Thread: Hewescraft Open Fisherman 20'

Default Hewescraft Open Fisherman 20'

I have a chance to pick one of these up at a good price, and I'm looking for experiences and insights. I'm a fan of center consoles rather than forward steering, and it looks "right" for me.

Thanks.

I am a bigger fan of a hardtop, heater, bulkhead, and a rear door that has a handle as it greatly extends the season - at least in my opinion. Centers are pretty cool though - especially in nice weather or on the river as it is nice to be able to cast any old place, or land a fish anywhere. Don't get wrong, that is nice in the ocean too....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I am a bigger fan of a hardtop, heater, bulkhead, and a rear door that has a handle as it greatly extends the season....
    Boy, there's that for sure!

But we live a quarter mile from the boat launch and last season made over 60 trips from 2 to 12 hours long, so we're not trying to stretch things. If the weather sours we go home or stay home. But don't forget the warm gear!

Thanks again for the insights. Is your boat a Hewecraft?

I know I would be fired if I lived a quarter mile from the launch.....I have a C-Dory. I really like the Hewescraft boats though. They are a fine boat. Everyone I have talked to that has one speaks very highly of them.

When spray hits you, you may change your mind. I would think the wind chill factor would get old fast. Are you using this for ocean?
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    When spray hits you, you may change your mind. I would think the wind chill factor would get old fast. Are you using this for ocean?
    Oh yeah, ocean all the way. I've ridden in and driven the 16' and 18' Sportsman version, but I've never been a fan of steering from so far forward. I just prefer more bow in front of me. There's also the tremendous fishing advantage of all the walk-around space with a center console.

As for spray and wind chill? We have donned the rain gear to get back home when something comes up fast, but if it's rough enough for the to be an issue, we just stay home. Twenty years of running Zodiaks in the rough stuff cured me of the need to go out when it's not nice!

the open boats are colder for sure,sitting out in the elements.I hear you about fishing room though,the open boats are great for fishing,lots of room to move around

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I loved my 20' Hewescraft!!! The one and only reason I got rid of it was that I needed a smoother riding boat due to back issues. I really liked the fuel economy of the and dependability of the Hewes, and it sounds like the perfect set up for your situation. Dang, to live a 1/4 mile from the launch...that would be awesome!!!!!!

dont mean to thread jack but I've been poking around the internet looking for a starter boat like the sea runner myself.. do you guys have any suggestions on other makes and model in comparison to the sea runner? I have a family of 3 so a 18-20ft would do. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something that can handle 3-4 footers.

Hey SalmonSlut- It's going to depend a lot on the waters you plan to run, the age of your family, and other details. You might start a separate thread so it doesn't get lost. Not many folks with general interests and lots of experience will be opening this thread, but lots of folks will be quick to reply and help when they see the title of your thread.

And that's good to hear Frostbitten. I've run so many open skiffs up here over the last 40 years, cabin skiffs or any boat with the steering way forward just doesn't feel "right" to me until I get into boats a lot bigger than I want to manage launching from beaches and rocks. I've run some 26-28' cabin skiffs I've be proud to own and happy to run working out of a boat harbor and using launch ramps, but they're out of the question for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I loved my 20' Hewescraft!!! The one and only reason I got rid of it was that I needed a smoother riding boat due to back issues. I really liked the fuel economy of the and dependability of the Hewes, and it sounds like the perfect set up for your situation. Dang, to live a 1/4 mile from the launch...that would be awesome!!!!!!