Thread: Homer Halibut Mid Sept

Default Homer Halibut Mid Sept

Hey guys was hoping to get in a day of halibut fishing prior to a hunt trip. I know allot of the charters are done by mid Sept, anyone have a suggestion on a charter that may be in operation in Homer, lets say Sept 12 or 13. Thanks in advance, Dave

Call Captain Pete. He runs halibut and king charters all year long. You can catch your two halibut and then spend the afternoon trolling for feeder kings. He'd be my first call, and if he was busy I'd call Josh on the Huntress.

+ 1 for Pete. Good guy and knows the fishing out of Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...I'd call Josh on the Huntress.
    I don't think Josh is still in the business. I don't think he got a permit in 2011, I'd ask Mutt to be sure though.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Josh should be running then, and he would be my first call he has been killing the kings the last few days. Josh has been using a permit that belongs to a friend that shuts down in Aug and kills the fish when he gets back from commercial fishing. He ran more trips after Aug then some charters ran all summer because of the quality of fish he catches just look at what he did to the derby board last year!

Charterboat Operator

Ya, MGH55! From what I understand, He limited out his client's today! Boated 11 kings and kept 10!! He's chartering for King's as much as he can!!! Give him a call! You can see pic's of his daily catch on his face book page! And YES Sept is the best time to fish these water's! But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say bout opinion's. Good luck

Thanks for the inputs! I have set up a trip with Capt Pete, we will have room for a couple more people the trip is set up for Sept 12th, or 13th Pending fishable weather. Thanks Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Ya, MGH55! From what I understand, He limited out his client's today! Boated 11 kings and kept 10!! He's chartering for King's as much as he can!!! Give him a call! You can see pic's of his daily catch on his face book page! And YES Sept is the best time to fish these water's! But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say bout opinion's. Good luck
    WOW! With a catch like that he must have taken a picture. I'd love to see it!
    And Sept. is NOT necessarily the best time to fish for winter kings.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    WOW! With a catch like that he must have taken a picture. I'd love to see it!
    Apparently, and obviously, he did take photos.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Josh has been fishing a lot and doing great!! He was smart and did not let his boat get frozen in the ice and miss the best fishing for king of the year. Early this year I went with Josh and we were back before 1pm 14 kings, too bad some just can't be or don't know how to just be happy for someone that works so hard to be just that good! Anyone wanting to be better at killing the kings should pay for a charter with Josh just to learn!

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 57310Attachment 57311The 10 kings was from the 15th and the dozen was day before yesterday on the HUNTRESS!!!

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 57312Attachment 57313Feb 14th. 40lb King on the Huntress!!! Fishing for kings is as good as it gets now!!!

Beautiful, Beautiful, and the fish is nice too! That's more kings then most charters get all year in just two days. Good thing the Huntress is not stuck in the ice

Sept is great for halibut and salmon, and yes it is great king fishing you just have to know where! Last sept I had 12 halibut and 12 kings in less then 2hrs and it has been that way for years! It's all about location and ability!

Hey Nemo What is tha average weight of those kings? Just curious. Thanks

Charterboat Operator

The average weight in the last couple of trips has been Mid to High teens! Great size, One or two Jacks per trip, and two fish over 40inches so far! Now the over all bite has slowed down a little bit, but the size is still very nice, Fishing tomorrow, Friday and Sat! All keep ya posted.