Thread: Single Person Inflatable Pontoon Boats

Back in Eagle River - For good this time!

Default Single Person Inflatable Pontoon Boats

Looking for inputs/advice on single person inflatable pontoon boats. Looking to purchase one this spring and any information and opinions, good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Have been looking primarily at the pontoons from Outcast. I'm a larger guy so weight capacity is a big consideration. Thanks in advance for your replies.

ER Rogue

I had one that I got from Cabelas called the Columbia I think. Was a great boat but they are heavy, I think all together it weighed 70lbs. I sold it just got an Alpacka explorer. The single man cataraft is fun in the water but very difficult to fish from and too cumbersome for anything that is far from road access.

Steve

I have a outcast pac 10 & its a great raft.The only thing i dont like are the saddle bags,2 small.I ordered the xl splash proof bags & now it's all good.

I have the outcast Power Drifter. I love it. Very good for the bigger guy.

I grew up in Creek Company boats, have had a couple of outcasts, but I picked up one of Dave Scadden's outlaw rampage's a few years back, and it is (so far) a far superior boat. The frameless design is just as rigid as any of the framed systems I have rowed, and to be able to be on the water in less than 15 minutes, from the trunk of a car is awesome. The only complaint I've had, is that I literally had to threaten to show up at the sportsmans show and drop the boat at his feet to get the warranty honored. He's usually willing to cut you a smoking deal at the sportsman show. I have 3 other boats ranging from the Rampage (10'6") to a 16' with 27" tubes, they all have been used for white water and fishing, and the Rampage gets by far more river time every year than any of the others.
    I weighed about 280 last year, and took this boat on several mulit day trips fully loaded with about 200 pounds of gear and was able to drift fish (with float tube fins),without any real change in how much it drafts.
    But the decision to what you buy should come down to what you're going to use it for, most guys up here are using their boats to get from hole to hole on the Kenai, if that was all I'd be using it for, I'd buy one of the boats at Costco for $300. If you want to hunt, and go on multi day trips, go with the Outcast or one of Scadden's boat's. If you ever want to check one out, shoot me a pm, I'll let you row it.

I agree with the outcast. I have the 9 foot model and it has been a champ. Amazing single day fishing boat and super sweet for extended solos. I have done 4-6 day trips no problem. Large gear deck, nice rod holder attachments (a must), tracks very straight and can be portaged very easily. Also on their upper end models there is a 10 year NO FAULT warranty which gives you peace of mind. Below are a couple pics from various rivers showing my set-up for extended trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle River Rogue View Post
    Looking for inputs/advice on single person inflatable pontoon boats. Looking to purchase one this spring and any information and opinions, good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Have been looking primarily at the pontoons from Outcast. I'm a larger guy so weight capacity is a big consideration. Thanks in advance for your replies.

ER Rogue
    Hello ER-R

Couple things to consider...

What waters do you see yourself mostly floating, yet also occasionally you may find yourself running?

What would be primary use (like day-tripping w/ fishing), however could you also see yourself out on multi-day ventures (supported or unsupported by other rafts, boaters, etc.)?

What would be your most common means of accessing the majority of floats, and may also there at some time be hiking (short or long treks) in to flying in?

Would you ever motor around?

Could you ever see stretching the payload to bring along or rescue aboard an extra person in a pinch?

Performance features of importance like stability, speed, handling, shallow draft, wave punching ability... quality of components/accessories?

General price of package --- what's minimum to a general max... can address quality with this as well.

Really quite a bit to answer... but this will help me point ya (or others w/ similar inquiry) in a first class direction.

Brian