Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: koyukuk prop or jet?

Default koyukuk prop or jet?

planning on buying a boat to hunt koyukuk. Prop or Jet?

Quote Originally Posted by walssj View Post
    planning on buying a boat to hunt koyukuk. Prop or Jet?
    I have seen both there, most locals use a prop. The most efficient way is to use a prop to haul the heavy loads required to get there and back. ie... fuel on the way there and moose meat on the way home. Once in the hunting area folks either hunt the main channels if they have a prop boat or some set camp and change out the prop lower unit for a jet or bring a small boat and hunt from a base camp.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What Stid said. Make sure to bring spare props, its better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have em.

I think that the perfect set up for that area is a 21-24' flatter bottomed boat with at least a 150hp outboard on a lift system so you can switch between prop and jet.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I think that the perfect set up for that area is a 21-24' flatter bottomed boat with at least a 150hp outboard on a lift system so you can switch between prop and jet.
    I agree,,,

Founding Member

No need to even carry a jet ... heck the barge runs up the Koyukuk to Huges and beyond. Bring spare props for the potential of dinging one up on the river. Basically he Koyukuk has one real rocky spot and that is near the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by highlife View Post
    No need to even carry a jet ... heck the barge runs up the Koyukuk to Huges and beyond. Bring spare props for the potential of dinging one up on the river. Basically he Koyukuk has one real rocky spot and that is near the mouth.
    I agree to some extent. No need for a jet on the Koyukuk, but they come in very handy when running up the tributaries.
    That's one sweet setup ya got there Steve.

Jets are usually not needed but you will hit the mud more times than you can count with the prop if you get off the Koyukuk. If you get stuck or rip a $400 stainless prop then you wished you had a jet. But props use a lot less fuel. You pays your money and you take your chances.

I only have three Koyukuk trips under my belt but if I were building a boat today for running up the Koyukuk for moose hunting I would go for a 25 foot wide semi vee boat with bottom thickness of no more than 3/16's. It would have a 8 or 10 hp kicker on it and the main power would be a 250 hp outboard prop but I would have a jet unit for it and switch it out when needed. Lightweight aluminum roof with a drop down curtain to keep the heat in and the noise and rain out.

If there was two boats in the group one can run the prop the entire time provided the other boat was a nice size sport jet. Park the prop in camp and hunt out of the sport jet.

I have been fond of the jet boat for the Koyukuk runs. Made the trip 14 times so far in this rig. It looks a lot different now than it did on the first trip but keeps on ticking. Hauled a minimum of 2 moose all the way back every trip. Lot less worries making it a more relaxing trip down and back without the prop hanging below. Nothing wrong with the props but old habits are hard to break and I grew up with the jet.

An old archive video of packing a moose on the Koyukuk - might be tough to do with a prop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS4bV9NeCMI

I use a prop...

Prop or Jet i like the prop myself but there is times that a jet would be nice. If i could use a prop to get there and back would be best and a differant smaller jet boat for hunting the lower water like Three day. I run my 26' hewescraft on that trip and carry a inflatable once we get there. Fuel is high and you will burn much more than i will in my Hewes with twins and you on a jet and will not be able to carry the extra weight. Perfect would be a 24' w/ 150hp, two guys max, and one moose, min gear.
    You are better off getting a prop w an extra prop to spare. Fuel and moose weight is always the problem when doing that trip.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

My partner has a 18' Lowe tunnel jon boat with a 4StrokeYam W/Prop/Jet. I see we can get moose flown out of Galena so will this set up work for this year? There will be bigger boats going with the cook tent/main camp so our gear will be minimal. I drew Tustumena Moose but all the info i have gathered for that hunt Depressing!

That would be a 90 hp 4 stroke with prop/jet. I am trying to estimate how many gallons we need to cary to get to huslia area and hunt. Prop to get there and back with jet to hunt from. The boats we are going with are 24 & 25 foot jets with 300 gallons of fuel. Any suggestions?

300 gallons of gas for the big boats? Have they made the run before? What motors are they running?

On an average i have burned 500 to 525 gals on this trip from the bridge to the Dubli River and spend about 15 days on the river. That is a round trip average with my boat 26' hewescraft with twin 115hp. The Jets will burn about the same in a smaller boat weighted down. There are a couple guys on here that could give you a better average on the jets than i can. 18' would be a great boat once you get in there and start hunting the lower water and once you. You will find that the 18' will get better mileage then the jets and you should be able to carry extra fuel to get in there.
    I would start figuring out how much weight you can carry and do a MPG average after break up. Keep in mind that going up and down stream are factors. Does your 18' have a canopy of some sorts? If not it will be a long, long trip for you.
    Last edited by sweepint; 02-22-2012 at 22:23. Reason: spelling

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

We burned 550 gals from the bridge to our hunting area above 3 day. Also burnt 11 gallons of 2 cycle oil. We left Galena with 195 gallons and returned with 15 gallons. Take extra fuel filters and watch for water, we had a lot of water in the gas we bought in Galena. We ran a 200 hp sportjet.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by walssj View Post
    That would be a 90 hp 4 stroke with prop/jet. I am trying to estimate how many gallons we need to cary to get to huslia area and hunt. Prop to get there and back with jet to hunt from. The boats we are going with are 24 & 25 foot jets with 300 gallons of fuel. Any suggestions?
    For estimation sake figure 525 miles to Huslia from the bridge, or 225 miles from Galena - Most of the land around Huslia starting roughly 40 miles below Huslia on the river is private property and closed to hunting by the Native Corporation. You can keep on going and get back into open hunting in areas but it is more miles, you can also hunt below the high water mark on the main river in these areas. Experience tells me if you choose to hunt the river in the posted areas you will not be to welcomed by the locals.

When you make it to that area you have just traveled roughly 140 miles through some of the best moose hunting there is to get there. On the way up mark the areas you saw the big ones on a map and you can come back down to hunt them later.

As far as the size of boat goes you see every size on the river but the water can get really rough on the Yukon with the wrong weather pattern - There is a 30 mile straight stretch above Galena where the wind can blow up river against the current and create some interesting wave action stacking really big swells really close together - I had one change your underwear moment out there where I got into water so nasty I wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be. Not usually a problem just remember it is a big body of water and can get nasty.

Fuel consumption is all relative to the load in the boat - Like Sweepint said - load it up and start calculating your burn rate then figure the burn rate for each leg of the trip based on the load in the boat and direction of the current.

Great trip and lots of fun planning.

So with a 150 Yamaha jet on my 24' SeaArk I burned about 500 gal from the bridge to past upper 3day. What the others are saying is all great advice. I water tested my boat prior to the trip 4 times and still was a little nervous. With my setup and jet I burned 11 gal and hour. If I had a prop it would have been in the 6 to 7 gals per hour range and I could have added another 2k pounds to my load.

IMO the perfect setup would be to use a prop to your hunting grounds and then switch to jet. (Again this is perfect setup.) but for me to add a prop to my configuration would have cost me another 4.5 to 5 grand to my hunt so I opted to just use my jet and work within my limitations, which I did and it worked out just great.

Another member also did the trip with a similar size boat but with a 140 prop and I think they burned 300 gal total, plus he hauled his 2 moose out while I flew my 2 back to anchorage. And as noted, if you don't have a top... you won't enjoy the trip. Besides that just know your burn rate at full load capacity because you'll be running at almost full load the entire trip.

Do your homework, and do it 2 more times just to make sure and you'll have one of the best hunting experiences of your life. Not doing your homework and you'll hate yourself. Oh yeah one more thing. Cash, bring lots of it... Past Tanana, no credit or checks allowed. 😳.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    For estimation sake figure 525 miles to Huslia from the bridge, or 225 miles from Galena -
    Thanks for the posting the miles. I assume these are GPS river miles from the Yukon bridge. We went 363 miles up to the little mud this year using 220 gallons round trip in a jet leaving from Tananna. How many miles is it from the Yukon bridge to Tananna? From Nenanna it's 168 miles, or 65 miles from Manelly for planning purpose if anyone wanted to start from either of these locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Thanks for the posting the miles. I assume these are GPS river miles from the Yukon bridge. We went 363 miles up to the little mud this year using 220 gallons round trip in a jet leaving from Tananna. How many miles is it from the Yukon bridge to Tananna? From Nenanna it's 168 miles, or 65 miles from Manelly for planning purpose if anyone wanted to start from either of these locations.
    No on the assumption - the miles were calculated with a piece of string and a whole lot of 1 inch Topo maps before the current GPS format was in favor. I have checked several of my original estimates since then and have been amazed by how accurate I was with the method.

My logs show 123 miles from the bridge to Tanana. On my last down river trip I left with 465 gallons of fuel, traveled 1008 GPS miles, and returned carrying 2 medium bulls and had 65 gallons left. Had the bulls been bigger I would have used more of that 65 gallons. I also met my pre-trip goal of not buying fuel along the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast