Thread: Transporting small 4 stroke in back of truck -

Default Transporting small 4 stroke in back of truck -

My family camps for about two months during the summer. Set up is Grumman sportboat on top of truck pulling camper. I would like to take along a small four stroke with us, concern is motor riding in the back of the truck for a period of time. Motor would be placed on correct side.

My question is what problems have you experienced transporting a motor this way? I want the reliabilty of being able to slap in on the sportboat and go. How tempermental are four strokes in the 3-5hp range to being laid on their sides? I'm leaning to Yamaha, Honda.

Thanks,

John

I have travelled with my 20hp honda on its side many times,no issues at all.I also have done it with my 6hp merc.as long as its on the correct side, you shouldn't have any issues

I have had no problem with my 3 1/2hp merc on its side.If I had room in my bed I would mount it in normal tilted up position clamped two a two foot piece of 2X12.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks -

Sounds like it's a non issue.

John

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    I have travelled with my 20hp honda on its side many times,no issues at all.I also have done it with my 6hp merc.as long as its on the correct side, you shouldn't have any issues
    Ok, I don't know which side the the "correct side". Mind telling me, I don't haul my 8hp very often, but would like to know.

Thanks

oil fill plug up for most of the ENG. I think this is so oil stayes out of the cil. so it won't lock up,

I've kept a Tohatsu 9.8 on the tiller side with no isssus. But, when I added a stingray, it didn't matter if it was laying on the tiller side, it leaked oil into the cylinders and out of the exhaust. This was because the stingray wouldn't allow the motor to lay tilted downward. I recommend bolting a home-made motor mount to your truck bed, and keeping it bolted to that. Don't matter where, make a mount wherever you'd like. This also help keep it from being stolen because you can lock it to the mount. Keeps the cowlings from getting scratched up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    oil fill plug up for most of the ENG. I think this is so oil stayes out of the cil. so it won't lock up,
    Thanks Sid, didn't know that. One of my buddies said his brother stored an outboard on its side in the garage and it locked up?? Don't really know what happened but he always stored upright after that.

just mount it on the tailgate of the pickup and fire it up and have someone back there steering the tiller might save you some MPG on the truck

Carb side up is the right side up.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Carb side up just as AK2AZ said. Last year I had some work done by a Johnson dealer in Anch. Prompt work, but when I picked it up, they loaded in my truck for me. I didn't pay much attention to which side they laid it on. When I unloaded it an hour later, there was oil all over the bed of the truck, cowling was covered with oil inside and out, the carb and at least one cylinder was full of oil.

While they should have known better, it was as much my fault for not noticing they laid it on the wrong side.

Keep powerhead on 4 stroke higher than prop any water in lower unit can end up in motor oil, if a exhaust valve is open. Ask me how I know!