Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Goat Tag

Default Kodiak Goat Tag

What would you guys quess would be an average time for a non-resident to draw a Kodiak goat tag.

Thanks

Average time? We don't have a preference point system, so there's no predicting when you might win a drawing. Take a look at the drawing supplement and see which tags have higher percentages - those are the ones that will likely speed up the process. There are some areas on Kodiak that are available via registration permit as well, meaning that you can hunt them without drawing a permit (as long as the hunt doesn't reach its quota for the year prior to your hunt).

Goat number have been on the rise the last few years and as a result, many areas that were once draw are now available to hunt with a Registration tag. Many are available online.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

the draw tags are like other said. some draw first year, and i've had guys put in for 3 or 4 times and not get a tag.
    registration areas are on the island as well but the hunts costs a bit more due to the amount of flying involved. upper half of kodiak is a cheaper flight and hunts can be had cheaper. hunting is awesome for goats just about anywhere you pull a tag for kodiak though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Are the chances about the same for non-residents and residents?

For now ;-). It is a totally random deal.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

To the O.P. - at the end of the yearly Permit Hunt Supplement (you can download it on line) it has the draw percentages for every permit hunt for the previous year. So, if you put in for 3 hunts, you add those percentages up. Draw percentages range from the low single digits up to 20 plus percent for some hunts. You should be able to draw every three years, on average, if you play the odds game right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt Alaska View Post
    Are the chances about the same for non-residents and residents?
    Odds are exactly the same. There is one draw and Res and Non-Res are in the same pool of applicants.

I'm pretty sure you already know this, but...

non-residents who hunt Mountain Goat must be accompanied in the field by a registered guide or 2nd-degree kindred relative.

Make sure you factor that into your planning.

they sure don't seem the same, last year 10 non res drew tags out of 90 permits, roughly. i'll count them again this year and see if it changes much.
    Master guide 212

If you are really interested in a goat hunt on Kodiak I believe there is a highly respected guide^^^^^(see above post) on this forum that I believe has a wealth of knowledge on goat hunting on Kodiak that could point you in the right direction....

What would you guys quess would be an average time for a non-resident to draw a Kodiak goat tag.

Thanks

As long as it takes.

Worth the cost and the wait...Good luck,, and Brwnbr on this forum is a guide that knows his Kodiak Goats,, I'm sure he can help you get on one.

Founding Member

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to start applying this year and hope I draw for next year. I have two Winchester M70 stainless rifles both with in McMillan stocks. One is 7RM and the other one in 338 Win Mag. Which rifle would you take to Kodiak for this hunt? I have hunted a good bit with both rifles and am confident with both. Sitd2677 If you have a gear list for your hunt I sure would like to have a copy along with any changes in gear you would have made after the hunt.

whichever gun is lighter is the gun i'd take....easy question. if your good shootin' with either, ammo for one might be lighter, gun might be lighter. if they weight same i'd go with the .338, goats can be tough.
    Master guide 212

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to start applying this year and hope I draw for next year. I have two Winchester M70 stainless rifles both with in McMillan stocks. One is 7RM and the other one in 338 Win Mag. Which rifle would you take to Kodiak for this hunt? I have hunted a good bit with both rifles and am confident with both. Sitd2677 If you have a gear list for your hunt I sure would like to have a copy along with any changes in gear you would have made after the hunt.
    Will send you a list, have a few things to do first, but will try to get it to you in a day or 2.

Check out this thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...vac?highlight=
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    So, if you put in for 3 hunts, you add those percentages up. Draw percentages range from the low single digits up to 20 plus percent for some hunts. You should be able to draw every three years, on average, if you play the odds game right.
    It doesn't quite add up that way, but the general idea is close. You could put in for three hunts that each had a 50% draw percentage and you still wouldn't be guaranteed to get any of the three. You would still have just a 1 in 2 chance of getting that third option if you missed out on the first two. It just increases the number of times you get to "play the odds".

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Will send you a list, have a few things to do first, but will try to get it to you in a day or 2.

Check out this thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...vac?highlight=
    That thread was quite a read. I am glad you guys kept a cool head and it turned out OK. Becca sounds like one tough lady.

That thread was quite a read. I am glad you guys kept a cool head and it turned out OK. Becca sounds like one tough lady.
    Indeed she is. Rumor mill has it she's heading back to Kodiak this year to get some revenge on the goats down there.

I enjoyed(?) rereading that thread also, actually cringing at some of it,

you guys really pulled that off well tho, beginning to end, what a story,
    and I still must say it again, posting it all online, with detail like that,....

Really Commendable,...!! for the learning experience, everyone else gets to pick up on and benefit from

Sooo, easy to have that happen, as it did to you three,....
    but the keeping it together part, Wow

Here's to Becca, taking a Fine Animal on Kodiak, Soon,...
    or maybe even several fine critters

(as for that Luke guy, geez, don't carry such heavy packs man,....take more trips, you're scarin' me, just thinking of your leg joints,...crumbly ground, etc.,..... take caaaaaarrre)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast