Thread: Broadhead weight for Grizzly/Brown Bear

Default Broadhead weight for Grizzly/Brown Bear

I have ran a few searches through the forum using different terms and can't find anything definite. I would like to do a grizzly hunt with a bow and I just want to make sure that the equipment I have will be sufficient. As far as the bow goes I think that will be sufficient as far as draw weight and speed but my question is more about the arrows and broadheads. Thanks for any help you can give

Switchback XT 70lb
    Gold Tip 5575 @ 29.5"
    Montec 100 gr broadhead

Bo
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I'm fairly close to the same setup. I'm shooting a switchback XT at 64lbs using goldtip 7595 arrows and 125 grain slick trick broadheads. Looking at the spine chart for gold tips, I would say you might be better off shooting the stiffer arrows (7595). If your set up is shooting good though, I would suggest you stick with it. I've taken two grizzlies and a brown bear with mine and all of them died in very short order. Just make sure the placement is perfect and you'll be okay.

Default google it

Quote Originally Posted by MT_SLDR View Post
    I have ran a few searches through the forum
    Never use this site's built in search feature. Instead search this site (and only this site) by typing the following into google, except insert a colon where I have "(colon)". In my reply this site changed the "colon-O" into a smiley face, thus oblitherating the real info:

broadhead weight grizzly site(colon)outdoorsdirectory.com

Or just click here and it'll do the same thing. There is a LOT of info on this site, regarding the very thing you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I'm fairly close to the same setup. I'm shooting a switchback XT at 64lbs using goldtip 7595 arrows and 125 grain slick trick broadheads. Looking at the spine chart for gold tips, I would say you might be better off shooting the stiffer arrows (7595). If your set up is shooting good though, I would suggest you stick with it. I've taken two grizzlies and a brown bear with mine and all of them died in very short order. Just make sure the placement is perfect and you'll be okay.
    X2 ^^^. How are your groups with your broaheads,do your groups favor the right side of the target, if they are good and tight then stick with it.Spline charts are almost always set to the stiff side anyway.If not then you might want to go with a heavier arrow spline and play with point weights.

Everything groups very well, I have been shooting the setup since 2008 and never had a problem with the groups. As long as that will be sufficient I will stick with it but if I need to step up on the arrow/broadhead weight I can do that too.
    Literal Translation:

Check out Alaska bow hunting supply's website. Ed has posted ashbys info on this very topic. Most of which you will find involves foc.

With proper tuning comes perfect arrow flight and accuracy. Which gives you two things. 1. Accuracy pretty obvious. 2. As much penetration as that combo can produce. Throw a dart sideways and see what kind of penetration u get. An arrow that wobbles minnows fishtails or anything other than a laser beam will never achieve its full potential.

Just things to consider when setting up for any animal. Wood aluminum or carbon, it makes no diff!

We blame equipment failing when in retrospect we are failing the equipment! You find these things out when things go wrong.

Everything groups very well, I have been shooting the setup since 2008 and never had a problem with the groups. As long as that will be sufficient I will stick with it but if I need to step up on the arrow/broadhead weight I can do that too.
    no worries in my opinion then just remember shot placement is critical!!!!!!!
    wish you luck
    Dave

Sounds like a deadly set up you have there! Good luck!

Thank you for the help. I am just going to stay with what I have since it sounds like it will be enough as long as I can do my part. Family man, thanks for the tip on the search, that makes searching this site a whole lot easier.

Bo
    Literal Translation:

I'm sure it'll do well, I would regardless read those threads if you get some time on ashby's more current info. Good reading for anyone who bowhunts in general imho regardless of the equipment they choose to launch an arrow with.

How are you sharpening the montecs? They seem like a great looking head, kinda steep angles to them, and I cant glue them on wood arras lol. My 2 blade eskimo's did a number on my grizz this year.

That setup is perfect... The montec is a great head and arrows are plenty stiff...

I have ran a few searches through the forum using different terms and can't find anything definite. I would like to do a grizzly hunt with a bow and I just want to make sure that the equipment I have will be sufficient. As far as the bow goes I think that will be sufficient as far as draw weight and speed but my question is more about the arrows and broadheads. Thanks for any help you can give

Switchback XT 70lb
    Gold Tip 5575 @ 29.5"
    Montec 100 gr broadhead

Bo
    I shoot the EXACT same setup except Gold Tip 7595's. They shoot a lot more consistent in my bow.

Like cohlp says, those arrows are very likely under spined for your setup. It would be better with 7595's.

Switchback XT 70lb
    Gold Tip 5575 @ 29.5"
    Montec 100 gr broadhead

Bo

I misread what you wrote I thought you shot the 7595 Gold Tip with the Montec, I shot a 7595 Goldtip out of my Mathews (Dont Laugh I know its old) Legacy at 68lbs with a 29 inch draw and 125 grain Steel Force broadhead this setup has been awesome for me on bear, deer, and mt. lion... Like the other two guys said (AKDoug,cohlp) might want to move up to the 7595 Goldtips... Good Luck