Thread: Summit lake "Tenderfoot ridge" question.

Default Summit lake "Tenderfoot ridge" question.

Hello, Im fairly new to Backcountry Boarding. Ive been doing quite a bit of research but was hoping for a little experianced local advice concerning this spot....
    I hiked up the East "left" side of the ridge and then followed a switch back until I broke out above tree line. I then basically made switch backs up the ridge line until just below the Summit. I then boarder down the ridge line, all the way back to the beginning. It was an AMAZING time to say the least. And I captured it all on my new Go Pro.. While reviewing the footage it appeared that I was basically boarding down an avalance path.
    SO are there any experianced folks that could enlighten me a bit on there experiance in this spot. From down below it appears fairly tame, especially compared to some of the sourrounding runs ive seen folks shredding up on Youtube.

The Video of my Summit lake trip. Tenderfoot ridge.

http://www.cnfaic.org/advisories/current.php

Now is not a good time to venture out if you lack experience. Especially alone.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Thanks for the heads up brother, Im aware of the current advisory and have been utilizing the CNFAIC site quite frequently. I did have a partner, but they have less experience than I do.

I'm wondering about this ridge line specifically, the general safety level of it, better routes to access it or board down it, other folks own experiences on it, Any info possible concerning it would be appreciated. thanks again.

Any angle worth making some decent turns on will slide under the right conditions. with that much known, it would be foolish for anyone to suggest that a particular place might be safe without being there and seeing first hand at that exact time. Snowpack conditions can change dramatically merely a short distance away and on a similar aspect and can change considerably in the same spot in just a short time. It would behoove anyone wishing to gain backcountry experience to get some avalanche classes under their belt and learn to negotiate avy terrain slowly and carefully in the presence experienced backcountry travellers. Learn how to evaluate snowpack conditions and understand weather influences and make wise routefinding decisions based on pertinent data rather than going somewhere that someone says might have been "great" or "safe" at any given time.

While low angles will slide under the right conditions, much steeper ones might not release under even the influence of a howitzer. You'll be limiting your experience by going where someone says is safe instead of learning proper backcountry technique. Stay safe out there and have fun.
    If anything is going to happen, it'll happen out there.

Wise words, Thoughtful reply. I'll certainly take that to heart.

The more I study it, the more I realize there is quite a science to Avalanches.