Thread: Remington 721 extractor?

Default Remington 721 extractor?

A friend came bringing me a very clean Remington 721 that won't extract shells anymore. As I recall 721 extractors have always been a problem and my hopes of finding a good one for replacement are dim. What is the alternative here?

This particular gun has probably as much sentimental value as any gun ever.....I'd like to get it fixed for him!

What caliber? I just bought some NOS 721 extractors off e-bay. I had to fight for them, but they are mine.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    What caliber? I just bought some NOS 721 extractors off e-bay. I had to fight for them, but they are mine.
    Well I just got off the phone from gunbugs and he saved the day.

I know one hunter that is going to be mighty happy knowing that grandpa's gun will soon be good to go for another generation of Missouri whitetail hunting.

Had to replace 'em in one each .30-06, a .270, a 300 Savage 722, and a .300 H&H. I gave up on 'em, and if I have to buy another one, the first thing I'll do is put the Sako type in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Had to replace 'em in one each .30-06, a .270, a 300 Savage 722, and a .300 H&H. I gave up on 'em, and if I have to buy another one, the first thing I'll do is put the Sako type in it.

Do you mean replace the extractor with a Sako type, bolt or the whole rifle? Just wondering if there was a Sako part that fit as I have a 721 in '06 I'd like to get a spare extractor for.

Mountaintrekker

you can fit a sako extractor to a remington bolt but it takes some milling- it works very well but also alters the angle of the ejection which may hit you scope in rare cases. This is not a task for your home gunsmith. Best wishes. J.

Thanks OldRgr.

gunbugs....posted a visitor message for you, but not sure how to send a PM. Just joined. Let me know if you didn't get it.
    Thanks

What OldRgr said....Used to be that gunsmiths put in a real Sako extractor, now if you take a look at Brownell's, there's several "Sako Type" extractors offered there, as well as the jig and mill fixtures for doing it. I bought one a while back, a 722 Remington, that is, that had one done...poorly....and had to find a replacement bolt. NOT an easy thing to find, I'm here to tell you! In the end, I found a 700 ADL that'd gone under a horse when it rolled and was destroyed, and the owner parted with what was left for much less than the next less expensive bolt that I could find.
    If it's done by someone who has the tools, and knows what they're doing, AND, will do the job right, it makes a good conversion. If done poorly, well, it's a heckuva deal to recover from!