Thread: Susitna River

Default Susitna River

I'm interested in receiving any information concerning boating the upper Susitna R, specifically from Denali Highway to Watana/Tsusena Creek area. Are there any unavoidable rapids, how difficult would it be in low flows, etc. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of boat? Time of year? The water can fluctuate incredibly throughout the day. Lots of hard to read water with many sandbars right from the get go at the Denali Hwy bridge.

I too would like some info on this. My buddy drew a moose tag down river, we need to get at least to the big O. I have a 19' alum 90hp o/b jet, pretty light. Any info would be very helpful as I have never traveled this section before and would rather not find something out the hard way.....Thanks!!

Done the upper river many times with a differant boat. Very true regarding sand bars and the river changes every year. You have to find the channel. Be prepared with extra parts. Once you get out of the the wild river it narrows down and is easy to run. I have seen the river rise 3-5 feet over night (hot weather) and I have seen it drop by the same (cold weather). Not recommended running for a larger river boat such as my wooly etc.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/