Thread: Nice little afternoon ride..

Default Nice little afternoon ride..

There are still pockets of nice snow that nobody has been on this winter north of Denali State Park and south of Igloo. We headed up to a good spot between Honolulu and E. Fork Chulitna and played in the woods and lower foothills on the east side of the highway. It's nice that it's only 1 1/2 hours from the house for us.

The snow up that way is set up super well. You can still get stuck, but you have to try hard. Not any great powder, but great for exploring and hill climbs in the woods. I managed to stick the Bearcat a mere 100' off the highway in a place I couldn't turn around and nobody could get past me, facing uphill of course. Amazingly, 5 minutes of shoveling and the application of the Snobunje jumped it right out and back on top of the snow. This allowed one of the kids on a mountain sled to get by me a pack a trail. Once they made a couple passes at the first hill I went right up. From then on we worked together to pick a trail through the spruce to the high country. Bands of alders were no match for the super pig Bearcat as I smashed a trail for the younger guys to follow. Once above treeline we messed around in some of the small hills staying off the big stuff since it was so wind loaded. We had a bunch of fun jumping (yes a Bearcat can jump) off some wind ledges into a drainage and jumping our way back out of them.

The flat light was killing us and one of my bad lines found a creek that had about 5 "S" turns in about 100 yards. I managed to jump 4 of them before launching right into the 5th. I managed to case the other side and at least the Bearcat was primarily on dry land. It was at this point that the kids dubbed the Bearcat "Shamu"... a fitting name that will probably stick.

Is the Bearcat a mountain sled? Nope, but you can still have fun on it if you are physically up to it. The 4-stroke will climb hills like nobody's busniess if it has traction. It will get you places no Bearcat should go...and I found a few of them Riding a big machine like this with your brakes locked and still moving downhill at 30mph will get your attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like fun! Just throw it in reverse on those hills. I do that in Thompson on the widetrack quite often.

Yep. I just got a lesson in that from my local cat dealer. He says it's pretty weird to see roost shoot out the front of the machine

i'd like to see that this march doug....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I did that "little" slide off the hill into summit lake from the Denali Hwy, a few years back. about 4 miles west of Paxon lodge.

Me and my brother found this trail that was a lot shorta than going around, said what the heck. lol. Took off on the trail and came face -to-face with a cliff that you could'nt see down.

Hmmm- My brother said ( hes on a little 377 safria ) see you at the bottom, and dissapered for almost 2 minutes, lol then saw him shoot out the bottom. Well there is alot of weight differance between the 91 touring polaris and the safria, think its like 300#s lol. No guts no Glory, ( hate that saying) an I dropped of the edge, Glad I had brakes on that trip down, was doing everything I could to keep it in a straight line down to the bottom at over 30 miles an hour straight down with trying to control the break at the same time. Got to a couple a hundred from the bottom let go of the brake and shot out of there at about 80 mph, was puckered, but it was a thrill.

Thing was after the arctic man was over we decided to go back the same way, lol. Gave him a head start of about 3 minutes and he hit the hill, I lost sight of him and then I took off, got about 100' from the top and pertty much was pushing him over the top.lol ( he was'nt stopped but was spining as was I but somehow we made it. We had stock tracks back then, 5/8" track.

Good to hear you had fun with the kids Doug, but dang it when they start to out do you is when you have to watch out, lol ( nothing better )

Nice job Doug. See you in March.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'd like to see that this march doug....
    Me stuck? It's going to happen

lol no i want to see the reverse rooster tail!!! if i look over my shoulder and see you stuck...well lets just say i've been known to keep on driving...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We'll see if I'm stupid enough to get into something that steep

Jeff, can't wait to see you again. I'm bringin' the Captain along just for you

Lol doug, I think they had a name for that cutoff, and we were warned at the bar to not take it, I will say after riding the machines since I was a kid up here,that was the best thrill ride that I have done. But in all reality when we did it it looked like only one person went over the edge, and he made it and went back to the bar and braged about it, but you could tell by the tracks that he did'nt try to climb back up.

I give the guy credit for taking that leap, but he did'nt want any part of climbing it after he went down.

Like I said before we had the 5/8 inch track and it was a challange.

I was in pretty good shape at the time, it was like drawing back on the horses briddle and the horse sliding on his back side till you let the bit loose, lol

It was a fun ride and the guys today would say it was a piiece of cake with the new machines.

Stupid? Heck I did so much stupid sh-t when I was a kid, still wonder why I'm still here.loll

These days with the paddle tracks of 2" or more, that hill of a 1000 feet should be a piece of cake. ( the reverse breaking is a new one on me, lol, dont have a machine that could do that.)