Thread: Sept Halibut?

Default Sept Halibut?

First, I pretty much know nothing about fishing in AK.

Coming up for a caribou hunt this fall, and find that we (4 of us) will have a free day in Anchorage on Aug 23rd.

We were wondering if it would be possible to book a 1/2 day fishing charter for halibut? None of us have ever caught one and it seems like it would be a heck of a fun way to spend part of the day.

Any and all suggestions surely would be appreciated.

Thanks, Carl

As far as half-day charters go, there aren't a lot. One that I have experience with is Rainbow Tours in Homer. It's not the really personal experience that you'll get with smaller boats, but for an inexpensive half-day charter and two halibut, it can be a great option.

You may find, however, that a lot of the smaller boats are offering specials in September. In fact, larger operators like Rainbow Tours may not still be going in Sept, as that is considered late-season and there are fewer tourists and fewer fish. There are still fish to be caught, however. Search through these forums for reputable charters, then contact them and ask about a late-season special. You may be able to get great deal for you and your friends.

-Brian

Homer you can find everal charters that do a half day. I just can't remember there names now.
    Homer is about a 4 hour drive south from Anchorage

Seward you might find a couple, but during that time Silver will be in so most of the half days there will be for the silver fishing.
    Seward is about a 2.5 hour drive south of Anchorage
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Nobody mentioned that with a spare day in Anchorage, it would take that full day to drive down to Homer and back, it's 250 miles from Anchorage. Seward is closer at ~125 miles, though I don't know if there are any 1/2 day charters in Seward.

The reason most areas don't offer 1/2 day charters is the charter boats generally run 2-3 hours from port to get to the fishing holes.

Thanks for the information, guys. Perhaps a silver salmon 1/2 day would work better for us. Thanks again.

Carl

Sorry if I posted this twice. My computer went off line.
    You can get a half day salmon trip out of Whittier. That's an hour and fifteen minutes from Anchorage. I'd be glad to give you details of my offerings if you'd e-mail me at richwest@alaska.com. A short day for halibut is pretty hard, but we could also try a little for them too.

Saltwater Safari's out of Seward usually runs a full time of fishing with half the day spent chasing halibut and the other half chasing silvers during the month of August. They have a web site and a phone number.
    Highly recommmend them
    Tennessee