us to see the top 2/3rds of the cow and I was asking her is she thought she could shoot it when the gun went off. No sooner did I hear the report of the gun and the cow went down. The 120 gr. Hornady SST hit the Ox just under the vertebrae and knocked her down. I put one into her chest after we walked up to hasten the end. Here is the successful hunter and my sig. other:

Now it's time to get the Ox home. Nice mature female. There were 3 mature bulls in this herd.............would have preferred one of them. Drive the sled up next to the Ox, lean the sled up against her and roll the whole thing over. I like a blanket in the bottom and we also scooped snow on to absorb blood and cushion the ride home. Here is the package ready to drive home:

The ride home was pretty easy, about 10 miles. Here's the g.f and daughter (hiding) on the way home. You can see town in the background:

Once we are home the work begins. Temps were in the 20s so the back yard was the butchering location. Bet most of you guys ain't been around Ox cutting. They are always FAT animals. Very healthy. Never seen, and never herd, of a skinny one. Here is the cow partially skinned:

Made the kid help a little with the skinning and quartering. She was slightly interested. Hunt was on Sunday. She didn't even tell any of her class mates the next day at school. I guess she has been around most of her family killing and cutting up critters all her life so it isn't the big thing to her it is to others. I'll be pushing her to hunt griz on the snogo this spring.

This is likely my/our last Ox hunt. Moving to Fbks this summer. Have to be satisfied with Moose, bou, maybe a blackie now and then. That Ox meat is sure GOOD!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Good job getting your daughter out there I try and get my girls out as often as possible though they would prefer we spend even more time out I am sure. Congrats to your daughter on a fine looking Muskox!

Way Cool Huntress you have there, MT.

Hmmmmmmm, how to define an animals demise to the meat hunter...... Farmers "Harvest" Hunters "Catch", Soldiers "Kill"........but thats me, as words on this here Internet seem to shift in meaning amongst readers

Scabbards mounted like that are popular up this way too, hard to beat.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Way to go, Mike, and great on getting the daughter out there, congrats to her. Looks like some great meat and a wonderful hide.

Martentrapper congrats to your daughter,and to you a proud father Great job.....

Thanks for sharing the hunt ,catch ,kill what ever with us ,Proud does not seem like a good enough word for how that would make a father feel.My daughter got in to skeet shooting in high school but never hunted [I love skeet].She is 29 and has given me a grandson ,age 3 now, and he knows all the animals in my game room.My son [27] has autism and does not talk let alone hunt .I think I will know how you feel in about 6 more years .Thank you again for creating another hunter martintrapper.

Good job all around there "martentrapper " Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice MT, conrgrats to a beautiful young Huntress!
    One thing I found raising my daughter and son was to be careful and not push them to fast to do what I wanted - it worked out better to usually ask them what they wanted to do and yes many times it was not what I wanted to do. Be patient and I bet she enjoys it much more than it shows to hunt with the "old man" !
    Very nice pics! THX
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Right on Mike! Great memories and AWESOME eating!!

Good job Mike and daughter! That meats looks really good!

Nicely done! Great job at encouraging your daughter and supporting her along the way. I've got some young ladies in my classes that hunt with their fathers, and the effect of that time spent together in the woods is noticeable in other areas of their lives.

But...moving to Fairbanks? Say it isn't so! You were going to be my Nome connection someday when I make it up there to explore and/or hunt.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Nice mike! Cant wait to show you the ropes around here this summer..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Outstanding
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrats to your daughter.

But I'm confused. The trouble you give Mark (Bushrat) about sheep, I would think you'd be out pushing for a 40-60% muskox harvest rate for non res hunters. Why should the locals get all the muskox? Should be an unlimited draw for non res and all that once in a lifetime stuff.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Congrats to your daughter.

But I'm confused. The trouble you give Mark (Bushrat) about sheep, I would think you'd be out pushing for a 40-60% muskox harvest rate for non res hunters. Why should the locals get all the muskox? Should be an unlimited draw for non res and all that once in a lifetime stuff.
    not to stear this thread away any further... BUT SERIOUSLY?????????

Dux, comon, i knew you were behind on how things work, [nevermind MIke i edited myself] I sure even Mark can explain to you in understandable terms WHY subsistence regs and hunting regs are as they are...

no lets let this THREAD be a nice thread and not a managment discussion
    Last edited by Vince; 02-15-2012 at 11:25. Reason: *groan!!!!!!!!!!!!*
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey dux, no problem on the questions. I can take the heat.
    You really need to learn more about wildlife management in this state. Sheep in most of the state are managed as a trophy species. Just like Kodiak and the Pen brown bear. As such, draw hunts are the way to manage hunters when sheep numbers are low.
    Musk Ox in unit 22 are a subsistence species. Unit 22 was given, by the BoG, a "Customary and Tradional" use finding. So Ox are manged with Tier II and Tier I reg. hunts.
    However, dux, there is a draw hunt in 22E and I support that. Tho few of those permits go to non res.
    There is also a draw for unit 18 Ox on Nunivak. Unit 18 does not have C&T for Ox. I'm fine with that.
    The hunt I and my daughter participated in was a registration Tier I hunt only open to residents. I'm also fine with that.
    The day could come when there are enough Ox in unit 22 to have a green harvest ticket hunt open to res and non res. But that is mostly dependant on factors beyond human control. If that day comes, I'll be fine with that.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Really cool hunt! I've got a future hunting partner running around the house and I can't wait for the day I can take him out in the woods. Sorry to hear about the move, we moved to town so I could finish high school, and things were never the same after that. (still OK, just different)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    not to stear this thread away any further... BUT SERIOUSLY?????????

Dux, comon, i knew you were behind on how things work, [nevermind MIke i edited myself] I sure even Mark can explain to you in understandable terms WHY subsistence regs and hunting regs are as they are...

no lets let this THREAD be a nice thread and not a managment discussion
    I'm sure I understand how subsistence and sport hunting work. I've done plenty of both. I'm also sure there are lots of Alaskans who would like to hunt sheep as a subsistence hunt. The only difference between sheep and ox is a subjective decision to make one "subsistence" and the other "trophy". I'd even venture to say, a muskox would be considered a more unique trophy than a sheep.

As for being nice, heck, Mike's a big boy, he can dish it out and he can take it. He knows I was just trying to yank his chain and he's not above doing the same.

I really am happy for his and his daughter's success! Good looking animal and good looking meat.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

It might be , Twodux, that the Muskox hunt is a much more recent hunt in units 22-23, and were started as TierII in the 90's. Around here, the Sheep have had Trophy classifycation, as they have a long history of such.

Muskox were introduced in the 1930's and have been stedily expanding in numbers and range.

When Muskox numbers are such that they become commonly available, prehaps then a 'Trophy', we may see a Guide requirement and NR hunting as well.

Just my thoughts on that.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

A 120grn bullet??? You cant kill anything with that . Congrats on a choosing a rifle that will not beat her up. I have seen kids toting a .300 WM and getting all beat up. Great job all the way around. you get an A+ is every catagory here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast