Thread: Proper way to winterize 454 crusaders

Default Proper way to winterize 454 crusaders

Had a stuck valve after storing for the winter. Any suggestions to keep it from happening again?

did you fog it before storage?

Add marvel mistery oil to your oil and run RV antifreeze through your R/W cooling side about 4gal and when you are pumping in the last gal dump marvel mistery oil in the carb use about a pint if it doesn't kill the engin turn it off. Done have a beer and count the days till fishing starts.

It seems a little late to be worrying about winterizing you engine.

Your post title says winterize 454 crusaders... do you mean plural? Usually a twin engine setup is in inboards vs. sterndrive setups, and those are usually mounted under decks and under the wheelhouse.

We have a 31' Uniflite that we don't winterize, but instead have access to shorepower and keep a heater set on low in the engine room. Above freezing, no problem (even 1 degree above).

More important though is it is usually sterndrive engines that are in a doghouse engine box that is effectively open to the weather and those definately need to be winterized (fogging oil is all that is needed).

Just important if you do not have access to electricity for heat, in addition to fogging oil is to remove the carb (and tape up open intake) and to make sure that there is no moisture in the engine room because it wil condense on the engine and cause rust on bolts and the engine paint to peel.

Sobie2

i left that new carb you bought on the 27' 2 years ago and last year i had to have it remaned. water in the bowels never good. i will pull it off from now on.

That was a brand new carb when you bought it!!! It replaced the other one whic I left on the motor through the winter and that one got a whole lot of crystals on it and was toast.

Oh well, lessons learned.

Sobie2