Thread: Hares Bunnies Rabbits...

Default Hares Bunnies Rabbits...

Any advise on where to find these guys at this time of year? Lots of old sign around Skilak but none to be found.

Cheers.

For hare, find the thickest stuff near water you can labor through and start there. For bunnies, sneak around some neighborhoods, especially on the outskirts of Wasilla. Use a quiet gun and make sure it's 1s1k or you'll have the family pet limping back to the front door, hahaha.
    Go Big Red!

This time of year they can be really tough to find. There is plenty of snow to make little tunnels in the brush under the snow. They can stay down there for days if they feel like it. I took the wife out yesterday, but we didn't see any rabbits. All of the tracks we saw were from before the snow that morning, so i have a theory that they might not be very active on overcast days. A dog might help to flush them out, if he doesn't just flounder around in the snow.

hare can be found ALL over southcentral ak. they can be low, they can be high(in elevation). ive always seen the best numbers in areas where the foliage is THICK. you may notice when you out in about that a forest may have decent numbers of tracks, but the thicker the spruce, willows, or alders get the more sign you will see....
    good luck
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

What these guys said... on a side note Skilak late road is a primitive weapon area only if I recall correctly. I know there are restrictions to using guns between the road and the main highway... take a look in the regs so you don't get in trouble.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson