Thread: Gas line help!!

Default Gas line help!!

HELP!!! Figure this one out. I just pulled the Scandic 440 LT snowmachine out from it's snow tomb to get ready to cut firewood. Last year I replaced two fuel lines as the other ones rotted and had holes in them. OK so I hit the primer and guess what, the new line is full of pin holes and some of the old lines are leaking too. Brand new lines one year old.

Story gets deeper. Within the past two years beside the snow machine, I have had to replace the fuel lines on the weed eater, one chainsaw and the Honda ATV. All use different gas mixtures, are filled from different cans at different times of the year.

So what is causing the fuel lines to rot??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

I'm stumped.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Never heard of such a thing.

Have any problems with the cars around there?

Some form of Alcohol in the gas? Some sort of fuel treatment sitting in the gas?

Don't know if there is any connection or not but I read an article about a month or so ago about this very thing. It stated that because of new regs. for fuel something in the new fuel could cause this problem if it set very long. The article was in the "Ogden Standard" in Ogden Ut. I went right out and drained my wheelers and gas cans. You might research it on line.

could it be cheap hose/line? what's the common factor in all this?
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I don't think alcohol as the gas is being put into the different engines at different times from different cans. It is puzzling.

Ski Doo also frowns upon you tying a rope to a F-250 and yanking the machine out of a 5 foot deep pit. I have ascertained this information from the new 2-piece bumper system I now have.

What year Skandic? I might have a bumper.

Oh, I thought it was the F-250 that was in pieces!!!!
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Just read a few articles on E10 ethanol gas. Seems I am not the only one having issues with fuel lines. Supposedly the new fuel is recking havoc with fuel lines and rubber gaskets. Have to check the local gas stations to see what they sell.

AKDoug - 2005 Scandic.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    HELP!!! Figure this one out. I just pulled the Scandic 440 LT snowmachine out from it's snow tomb to get ready to cut firewood. Last year I replaced two fuel lines as the other ones rotted and had holes in them. OK so I hit the primer and guess what, the new line is full of pin holes and some of the old lines are leaking too. Brand new lines one year old.

Story gets deeper. Within the past two years beside the snow machine, I have had to replace the fuel lines on the weed eater, one chainsaw and the Honda ATV. All use different gas mixtures, are filled from different cans at different times of the year.

So what is causing the fuel lines to rot??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

I'm stumped.
    Ethanol? Very big problem in America right now with this being forced on them. Buy an ethanol tester and see.

Get polyurethane lines.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Sorry Dave, the one I have won't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Sorry Dave, the one I have won't fit.
    Story of my life. I just never fit.

Ethanol in Alaska? That would make the news.

The only time I've had a fuel line failure it was multiple failures over time with one generator. Buying better quality fuel line solved that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

The only time I've had a fuel line failure it was multiple failures over time with one generator. Buying better quality fuel line solved that problem.
    So do you know what components make up the gas from the pump? Not required in some states.

Uncle Ted did Alaska a big favor years ago when he got us our benzene exemption amng other things. Note OP is in Valdeze so could possible be methanol.

Or then could be crappy lines....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I spend enough time stateside to know what ethanol-laced gas smells like. There's no mistaking it and Alaska gas doesn't smell like that. The old cold weather oxygenation additive used in Anchorage was MTBE. It had a distinctive smell, too. I've never heard of alcohols in Alaska gasoline supplies. I'm interested, though.

I check no ethanol in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post