Thread: october/november kodiak hunt

Default october/november kodiak hunt

im taking a trip with kodiak charters in october/november. i have read that as a transporter they can not tell us where to go to find deer,bears,goats or caribou. this will be my first hunt out there and will be near larsen bay for 5 days.im not asking for your personal hunting spot but just an idea of where would be the best place to start out there. im not really sure where deer hangout around there so any information would be great. also looking for tips on bears/goats and maybe a caribou if i see one. if you want to just send me a pm that would be great! thanks again for the help.i really appreciate it

I don't want to sound like a dick but have you even looked at the hunting regs? Almost every one of your posts has been about asking people where to hunt. You're going to find that a lot of people on here can get pretty hostile about that kind of thing. If you don't believe me wait until the draws come out and people are asking "Ok, so I won this draw and I've never been there. Can someone tell me everything about it so I don't waste a tag that I put in for and didn't do any research." The area you are going isn't open to general harvest or registration for bear. People on here would be much more likely to help a guy out if they at least do a minimal amount of research. Again, not trying to sound like an ***hole, but you can answer most of your questions yourself just by looking in the regs.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

thanks for the heads up!im not trying to push anyones buttons on here. i was under the impression that you could hunt black tail deer anywhere on kodiak island. i got the tags last year but didnt have the time or money to go out to the islands at all. as far as the black bear i just thought id bring my rifle incase i did see one. i read that there is tons of wildlife all over out there but havent really heard too much about larsen bay. do u know websites or anything where i might be able to get more information on these animals?

For Kodiak deer Just start at the beach and start climbing... you'll find em. Earlier in the year they're high in the hills, after the snow they're lower.

No black bears on Kodiak island.

Here's a site to start acquiring useful info. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ls.listmammals

Spend days/weeks/months in the archives of this forum reading.

Good luck

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

tfaudree5, tried to send you a PM but can't yet. Again, don't take my last post the wrong way. A lot of guys on here are very willing to help out someone new to Alaska whether it's fishing, hunting or trapping but they do expect people to do as much research on there own as possible. You can hunt black tail anywhere on Kodiak but some places have restrictions. There aren't any black bear on Kodiak, like iceman said. There are a lot of animals on Kodiak to hunt but most are either draw or registration hunts. Some of the best advice I can give you is to pick up a copy of the regulations and read them, front to back. New regulations will come out in June for regulation year 2012-2013. I usually pick up 3 or 4 copies, one for the truck, one for the ATV, one for the office and one for the bathroom(that's about the only quiet place to read them). There is a lot of good info in the regs, it isn't all just when and where to hunt but has good articles on field care of meat, capes and horns, salvage of meat and identifying legal animals. Once you've read them and think you have them figured out, read them again because chances are you haven't figured them out. Don't wait until the new regs come out this June, start reading now. Once the new ones come out, any changes are usually on page 5 or 6 and changes will also be highlighted in red. Also, go to http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ . There is tons of info on the ADF&G website about harvest data, judging trophy animals, field care, hunter education, maps, etc. There is also a lot more here on this website than just the forums. Go to the tool bar on the top and click on one of the links Regions and News/Tips, all kinds of good info. But most importantly, read the regs, cover to cover, more than once. Do you hunt with a bow? Do you have your bow certification? I get back from Afghanistan in April or May and I'd be glad to take you out of you can make it up to Fairbanks/North Pole. I usually do a trip up the haul road in August and September and sometimes early October for some caribou.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

[I put this post in an earlier thread, but it may also help you if you're new to the area. I addition to a good brown bear seminar (which requires a draw tag for the area you are headed for), ADF&G also will be making a presentation.]

I'd recommend you attend the SCI Bear Hunting Seminar on 25 Feb at the Denaina Center. Joe Want, a Master Guide from Kodiak, usually puts on a great seminar, and you can mingle with scores of folks who are (or want to be) bear hunters. It's a great opportunity to ask lots of questions and gain some great insight into bear habits, hunt strategies, general hunt locations, field care, etc. It's free and open to the public. In addition, there are other seminars as well covering general hunting in AK. The previous evening also has raffles, auctions, taxidermy displays, and other hunting-related items open to the public. You can soak up a lot of great info in a short amount of time, especially if you're new to AK and its unique hunting challenges. You DO NOT have to be an SCI member.

Here's more info and a link to the SCI Alaska page:

Safari Club International - Alaska Chapter
    Alaskan Hunting Expo &
    Sportsmanís Banquet

Two days of Raffles & Auctions of Fishing trips, Hunts from around the World, Fine furs & jewelry. Over 65 fine firearms to be raffled. Huge display of taxidermy with animals from all over the world, and a Photography contest.

Friday Feb 24th Open to the Public Doors open at 5:30pm

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - FREE SEMINARS

Room 1:
    9:00 AM to 4:00 PM - Bear Hunting by Joe Want

Room 2:
    9:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Join NRA-ILA Alaska State Liaison,
    Brian Judy and SCI Deputy Director of Governmental
    Affairs, Nelson Freeman as they lay out the ABCís for
    a Sportsmanís Victory this fall. If you are interested in
    your gun and hunting rights, join us for this informative
    seminar to see what you can do to make a difference.

1:00 PM to 3:00 PM - Intro to Hunting by Alaska
    Department of Fish and Game Staff

Room 3:
    9:00 AM to 11:00 AM - Gear Clinic for Alaskaís Diversity
    11:30 AM to 1:30 PM - Big Game Hunting In the Lower 48
    2:00 PM to 4:00 PM - Dreaming of Africa: Planning Your
    African Safari

SCI Alaska's website:

http://www.aksafariclub.org/

Don't forget that the Sportman show is the first of April. Lots of good seminars there also.

Randy

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    tfaudree5, tried to send you a PM but can't yet. Again, don't take my last post the wrong way. A lot of guys on here are very willing to help out someone new to Alaska whether it's fishing, hunting or trapping but they do expect people to do as much research on there own as possible.
    Calm down there NP! You want the guy to do some research...well isn't that exactly what he's doing? He's probably relatively new to AK and he's asking questions about the area, nothing wrong with that.

i really appreciate the input everyone.unfortunately i am in afghanistan until early october. im just trying to get as much info as i can while im over here so that i might get a chance to bag myself a black bear. im also going to head out in the mountains of 14c outside of eagle river and see if i cant scout out some decent goat areas. once again i want to thank everyone for the help. good luck this spring season. shoot one for me and the boys over here in the sandbox!!

Quote Originally Posted by tfaudree5 View Post
    im also going to head out in the mountains of 14c outside of eagle river and see if i cant scout out some decent goat areas.
    I'm not sure if you mean by outside of Eagle River, but there are no open goat areas near Eagle River. There are three permits given annually for goats in Eagle River, but they're allocated by drawing permit (with very low odds). Perhaps what you were referring to is the registration hunts around Lake George and/or 20 Mile River in 14C? Both are options, but getting into those areas without an airplane or a boat can be difficult, particularly in November. I don't want to dissuade you from trying, but sometimes things are a lot tougher than they look on paper.

That being said, black bear can certainly be an option for you this fall depending on how early the snow hits the mountains and how late in October you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Calm down there NP! You want the guy to do some research...well isn't that exactly what he's doing? He's probably relatively new to AK and he's asking questions about the area, nothing wrong with that.
    There are dozens of pages of info about Kodiak on this forum alone; many of them mention specific productive areas. It simply takes researching the archives.

Everything the guy needs is right here already.
    Proud to be an American!

yeah its just southwest of lake george. i found a map that circled the whole mountain as a hunting area. when i google mapped the area i found a path that looked pretty long that leads out there quite a long ways. i was just going to drive out there on a quad and see if i could see anything then climb up on of those mountains. but youre right its not really that close to eagle river.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Calm down there Frostbitten! I didn't say anything negative to the guy, just giving him some advice. You know as well as I do how people get on here, especially after this Friday. "Again, don't take my last post the wrong way." It's funny how you only quoted a portion of my post and left out the advice I gave him and references to use, even invited him up for a hunt. That was the reason for my second post because I did come across a little strong in the first one. I'm all for helping out other hunters, new hunters especially.

tfaudree5 Thank you for your service to our country, I hope you get a trophy of a life time. good luck

tfaudree5,
    Where in the ghan are you? There is several of us on Salerno that have been in AK for a few years and we could help you out. AK is confusing compared to hunting anywhere else. It really helps to link up with somebody that has somewhat figured it out. The hardest part of hunting Alaska is the logistics of the hunt (where, when, how to get there etc). Access and knowing where to go is 80 percent of it. This forum is awesome but nobody in thier right mind will give out secrets of where excatly to go.
    PM me if you are on Salerno and I'll try to help you out and I've got hunting dvds and mags you can borrow.

is it possible to get out to those mountains sw of lake george by ATV or side by side? im not really familiar with the area. i was just going to ride out there then climb the mountain for a few days.

is it possible to get out to those mountains sw of lake george by ATV or side by side? im not really familiar with the area. i was just going to ride out there then climb the mountain for a few days.

Wow you need to pick a topic and stick with it you are jumping all over the place from Kodiak to Lake George to Eagle river etc!

How long have you been stationed in Alaska?

Where are you in Afghanistan?

Have you made a deposit with Kodiak Charters and if so what are you dates? Where do they base their hunts out of?

What is your prior hunting experience?

And for Gods sake take a look at the hunting regulations, some topo maps, and the fish and game website before asking anymore crazy questions.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

ive been in alaska since may 10'. i talked to the guy from kodiak charters about hunting around the first week of november.im waiting on an email back from him. im at sabari.ive hunted small game in alaska and whitetail back in illinois. ive looked into maps and things like that but i find it kind of confusing compared to hunting back in IL. i was replying to a previous message about the mountains and figured replying here would be easier than trying to make a thread for a quick question. thanks for the info

im taking a trip with kodiak charters in october/november. i have read that as a transporter they can not tell us where to go to find deer,bears,goats or caribou. this will be my first hunt out there and will be near larsen bay for 5 days.im not asking for your personal hunting spot but just an idea of where would be the best place to start out there. im not really sure where deer hangout around there so any information would be great. also looking for tips on bears/goats and maybe a caribou if i see one. if you want to just send me a pm that would be great! thanks again for the help.i really appreciate it
    Larsen Bay area is heavily hunted by charters and transporters. Son and I have a spot close by that we set up a tent and hunt from and the amount of boat traffic we see every day is amazing. This November will be iffy for deer, need to find out more info in May as far as how the snow level affected the deer kill off.
    No matter where you are at in the bay here are my suggestions. Get up very early in the morning and have the transporter drop you off on shore about 7:30-8 am complete with head lamps and extra batteries. Climb, climb, and climb some more. The bigger bucks are usually higher up but not always. Case in point I shot one that measured 111 within 200 yards of the beach one year.
    Even with a bad kill off some of the bigger bucks will remain as they are usually the hardiest. Good luck.

ive been in alaska since may 10'. i talked to the guy from kodiak charters about hunting around the first week of november.im waiting on an email back from him. im at sabari.ive hunted small game in alaska and whitetail back in illinois. ive looked into maps and things like that but i find it kind of confusing compared to hunting back in IL. i was replying to a previous message about the mountains and figured replying here would be easier than trying to make a thread for a quick question. thanks for the info
    Don't put a deposit down till you know exactly when your block leave will be or you will be out some cash.

Drop me a pm when you are coming through SAL and I will be happy to talk with you in person about some of this.

Hunting in Alaska is very confusing but if you sit down and look at the regulations and some maps and take your time you will get it figured out. All of the information is there you just have to read between the lines at times and do a fair amount of researching.

The easiest thing to do is pick one species that you really want to hunt and concentrate on that then move to the next. When you are throwing out a shotgun pattern you get poor results and its a lot harder to figure out the regs when you are looking at the entire state and every game species.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.