Thread: Roadkill Program, setting the record straight.

Default Roadkill Program, setting the record straight.

There was some bad information posted yesterday dealing with having to re-sign up after January 1st, to keep your name on the roadkill list. That is not the case. I spoke with the roadkill coordinator this morning here in the Valley and she said that has never been her policy.
    So if you formed a group or belong to a charity, don't worry about having to submit new paperwork. Once submitted, the application is good for the entire winter/Spring.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Whop, do you have her contact information?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    There was some bad information posted yesterday dealing with having to re-sign up after January 1st, to keep your name on the roadkill list. That is not the case. I spoke with the roadkill coordinator this morning here in the Valley and she said that has never been her policy.
    So if you formed a group or belong to a charity, don't worry about having to submit new paperwork. Once submitted, the application is good for the entire winter/Spring.
    That may be the case for the Mat Su, but is that the case for other areas with a roadkill salvage program such as Fairbanks or the Kenai Peninsula? I saw the thread you are referring to and I could not determine where the person who posted the need to re-register was from (only listed location as "Alaska").

That is why I intentionally mentioned the Valley. I couldn't tell where the guy above was from either. Her name is Diane Johnson and her phone number is 373-8305. When I mentioned it was posted on here, she muttered about contacting the administrater's on here to set the record straight. Thought I would expedite this so I posted on what she told me.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

That is why I intentionally mentioned the Valley. I couldn't tell where the guy above was from either. Her name is Diane Johnson and her phone number is 373-8305. When I mentioned it was posted on here, she muttered about contacting the administrater's on here to set the record straight. Thought I would expedite this so I posted on what she told me.
    Could someone please provide a link to the inaccurate thread? We are more than happy to make the correction, if notified of the place where it needs to be done. Thanks for helping us provide accurate information!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Ohhh, now we're going to start correcting people when they post inaccurate info?

Mods, you'll all need to clear your schedule for the next couple years....

Thanks for clarifying thewhop....

Now that the Valley has a couple of moose federation vehicles, the hoot of it is if you get called to salvage one, they can deliver it to you right in your driveway. Throw a tarp down and butcher it up at your leisure, then haul the tarp to the dump with the innards in it. I might just give up hunting moose altogether. I'll just camp out in front of the troopers place 2 days before they accept non profit orgs from being able to turn in their applications. Almost like camping out for a rock and roll concert. See, I knew that starting up SCADA was a wise choice in more ways than one, Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Ohhh, now we're going to start correcting people when they post inaccurate info?

Mods, you'll all need to clear your schedule for the next couple years....

Thanks for clarifying thewhop....
    Yeah, I figured someone would say that. As a general rule we let things stand as written, regardless of their accuracy. We've been called on that in the past, but public forums are not so much about accuracy as they are about providing a platform for the public to speak. It's up to the writers to ensure that their information is factually correct. If the information is NOT correct, it's my observation that the public does a pretty good job correcting itself. An error doesn't sit around here too long before it is confronted and dealt with. Maybe not always in a kind way, but the truth often wins out. Not always, but often...

We rely on the regular pages of the site (not the forums) to convey accurate information. They're not perfect either, but we try. And we rely on you to help us when you see something that should be changed in the main part of the site.

That said, whatever thread is in question... feel free to chime in there and correct the mistake! This is one case where doing so will save some folks a lot of trouble.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    now that right there is funny!!!

but back on topic, the troopers down here used to (or so i was informed) clear the list at the end of every mose season, the reasoning being that if you shot a moose you don't need another. not sure if that is still the case.
    also, here at least if you salvage a moose you may be expected to give up 1/2 of it for someone on the list who is unable to go get a moose themself, single mom, senior, etc.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dang Whop, does,nt sound to bad for those of us that can't get out to much any more and ar'nt able to go out and get a roadkill.

Hey I'm all for letting the youngsters work thier a-s off and spend lots of money to get that experiance, I have over 40 years of chasing critters, ( not every year,) but if someone wants to drop one in my yard, Yahoo., lol, I'm a meat kinda guy. ( just don't drop off something that has laid for a couple of days with the guts in it. )

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    now that right there is funny!!!

but back on topic, the troopers down here used to (or so i was informed) clear the list at the end of every mose season, the reasoning being that if you shot a moose you don't need another. not sure if that is still the case.
    also, here at least if you salvage a moose you may be expected to give up 1/2 of it for someone on the list who is unable to go get a moose themself, single mom, senior, etc.
    Speaking of accuracy, Dave, when exactly is the end of "mose" season down Homer way?

-Mike

It's when you don't see them Mose's anymore. They just disappear into the woods to show up next year, LOL

The information I gave yesterday about signing up each January 1st was what I was given to understand. Sorry to misinform anyone that was not my intent. People can make mistakes. I probably made this one. Sorry if I offended you Mr. Whop. I'll look forward to hearing any thing more you have to say about it next time I see you.

Woodsmen, just was setting the record straight from the Valley. Other parts of the state might be doing it somewhat differant. I'm not offended, I screw up at times too. Heck, you might be right from your neck of the woods. It just does not apply to the Mat-Su. Don't be shy to post. if you are wrong, one of us wing nuts will try to correct you, LOL

So can I form a " I didn't fill my tag this year" club and I can still have moose meat? I'll post application info later
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Woodsmen, just was setting the record straight from the Valley. Other parts of the state might be doing it somewhat differant. I'm not offended, I screw up at times too. Heck, you might be right from your neck of the woods. It just does not apply to the Mat-Su. Don't be shy to post. if you are wrong, one of us wing nuts will try to correct you, LOL

Sounds good! You're right, it's best to know the real deal.

Grizzlyman.... I hate to admit it but yup, you can form your own little charity or non profit and have a moose dropped off in your own front yard. Tell me I'm dreaming? I wish I was!!!

my buddy and his renters they got their second roadkill for the season a couple days back, they are loaded up with meat. I think it's a preferance since they did it as a group
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

It's when you don't see them Mose's anymore.
    No more Moses??? So the Mayan calendar is correct?????