Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading club

Default Reloading club

Hi there;
    I have been an avid reloader for many years.
    I am trying to form a reloading clubroom.
    I have a dozen presses, tumblers, casting equipment...
    Dillon, Hollywood, RCBS, Powder by the ounce and every powder in stock that you could think of..., a coffee pot that never runs out a comfortable place to work...

What I want is the ultimate reloading room. If I gave you access to all the finest equipment, including things like a library of dies, Head setups, tumblers, casting gear shotgun progressives...
    Every top shelf tool you drool over but cannot possibly afford, and powder by the ounce...for working up loads...
    Would you join?
    Please contact me through PM and share your thoughts.
    I have several thousand dollars worth of gear, just mostly sitting here collecting dust..
    I could easily set up a dozen work stations outfitted with the best gear you could ever want... and provide a chance to try out anything out there for those who just want to check out the gear hands-on prior to purchase.
    I'll stock powder, primers, bullets, have rental dies, and be responsible for all upkeep, operations, repairs, inventory of cutting edge equipment...
    If you could wander into the ultimate reloaders room and play with all the toys for $30 a month or $100 a year would you do it?
    I need 50 monthly members just to cover the rent. Or 180 Annual Members at that rate. This is for a very nice, comfortable somewhere Mid-Town Anchorage facility, probably off Old Seward..
    I am ready to spring for it. I want you guys to tell me, would you join up? I will do a great job of it... and already have Hollywood Senior, Hollywood Universal, Dillon 650, RCBS Big Max, Star.. I do not have everything yet, but if there is interest.. I shall go and get.
    You want an ounce of Varget? Ok... here it is.. you want 10 Berger 55 grain HPBT 55 gr? here ya go.
    Please tell me, IM me... what you think.
    I need serious members to this, and I would love to get it going...\
    But at the moment.. I need letters of interest.
    So, first, I need a nose count. I don't know if it is viable in a M-F 6-10 and weekend all day format, I want to hear from potential members right away. I would sincerely love to make this work. Please drop a line and tell me if you either have an interest or think I am nuts. I need to hear it all.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default I'd go for a year...

It would be fun for me just for the social contacts and trading ideas and experience. I can't imagine justifiying it on an equipment basis - I have about everything I need.

If you could get some good prices on components you sell it may make a go for those that don't want to set up at home for various reasons. You might give some thought to an daily rate to capture those that want to load up a hundred rounds for hunting season - just a thought.

Hope your PM box fills up fast

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Hi there;
    I have been an avid reloader for many years.

I am trying to form a reloading clubroom.
    So, first, I need a nose count. I don't know if it is viable in a M-F 6-10 and weekend all day format, I want to hear from potential members right away. I would sincerely love to make this work. Please drop a line and tell me if you either have an interest or think I am nuts. I need to hear it all.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Is there a hang out and chew the fat price?

It could work, itís been done before even. Shooters World in Phoenix had such a room for members, they were also a huge gun store, gun smith, and indoor range. A couple times I wanted to use the room at Shooters World on my lunch but it was members only and membership was like $50 a month, too steep for me even though it included range use almost anytime.

I think it could fly in Anchorage but itís not for me personally for the following reasons. Iím too far away in the Valley, I have all the gear I need and more, I do my loading in the wee hours (loading 10mm yet tonight), and Iím distracted easy which can be a very bad thing when reloading.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hello interesed.

Would like to use a 1050 in 223 and a 1050 in 45 ACP without much set up time...or die conversion. kits

The club cost would offset the cost of 2 1050's

I have the museum of reloading presses already, Phelps Star H-woods Herter Lee 550 dillon Lyman Apex MEC RCBS etc Just no 1050's yet.

Thanks for throwing this out.

Hi Allen;
    I'm just getting the hang of the forum now.. thank you for the reply.
    Yeah, right now I probably have enough to get off the ground, one XL 650 Hollywood Universal, Hollywood Senior, Big Max, Micro Precision.. tumbler, casting equipment, etc.
    I'd have to bring in a full lineup of the good stuff to really make this work, gotta have the big 1050, gotta have 50 caliber capable stuff, and as much as I love my vintage stuff I would have to have pretty much a full lineup of the current equipment.
    It would take some time to gather up all the gear, but if I started with everything on hand.. and shoved all proceeds straight back into gear and consumables... I think it could be the the best loading room anywhere.
    I better set up next to a decent restaurant...

Yeah, the hangout is half the battle. I would need to make sure it was clean, comfortable with a river of coffee, well lit, good furniture...
    But one of the good values is hanging out with others and sharing techniques and swapping lies.
    I'm thinking about 1500 square feet.. a couple rooms for operations that don't like each other like casting/case tumbling... and the press room where powder is handled.

tvfnak;
    As I already have one business, I already know how to set up the vendors and line up good suppliers... just a new line is all..
    So I am sure I could land the club the best pricing we could see.
    I'm concerned about operating hours though, I don't know if it would be worth trying during work hours, or if I would have to keep it manned M-F, 8am-9PM and weekends... but I might be able to rope a couple members into employment..
    Ant thoughts there?

Hi Andy;
    I just got off the phone with them, they have a range, but no access to reloading gear where you could use it or try it out.
    Rates are important.. you have to make it work, but you can't murder people either. $50 I think is high just for a reloading room monthly.. obviously it would work for some. But I am going to need quite a few members..
    I guess I will see what kind of space is available and cook up some numbers.

I can see where I would have to schedule hours for machines, but I think that could be worked out.
    It wouldn't be good to have a dozen guys piled up waiting on a 1050.. and I would probably have to be a setup man, even my XL 650 has certain quirks that you get used to, but I'm sure this would all shake out.

I'm interested.......and I'm not. I'd certainly spend $30/month just to see if I can fit my reloading into something like this. Currently, I've got 2 progressives, one 'O' press, two 'C' presses and a hand press set up in my reloading room as well as two casting pots. Right now I can't think what I'd use a reloading club membership for, though it's a dam good idea!

Like I said, I'd pay to find out.

It would be good if we could do group buys on components. I recently paid $34 for 1000 CCI small pistol primers. I just saw them on line, less shipping & hazmat, for $24/1000. I'm in on Randy's powder buy for 8lbs of Win 231 and I'm paying $16/lb and change including shipping and all. I've got a can of 231 with a $30 price tag on it in my powder box! Just sayin'.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    It would be fun for me just for the social contacts and trading ideas and experience. I can't imagine justifiying it on an equipment basis - I have about everything I need.

If you could get some good prices on components you sell it may make a go for those that don't want to set up at home for various reasons. You might give some thought to an daily rate to capture those that want to load up a hundred rounds for hunting season - just a thought.

Hope your PM box fills up fast
    Well, that is a thought... but I am thinking the day thing might not be the best idea, we would run a risk on abusers, maybe not as I think most reloaders are a few cuts above average... or should I say it's a difference between renting a backhoe... or being a member with a vested interest in making sure that backhoe is going to be used with care...
    And every member, I would think you would want to gauge their skill levels... help them out.. what if they had never done any reloading? It would possibly be additional burden on my coffee drinkers if they had to wet nurse the casual transient day users.
    I enjoy training people... but there may be a good deal of demand for my time on other stuff.
    Of course, I won't rule out giving it a try.. but what I see here is developing a core group of annual members, dedicated shooters and the monthly members would pay the light bill for us guys that live there...

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I'm interested.......and I'm not. I'd certainly spend $30/month just to see if I can fit my reloading into something like this. Currently, I've got 2 progressives, one 'O' press, two 'C' presses and a hand press set up in my reloading room as well as two casting pots. Right now I can't think what I'd use a reloading club membership for, though it's a dam good idea!

Yeah.. understood completely!
    I have to think why I would ever join a club like this, but then again, I have been acquiring equipment for 20 years..no.. 35 years now.. I have more than I need.. but get more anyway.
    How could I drag a guy like you in? Hard telling.
    I think doughnuts oughta do it.
    Well... if I can hit it hard enough.. get the trap and skeet boys in here... progressive shot reloaders, maybe some of that gosh darned expensive stuff that even scares your wallet...
    I don't know. What do you think I would have to do to scare $30 a month or $100 a year out of you?
    Here's what I don't want to happen:
    I don't want to start this, do it wrong.. and crash with 20 or 30 annual members out $100.
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Is there a hang out and chew the fat price?

It could work, itís been done before even. Shooters World in Phoenix had such a room for members, they were also a huge gun store, gun smith, and indoor range. A couple times I wanted to use the room at Shooters World on my lunch but it was members only and membership was like $50 a month, too steep for me even though it included range use almost anytime.

I think it could fly in Anchorage but itís not for me personally for the following reasons. Iím too far away in the Valley, I have all the gear I need and more, I do my loading in the wee hours (loading 10mm yet tonight), and Iím distracted easy which can be a very bad thing when reloading.
    Andy,
    It looks like I might have to have some hanger-outer-chew the fat guys in here if I have to FEED them...
    That means you wold have to drink coffee and tell lies all day... it might turn into work.
    Are you up for that?

Hi Andy;
    I just got off the phone with them, they have a range, but no access to reloading gear where you could use it or try it out.
    Rates are important.. you have to make it work, but you can't murder people either. $50 I think is high just for a reloading room monthly.. obviously it would work for some. But I am going to need quite a few members..
    I guess I will see what kind of space is available and cook up some numbers.

I can see where I would have to schedule hours for machines, but I think that could be worked out.
    It wouldn't be good to have a dozen guys piled up waiting on a 1050.. and I would probably have to be a setup man, even my XL 650 has certain quirks that you get used to, but I'm sure this would all shake out.
    They changed hands in 1998 I think it was and totally changed the business model away from the club thing to a normal store front deal with a range. When they did that the reloading room, gun museum, and members lounge was turned into an indoor paint ball range that held zero interest for me . . . I did land a Dillon 550 out of that change for cheap though.

Your idea can work, didnít do so hot for them because it was a ďmembers onlyĒ perk and the range time drove the membership price way up.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post

It would be good if we could do group buys on components. I recently paid $34 for 1000 CCI small pistol primers. I just saw them on line, less shipping & hazmat, for $24/1000. I'm in on Randy's powder buy for 8lbs of Win 231 and I'm paying $16/lb and change including shipping and all. I've got a can of 231 with a $30 price tag on it in my powder box! Just sayin'.
    I'd be in $100 a year for that, the Costco of bulk reloading components would be great! And I could hang out, drink coffee, and tell lyes when I order and pick up.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy,
    It looks like I might have to have some hanger-outer-chew the fat guys in here if I have to FEED them...
    That means you wold have to drink coffee and tell lies all day... it might turn into work.
    Are you up for that?
    Na, I don't need fed, I'm too fat as it is . . . did you say donuts? What kind of donuts?? Will there be nanna-nut bread maybe? Goes so good with coffee! Iím getting hungry now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't see much for the early morning hours but you might pick up some members during the noon hour when they stop buy over lunch. I'll be in on that myself as I work in midtown. Anchorage is a rather odd town - my wife comments on all the men she she out all day when she goes shopping at Costco etc. I suspect a fair number of them are slope workers and other remote workers on rotating shifts. A lot of people get Fridays off also - you might consider longer hours then.

You might consider some classes - I think a lot of people would be interested judging from all the questions I get about reloading. when I'm at the Rabbit Creek range. They could get into reloading without dropping a bunch of money. You might even be able to rent one of the Rabbit Creek ranges and let them shoot their new reloads.

I'll keep thinking and post my ideas and thoughts for what that is worth.

tvfnak;
    As I already have one business, I already know how to set up the vendors and line up good suppliers... just a new line is all..
    So I am sure I could land the club the best pricing we could see.
    I'm concerned about operating hours though, I don't know if it would be worth trying during work hours, or if I would have to keep it manned M-F, 8am-9PM and weekends... but I might be able to rope a couple members into employment..
    Ant thoughts there?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

This is a great idea for all the reasons stated previously. It'd be a great couple hour "getaway" from the family while getting something enjoyable accomplished. I agree with not hesitating to try full business hours.

I am very interested in your idea. I do not re-load at this point and have given a lot of thought to getting into it. Unfortunately, the initial cost of the reloading equipment has kept me from jumping in. A club like this, with access to great equipment and advice, fits my needs exactly.

I live in Soldotna and get up to Anchorage several times a year and even with that travel it would work for me to join up.

Do you see a guy like me - an "out-of-towner" - come in to the club, pay a $30 monthly fee, reload and then not pay until the next time i come in? Maybe two or three times a year? Would that work for you financially or would you need a commitment to make the money part of this work out?

Great idea and thanks for offering your reloading equipment.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I suspect there are a lot of apartment dwellers in Anchorage that donít even think of reloading as an option for them because they have no room. I think these guys would be the meet and potato of an operation like this but they wonít read this here in the reloading section because they donít think they can reload so why read about reloading. You should post it over in the main shooting forum and see what you get there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Especially apartment dwellers that aren't single Andy. I know when my wife to be first came to my old apartment her first comment was," what's that", as she pointed to my butcherblock with a Rockchucker bolted to it. Oh yeah and it was proudly stationed in the kitchen, where the butcher block belongs right?

At any rate, I think the OP has a good idea with this. But I also think that it will end up with the profits being fellowship and relaxation rather than a pile of cash. Not that that's a bad thing if a guy doesn't need the money to feed himself. I would probably sign up for a while too feel it out and maybe stay on if it was enjoyable and didn't turn into the old crotchety buzzard hangout, where folks under the age of 60 are looked down. I know that's not in the plans, and I would hope it would never happen, but I've seen it before. Good luck and I hope it works, I'll be waiting to hear, with at least a monthly membership fee on the backburner to give it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast