Thread: Lead left in barrel and compensater s&w .500

Default Lead left in barrel and compensater s&w .500

Having trouble removing all the lead from my s&w .500. I've tried everything in my play book. Any tricks would be greatly appreciated

Have you tried wrapping some copper Chore Boy around your bore brush? That, Hoppes and good ol' elbow grease work for me.

I've heard some guys like to use the choreboy/brush dry.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks I'll give it a try.

I haven't had any issues with lead in mine- the barrel and barrels are very smooth and I'm sure that helps.

As you cleaning the compensator - I just take it out and scrap the excess lead out with a screw driver. The exterior powder stains and stuff I don't worry about.

I haven't tried LemiShine on lead but it sure brightened the cylinder on my 629 up when I put the cylinder in my ultrasonci cleaner with a LemiShine & soap solution. I'll try it on my compensator next chance I get.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Which compensator are you using? I have a 460V and have not tried the longer compensator on it yet. It is supposed to reduce lead buildup but I am not expecting any miracles.

Default Compensator

I'm using the one with the top ports that is made for jacketed bullets but I'm shooting cast 400 gr plain base and 440 GC bullets in it. It leaves black smears on the sides of the front sight and I've felt some light particles hitting my face but I don't see either as an issue. My gun is a 4" .500 - I suspect the 460V would have more leading due to the longer barrel and higher velocities but on the other hand the recoil/muzzle climb is much less.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Which compensator are you using? I have a 460V and have not tried the longer compensator on it yet. It is supposed to reduce lead buildup but I am not expecting any miracles.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I find a good way to remove lead from the bore is with a super tight fitting patch...if you have a brass or other solid dowel, it works real well to just use a mallet and tap the tight patch wrapped dowel down the barrel..you will be amazed at how much lead this will remove.

This is my answer to keeping lead out of the compensator and off of my front sight.. It also keeps that crud from hitting you in the face.

Thanks guys. I have a 4" .500 and swap the compensator for lead cast and jacketed.

Get a can of wipe-out! Wild West Guns usually has it, sportsmans warehouse too, but seen more often in greater quantities at WWG. Stuff work. Just becarefull using a brass brush, it gives a false impression of copper in bbl. Use a tight patch, I use a patch around the bore brush and that does the trick for me. Wipe out the excess liquid first, then proceed as described.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    Thanks guys. I have a 4" .500 and swap the compensator for lead cast and jacketed.
    I just put on the cast comp on and leave it, works fine with both bullets.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona