Thread: Corked boots

Default Corked boots

I just got a second pair of Lowa hunter boots. My first pair has poor traction and is showing wear so I found my unique size at Barneys and took a fresh pair home, 13 wide.

So my question is....Where can I send my first pair to get resoled and corked? With two pairs it would be practical to cork one pair in my opinion. What the cost typically?

Thanks

When I bought my Danner calks from Hoffmans a few years ago they said they would resole them for about $75. You could check with them to see if that is still the price.

www.hoffmanboots.com/

I called em and they did say it would be around $75. I'll ship them out Friday and have a set of corked Lowas soon. I think this is a great option for lowland tree country without a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I called em and they did say it would be around $75. I'll ship them out Friday and have a set of corked Lowas soon. I think this is a great option for lowland tree country without a trail.
    Great idea for a resole of an old boot. You can't beat hiking in SE in calked hiking boots.

Pardon my ignorance... What are corked soles and what is the purpose???

My polish assumption is they double as bobbers for deep sea fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Pardon my ignorance... What are corked soles and what is the purpose???

My polish assumption is they double as bobbers for deep sea fishing!
    Josh, besides keeping your feet from sinking they provide great traction hiking our slippery terrain and logs while heading up and down the mtns.

Got my Lowas back from Hoffmans. The total cost was $126, I paid for shipping both ways to and from Sitka. They charged exactly $85 for the corking. I had them maintain the heel of the boot and not put spikes on the instep, that way I could use my OR gaitors with the corks. The corks did add a noticable weight to the boot. I'm looking forward to using them on Etolin Elk this fall. I'll also have them for Sitka Blacktail hunts in the thick timber. The one concern I have is that I will be inadvertantly stepping on my opposite foot and shortening the life of my uppers rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    The one concern I have is that I will be inadvertantly stepping on my opposite foot and shortening the life of my uppers rather quickly.
    Big, Did Hoffmans put some of the "duller" cer-mec spikes on the inside edge of the forefeet? If so, it will help minimize the boot damage if you cork yourself. If not, you might want to swap them out. Happy hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Big, Did Hoffmans put some of the "duller" cer-mec spikes on the inside edge of the forefeet? If so, it will help minimize the boot damage if you cork yourself. If not, you might want to swap them out. Happy hiking.
    Or take a grinder and knock the points off.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

All the corks are the same. I'll grind em down just a little. I'm concerned the rubberized rand will be trashed after one season. Good suggestions, thanks.