Thread: Electrc Reel Line

Default Electrc Reel Line

So, I picked up the "wife" a Daiwa Megatwin 750 at the boat show and now I need to spool it up with some good line. I'd like to use it for normal halibut fishing, but also the occasional deep drop for exploring or sable fish. What do you guys think would be a good line/test braid to use? I was considering 50lb braid so I could max out fishing depth, but it's a little light for daily halibut. Ideas?

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

We bought a couple of these last season. I put 150# braid and I believe it held 400+ yards. I went to 150 more for added durability than need for stronger line.

I still prefer cranking for fighting fish but for bait checks in 200'+ and a running tide..... Awesome!!

My wife is small and while fighting a 50 pounder it started to strip some line. She was using the throttle and didn't back off it. Dang near dragged her over the side hehe. Trust me when I say that's not the time to explain drag to your wife. Especially when she out fishes you.

I will vote for 65# braid...you can land anything that swims up here if you use the drag correctly.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I will vote for 65# braid...you can land anything that swims up here if you use the drag correctly.
    I like that size also, although I have had higher test smoke my reel and spool me so fast I can't agree with that statement.

Sounds good. Looks like I'll still be able to get close to 800 yards on there.
    MMSI# 338232859

I've yet to use an electric reel, but agree with the sentiment that very high test line is rarely needed. I'm actually using Daiwa PE-4 boat braid which is rated at 55# and is very small in dia. That said I haven't seen a signifigant difference in the effect of current drag between 50, 55, 65 and 80# braid. I'd thought going with the smaller braid would allow me to hold bottom with lighter jigs, but in reality it just hasn't played out.

You might want to consider some Daiwa PE-5 boat braid.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Paul, I was just looking at that stuff online today. Does it seem to hold up well to abrasion?
    MMSI# 338232859

I have 4 reels spooled with it, but honestly I really didn't fish enough days last season to give it a fair shake. In general I like the way it handles better than power pro. I'd also say that a 6-10' top shop of 50-80# mono is your best protection against abrasion and provides just enough give where you need it most.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Rob,

I bought my wife an electric reel a few years ago as well. I recommend you pull it out every once in a while even when she is not on board to make sure it is operating correctly so all goes smoothly when she is there to use it. They sure make bait checks easy -- but I would never get one for my personal use...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I didn't really care to get one, But after hearing how nice they were from the people we bought the boat from (Wildog) she wanted one really bad. So, I figured it would be good for her or anyone with some health issues like a bad shoulder or whatever. Plus I've always wanted to try fishing really deep and see just what's down there.
    MMSI# 338232859