Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell us a story of something you found or saw odd out in the wilds!

Thumbs up Tell us a story of something you found or saw odd out in the wilds!

I am always interested in hearing about stuff found in the woods, experienced or spotted. Tell us your story here from the wilds of Alaska. I really want to start a great long thread on this one! Insert finds, bigfoot stories and the like here! Pictures would be great to share too!

I found a rocket in the forest near Tok. It looked like something that you would fire off of a military helicopter. The part that goes boom was missing and all that was there was the tube (about a yard long), fins, and engine portion. I was simply walking along and stepped on it in the moss. It was completely covered and I would not have found it if I had not stepped on that one spot in that entire forest.

Sorry no pictures but it is on the wall at the Tok Area State Forestry office. I used to work there and there was a collection of stuff that people had stumbled upon over the years put up on the wall. Quite a few old rusted up rifles found out in the middle of nowhere leaning up against a tree or just laying on the ground. No signs of the hunter probably left it there - wonder what happened to them.

Unhappy Too late . . .

When we lived in rural, East Texas, one of my shop windows looked out over a long stretch of field with a line of barbwire fence running the length of the field, straight away from the shop. One day, I noticed, far down the fence line, something on the wire, and, a week or so later, since whatever it was was still there, walked down to investigate.

It was a Great Horned Owl, wings outspread, with each wing pinioned at the wrist joint on a barb in the barbwire fence.

The owl must have been cruising the field or diving for a mouse, just at the precise height of the top wire, hit the wire, and was essentially crucified, hanging there helplessly while it starved to death.

I don't know how long the bird had been there when I first noticed it . . maybe a day, maybe longer, but I've always regretted not investigating right away . . perhaps the owl could have been freed.

This is a rural East Texas tale also. Pittsburg, Tx to be exact. I was 11 years old and was out in the woods squirrel hunting with my Grandfather when we got to the edge of his neighbors pasture. We were about to go over the fence when a buck white-tail jumped the fence about 15 yards away from us. We watched as the buck ran straight toward the neighbor's Santa Gertrudis bull. Unbelievably the buck actually attacked the huge bull. The fight only lasted about 3 minutes before the poor rut crazed buck was stopped into a muddy spot. I remember my Grandfather telling me " Boy, Don't ever let women make you that crazy."

Can someone Link to the thread already started about this ... please.. Im at work and dont have time to search..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    Can someone Link to the thread already started about this ... please.. Im at work and dont have time to search..
    I remember the thread, but I never replied to it and I can't remember the title to search for it. I tried when the OP first posted.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

It was a hot July day with the sun beating incessantly through a breezeless sky. I was at the far end of Tustumena Lake enjoying the aloneness of my surroundings, the water surface shimmering in the quiet stillness. There was no gentle caressing of waves upon the gravelly shore, no relief from the heat of the day as normally witnessed by casual swaying trees. Smoldering heat and lack of motion ruled and would not budge off their throne. From a respectable distance, maybe eight miles or so, I heard the faint bumble bee sound of an outboard motor humming its way merrily up the lake breaking the silence of the moment. Before long a young couple I didnít know pulled into the bay, landed at my beach and like hundreds of times before I met someones acquaintance and showed them around the place. After a while they bid farewell and journeyed a very short distance up the lake to the point of land that juts into Tustumena defining the North end of Sawmill Bay. They decided to stay near the old Andrew Berg cabin and that is where they made camp. Now this is within easy eyesight of my cabin and though I tend to mind my own business I couldnít help but notice later that day the young couple had decided to make this a nudist campout. They were just as naked as they wanted to be down the beach from me and didnít seem to mind their temporary neighbor. This is odd by the fact this the only time I have ever seen nude campers in the Alaska wilderness frolicing without a care in the world, no doubt very grateful for the lack of mosquitos that season. For myself I was pleased at regaining the quiet sounds of no engines running, the visual beauty of green against blue and the serenity of quasi-aloneness.

We were trolling for king salmon out of Haines two years ago in mid May. After two hours of trolling and nothing happening I looked to the shoreline and spotted what looked like big foot! This big hairy looking mammal was right there on the beach bending over. Upon closer inspection I realized what my eyes were seeing. It was a 6'4 hairy 300 lb nudist male bending over and I was looking straight at his hairy arse!! I spit my beer out all over the floor of the boat. Two minutes later his hot, blonde, naked girlfriend walked out on the beach and relieved the pain.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

My son and I were enjoying that 2nd cup of coffee after a good supper, On an island just off the main channel of the Big Su (somewhere between Cook Inlet and Talkeetna) When we heard a Hover craft coming our way. The driver let a couple "hunters" out across the channel from us and then took off back upriver. As the whine of the hovercraft is quickly fading, all of a sudden we heard the grunting of a moose bull, sounding close and coming our way. My son who is reasonably accomplished at calling, started working the bull in an attempt to bring him in close enough to see. Unfortunately, it was getting dark fast, and I always felt that the bull saw or sensed us before we got a look at him. We tried for 2 days to get another response out of him but no such luck. (3 days later I lucked out and dropped a beautiful spike). I had often heard of the weird sounds a rutting moose would respond to but that was the first time I witnessed one responding to the whine of a hoover-craft.

Nothing that belongs on Ripley's Believe it or Not, but a set of full curl + sheep horns this past summer. Made me very happy!

"Crrruck, crrruck, crrruck !"

The sound echoed in the bay as I shuttled my gear from the skiff up to the cabin and then set about securing the boat before the afternoon winds picked up off the glacier. Crrruck, crrruck, crrruck ! Being as it was summer I figured something was dead down the beach at the merciless fury of a brown bear. Crrruck, crrruck, crrruck ! the raven sounded again up in the treetops which clued me the bear was still there. If it was a kill site and the bear had wandered off the birds are on the ground.

Maybe Iíll go down there and have a look I thought to myself when my chores are done. Crrruck, crrruck, crrruck ! Well maybe not. No need to pressure a bear on its kill in dense forest just off the shoreline, itíll be on its way eventually then Iíll go look.

Crrruck, crrruck, crrruck ! It was non-stop and insistent sounding. Not a pleasant call at all, and though I can interact with most of Godís creatures amiably enough it was starting to get on my nerves with the constant noise. I wanted the quiet back that is hallmark of this remote bay, the serenity and peace that I came here for. Crrruck, crrruck, crrruck it went again ! I opened the screen door and shouted "Shut up down there !" To which my reasoned plea received a crrruck, crrruck, crrruck ! Oh well...

It was the next day, mid morning, when the raven flew from its calling perch and landed in a tree top nearby. Crrruck, crrruck crrruck ! It waited a while, not in a hurry to fly and seemed to be glancing back down the beach where it came from. I couldnít see what it saw from my vantage point. Seemingly satisfied about something it flew further down the beach heading up towards Indian Creek where it landed in another treetop. Crrruck, crrruck, crrruck !

A fattened brown bear slowly sauntered down the shore into my field of view from the cabin porch heading back towards Indian Creek where the red salmon run was in full swing and his buddies where hanging out. Crrruck, crrruck crrruck ! It was then that I realized the relationship between this particular raven and bear. The raven had adopted this one bear to be the food provider and no one else and when it had wandered off to rest for a couple of days the raven spoke to the bear crrruck, crrruck, crrruck !

"arise and head back to Indian creek and catch us some salmon"

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-chatter !" rang fearfully throughout the forest just barely within earshot. It was quite a distance aways but the sound was different somehow than a normal squirrel noise. It had the sound of frightful apprehension. Then it was quiet, absolutely no sound from the squirrel for a few moments and then "ch-ch-ch-ch-chatter" came again, this time with a tone of admonishment, but there was still great fear underlying in the chastising. I was to learn that last chatter was an announcement of danger passed but an announcement to who and of what ?

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-chatter" rang fearfully throughout the forest again, this time a different squirrel. Still a ways off but closer to me than the last. Then the same quiet, and a few moments later the chattering of frightful admonishment, as if an unsure victory had been won.

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-chatter" rang fearfully throughout the forest again, this time quite close. It was the third squirrel, which is the confirmation of a bear travelling through the woods. This time the bear was close and as the squirrel became quiet so did all the other creatures that I could hear. The birds were silent until the monarch of the mountains passed, they were eager to avoid the life and death drama of the forest by giving themselves away.

The first time I noticed this I wasn't sure if what I thought happened actually did. I questioned my interpretation of the events. So I decided I would listen for it as the bears continued to come off the mountain that spring. Sure enough it happened again and again, the bears passing through for confirmation each time it happened. Now I know it for a fact. The squirrels taught me they warn each other in succession of impending danger and communicate to man with an ear to listen the presence, location and travelling direction of an approaching bear.

A hawk's dinner.

"Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Default Pretty unusual . . .

It's in Japanese, but you don't need to understand the words . . about three minutes worth . .

A few of you guys have probably done this too, but I always found it interesting that once I found both moose sheds laying there, one right on top of the other.....

Winter was beginning to loosen its icy grip as the days grew longer. Sunlight glanced across frozen Tustumena Lake and snow crystals reflected a perfect white light. A bright white light, almost blinding and caused you to squint if you looked too long. It was the kind of day that made you think of summer days to come even though it was still cold.

The wolf pack appeared up at the point NE of me. They were silent and showed caution bunching together. They knew I was there the smoke from the woodstove rolled over and wafted into the bay. The unmistakeable presence of man in the smell of fire. Eventually a lone wolf edged out of the group and slowly paced herself to the middle of the bay and laid down on the ice. She was probably about a hundred yards away and straight out from the cabin window. So I watched.

She laid there for two hours with only an occasional howling cry always looking back down the lake and never glanced at me once. She ignored me. Sometimes she would stand up and then she would lay down again her head down on her paws at times, but never sleeping...always looking. She seemed to waiting for something. And then finally as if a silent decision had been made she got up with determination and trotted back to the pack and I never saw her or them again.

Later that week the trappers were up to the far end of the lake running their line and I related the story of the wolf. It was then I found out they had caught one in their trap back in the direction she had been looking. She had been waiting for this wolf to come, and though I will never know if it was her mate or offspring I will always remember how she mourned the loss.

tustumena.jpg

Great narrative, Tusty; keep 'em comin'!
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

It was a cool night so I fired up the wood stove a few hours before turning in and went outside for a walk about. Eventually I made my way back near dusk and whoa ! it was way hot in there. Too hot for me ! So I choked the stove down and added some fresh aluminum foil for a makeshift gasket on the barrel stove door to seal it up like an airtight. The airflow now down to a trickle from a roar, I headed back outside leaving the door propped open to cool the cabin down some. I knew it would be dark soon so I lit a candle and set it by the window.

tustumena3.JPG

Standing down by the waters edge, the sun setting, I noticed a lot of activity in the air above me. The sky was filled with bats swooping and diving no doubt feeding on whatever bugs they could find still in the air. I watched them for a while impressed at their flying abilities and speed and wondered if they would run into me unaware. I thought about where they lived most of the time. I don't see bats that often or this many so where do they go ? Did they have a secret cave in the mountains I didn't know about ?

Heading back in I spied a flurry of activity at the window ! One of the bats had somehow found my front door open and flew in ! I guess I'm just lucky that way. So I set about thinking of a way to get the bat out of my cabin. My first instinct was to grab the broom and just sort of flick it towards the open door thinking it would fly out. All that got me was a scared bat that you couldn't peel off the window with an ice scraper. So....I was concerned with the bats fear and I didn't want to injure it, the broom idea became infamous history.

I sat on the bed and considered my options. Hmm...well it is awfully late and I am kinda tired I could just close the door and deal with it in the morning. Then I realized that I could never, ever tell anyone I actually made a conscious decision to sleep with a bat in a 12X18 foot cabin. It could be injurious to my reputation. Besides I don't know that much about bats. What if they are heat seeking critters that find my sleeping bag a good place to hang out in the middle of the night.

The bat had to go so I devised a master plan to fire up the Coleman lantern and hang it outside on the porch with the light shining through the doorway. Maybe that would attract the bat !?! So either from the glowing light or the hissing sound of the lantern enticing it, a few minutes after blowing out the candle the bat flew out the door ! and another Tustumena day was through.

tustumena.JPG

Tustumena, I always love yor posts and pictures!

Tusty, You sure have a way with words, always a good read. Do you know Woody and Audrey that live out on the lake?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast