Thread: Standard Trout and Grayling done on to da Big Stuff

Default Standard Trout and Grayling done on to da Big Stuff

Well after way to much time at the vise it is time to move on to Salmon tying and larger Trout flies! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4522.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	57139

Is this the first sign of spring?

I know what you mean. I just moved on from a couple of months of tying very small trout stuff for an upcoming trip south. Now I'm tying for largemouth and smallmouth bass. Talk about a switch! I was reaching down below #20 for some of the trout stuff, but so far the SMALLEST bass fly I have tied is a #6. Feels pretty good!

Enjoy the big stuff. You've earned it.

Smile

Well the State U 16 Hockey gig is this weekend and one never knows win, place or draw might end up going to Cali for Districts in two weeks so Sure Spring it is. Does that mean I get to go back to the Big Island for Spring Bird hunting and Tuna fishing.

You know I gave up on just about anything smaller than a 18-20 for Trout years ago and nothing to do with my eyes I have been blessed with 20/15 vision. To me anything smaller than a 18-20 I put in the Adams catagory I just will not got there although most times in certain areas it is called for. I instead toss out a candy bar and hope for the best works more often then you would think.

Enjoy the Day!

We're reading from the same page BlueMoose. Or at least until plans emerged for this trip. The small stuff is midge larvae and micro mayfly and stonefly nymphs. I quit at #20 Griffiths Gnats on the dries.

Best of luck on the trip to the big island. Even if your # doesn't come up, the mere chance for tuna and birds is enough to brighten a guys winter!

Now that's a pile-O-flies.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

+1
    Good lookin' pile.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Speaking of big flies, are you going to tie some pike flies?
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Moose,
    That... is a lot of work. Congratulations.
    You tied down to size 20 or so? Nice work!

Scott I normally do nothing special when I do decide to create Pike stuff couple fo water puppies and some clousers. Back in the day when I was tying for H&H oh so many years ago I got so sick of spinning deer hair I try avoid it at all cost with the exception of a minny mudler.

6X - I do make about 3 dz size 18 and 3 Dz size 20's per year seems I have become somewhat stupid and like to fish white fish on a certain lake when it is dead calm.