Thread: 13' Sotar w/rowing frame vs 13' Alaska Series raft w/15HP

Default 13' Sotar w/rowing frame vs 13' Alaska Series raft w/15HP

As mentioned in an earlier post, we(2 people) are going to be floating the Tikchick for moose/caribou.
    We have the option of renting a 13' sotar raft with a rowing frame or a 13' Alaska series raft with a 15HP motor.
    Based on past experience which would you use for the trip? and why?

A SOTAR will be lighter and stiffer. In my oppion Sotar is a much better raft. Sotar is made in the USA and Alaska series is not. I would rent the Sotar unless it's much cheaper for the Alaska Series raft. Are you planning on having 2 people and game meat in a 13 foot raft? Is it self bailing or not?

Yes, 2 people & meat.
    Yes, it is self bailing.

That's quite a load if you get a couple caribou and a moose, you might want to look at 2 rafts or a raft and inflatable canoe. Every raft has different load capcity, for example the stated load capacity of 13' aire self bailing E series is 1126 lbs. This is 2 people, camp and maybe 2 caribou. Add a moose you are way over the loading capacity of the raft.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

What size raft for 2 people and 2 moose plus gear? Dont want to Hijack this thread, but its a related question.

Quote Originally Posted by #1duck View Post
    What size raft for 2 people and 2 moose plus gear? Dont want to Hijack this thread, but its a related question.
    Depends. I have done moose hunts with myself and another guy for 10 days in a 12' raft. We got 1 moose and I dont know where we would have put another. It was a smaller river so a 12'er was perfect and a 14'er would have been almost to big. With that said I would much rather take a 16' raft for 2 people and possibly 2 moose if the water was big enough and we had enough room in the plane.

As for the original question. I would prefer the raft with the rowing frame because of the weight issue. Gas, motor, and a raft with floor weigh about 200# more than a standard raft with frame. 200# might mean one more flight which means more $$.

Besides, a raft with 2 guys and 2 moose heading downstream isnt going to get you but a couple of mile an hour faster than the current and I doubt you could make any headway up river with just 1 moose.

This is an intersting thread. Going to AK could you expand a little on exactly your plan of action is going to be i.e. does the location your hunting require a motor for the attemtped style of hunting i.e. motoring up and down river or do you have a large open lake crossing. I am siding with AKHUNTER on your limited choices and although SOTAR and Mr. Kings boats are proven if in fact you harvest one moose or two or one moose and a caribou you will have limited load capacity and room for you gear, animals and your -self when combined with gear. Most renters I deal with have the same issues which is how many people and meat can I get into a raft or cataraft and still meet my weight versus flights in an out = money and logistics. Normally if a hunt is fortunate enough to have two people both harvest let's say moose on a hunt on a average river let's say the Salcha I would tell them something in the 15ft range. If flying out I might tell them yes a 14ft raft would work but they should have some form of inflatable Canoe as a back up in case a 2nd animal is harvested. Last time I floated a certain river in Unit 20A we took a 15ft round boat and a inflatable canoe just in case.

Without rambling to much more IMO you may not have enough room for two people, gear and two moose or one moose and bou in a 12 or 13ft raft depending on your choice of rivers and amount of gear you plan on taking.

Best of luck.

BMR

The 13 foot Sotar would be ok for two of you and two caribou. Make sure who ever is renting the boat to you that they have cargo floor nets to keep your gear, meat and capes off the bottom. Also have nets for over the top of the load because you are going to stack everything HIGH. Make sure you are using coolers or cargo boxes fore and aft for seats so that you may store your food and some gear. It makes getting lunch & snacks out easy as you float.

Always take your gear including your cooler/cargo box seats out of the raft each night. Don't get food or fish on your raft at all. Bears....

Better yet tell your air charter you've made other arrangements for a raft. Their choice for two moose isn't wise for two people and all their gear. Buy as many of the Raft hunting books as you can, read the raft hunting threads on this site, buy their books. I've been rafting for 30-years and I still refer to them at times because they are full of good lists, suggestions and facts based on actual experience. They are worth owning. Get good maps of the area for yourself.

I have a 14' Achilles raft w/no self bailing floor. Its a cork and will carry a tremendous load but is a pain to pack and unpack each day with lots of meat. I like it for 1 x 1 brown bear/black bear hunts and 2 x 1 fishing float trips. Nothing more.

For 2-moose and 2-caribou go to Alaska Raft & Kayak or similar pros. My suggestion based on lots of experience is to rent an 18 foot NRS pontoon raft (if the water will handle the larger craft). Get the soft floor fore & aft cargo package. Buy a couple hard plastic 4' sleds to hold your meat and capes in game bags wraped in tarps like a burrito to keep blood off your raft...bears. Unload the raft & meat each evening and hang it or pile it on brush or large rocks with a tarp tent over the top. You don't want dew or rain on your meat.

Arrive in ANC one day early specifically to go over constructing the raft frame with the pros at the rental shop. It could take an hour or two to put the frame together. Practice will help. If you are coming all the way up here to go moose hunting you should use the right boat for what you want to do. The pieces and parts to the 18 footer include a rowing frame and 2 inflatable pontoons Each part and piece of the larger raft is much lighter than the single 13' self-bailer (which is a Sotar and arguably the best made pro-class raft to be had). Just my 2 cents. The inflatable canoe idea is also a good one but you will need to rent that too. Make arrangements to rent anything for next fall NOW.

Great stuff guys, thanks!
    We were thinking that if we had a motor we would have the ability to travel up stream from our base camp vs. trying to row.
    But it seems like the 13' Sotar would handle more weight...we were told #2000lbs.
    What is considered a small river?

I think the 2000 pounds is quite a stretch. I would think a 1400 pound capcity is about as much as you want to push it. Anything additional you are going to have a bear of a time both space wise and rowing wise. If you really think it's a possibility for a second moose I would look at getting an inflatable canoe of some sort. A 2000 pound capacity is what you get out of a 15 or 16 foot boat.

Going to AK,
    Check your PM's. If you want to chat,I'm just down the road from you right now and may be able to help you w/ some of your ?'s. Heading back North next week.
    Kerry