Thread: Cucumber seeds

Default Cucumber seeds

Hello, this is actually a question my better half is asking. For the last few years our greenhouse cucumbers haven't been very good. We usually buy our cucumber plants at a local greenhouse. My wife is hoping to try growing her own cucumbers this years from seeds. Does anyone out there have any recommendations on what kind of seeds and where is the best place to buy them from? Any tips on starting your own cukes from seeds? Thanks for your help.

Don't know about the seeds, but the plants I get from the local greenhouse these days produce some big cucumbers.

Talk to some of the local greenhouse operators.

I ussaly get them ( the plants in early may ) and keep them in the house till the weather is right then plant them in the greenhouse. One thing that you should do is put chicken wire on the side so they can reach out and grab it and grow up instead of laying down.

Might be said also that you need to re-energize the soil every few years.

Yeah, that's actually what we have always done. However, the local greenhouse that we used to buy our cucumber plants from went out of business. That left only 1 real local greenhouse left to go to and their quality of cucumbers isn't the greatest. That is why we are thinking about trying something else. Thanks for the tips anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hello, this is actually a question my better half is asking. For the last few years our greenhouse cucumbers haven't been very good. We usually buy our cucumber plants at a local greenhouse. My wife is hoping to try growing her own cucumbers this years from seeds. Does anyone out there have any recommendations on what kind of seeds and where is the best place to buy them from? Any tips on starting your own cukes from seeds? Thanks for your help.
    One of the best Cucumber's for a greenhouse is Sweet Success . We do ours in large pots on raised benches. We have then in the center of a 12 x12 greenhouse. we use concrete wire mesh hanging from the peak of the roof and that makes a great support for them . The bigger size gives you access from both sides. Burpee is where we got our seeds last year. When you seed will depend when you plan to open your greenhouse. If you have heat then you can start sooner.

+1 on the Sweet success.
    They don't need to be pollenated. Burpee has the seeds.
    http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/cuc...rod000704.html
    Most other types have to be pollenated, just like the zucchini in the garden.
    I'm planning on to try sweet success this year. I got lots last year but spent allot of time pollenating.
    Some pictures here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rush-with-Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    One of the best Cucumber's for a greenhouse is Sweet Success . We do ours in large pots on raised benches. We have then in the center of a 12 x12 greenhouse. we use concrete wire mesh hanging from the peak of the roof and that makes a great support for them . The bigger size gives you access from both sides. Burpee is where we got our seeds last year. When you seed will depend when you plan to open your greenhouse. If you have heat then you can start sooner.
    Great. Thanks Big Bend. We were actually thinking about starting our seeds soon. So they will be ready by spring. I appreciate the tips. I will pass them on to my wife.

Be carefull not to plant then too soon as they tend to grow pretty fast. I would probably wait till about 1 month before you plan on putting them in your green house. If you look through seed catalogs you should be able to find several varieties that may suite your needs. Sweet sucess is a good one if you want slicing cucumbers, but there are some pickling cucumber out there that don't need to be pollinated.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    +1 on the Sweet success.
    They don't need to be pollenated. Burpee has the seeds.
    http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/cuc...rod000704.html
    Most other types have to be pollenated, just like the zucchini in the garden.
    I'm planning on to try sweet success this year. I got lots last year but spent allot of time pollenating.
    Some pictures here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rush-with-Pics
    Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Be carefull not to plant then too soon as they tend to grow pretty fast. I would probably wait till about 1 month before you plan on putting them in your green house. If you look through seed catalogs you should be able to find several varieties that may suite your needs. Sweet sucess is a good one if you want slicing cucumbers, but there are some pickling cucumber out there that don't need to be pollinated.
    Thanks Mudbuddy and Bigdog, I will pass this info off to my better half.

We were talking seeds in another thread and Denali Seed company was recommeded. We plan on buying from them this year. You might talk a look at these https://bestcoolseeds.com/catalog/vegetables/cucumbers
    They also have growing tips for various plants. Here is the one for cucumbers https://bestcoolseeds.com/growing-ti...ers-greenhouse

Good luck!
    Kelvin